China Again

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lynnonthelake

Registered Shopper
My DG so called skinny jeans arrived today,no prizes for guessing where they were made,why will qvc not put on the website where the products come from.
When a beauty show is on (I can only watch when AY IS NOT IN CHARGE) They only mention if something is hand made in ITALY so why can`t we know where the rest of the stuff comes from.
Lynn.:angry:

Yesterday in the 5.00 pm show DG said the top JR was wearing had about 25,000 beads on and that it was all hand done (in China then!!) I find that very difficult to believe somehow in a top costing 30 quid.

Yes a lot of the presenters like to say hand made,as if it is really exclusive.not when it comes from China and is mass produced.
Lynn.

And the dubious working practices in the sweatshops of China, not to mention exploitation of child labour and 18 hour working days. But then, almost everything we consume these days is made in China. Even my beautiful iPad, iPhone and MacBook are made in China.

I expect certain goods to be made in China,however I still would like to know before I order anything especially anything I am going to be using on my skin.
Lynn.

And the dubious working practices in the sweatshops of China, not to mention exploitation of child labour and 18 hour working days. But then, almost everything we consume these days is made in China. Even my beautiful iPad, iPhone and MacBook are made in China.

I am a buyer for a wholesale company that supplies most retailers on the high street inc all the large supermarkets and can say that the days of sweatshops and child labour have gone. We as importers have to supply a ethical certificate to prove that all the factories we use have been checked and are up to standard. People are still under the impression that China is a backward country - yes deep in the country it is - but believe me that are are very clever nation. I would like to think Q work to those standars.
My only negative nothing to do with Q is that china still block Facebook!

The problem with China is that bribes and corruption are rife. How often are these factories really checked? Is it as soon as the inspectors have been its back to business as usual. China has some pretty non-existent employment laws that give protection to employees and of course they are paid peanuts which is why a top with 25,000 "hand-sewn" beads on it costs £40. There have been many safety issues regarding the products China produces - remember the melamine milk scandal? There have been issues with quality of pet food produced for export. People walk on by when a toddler is hit by a car in the street, and then she is hit again because no one would come to her aid and move her out of the way until the emergency services came. No one called the emergency services. China is a necessary evil, but it doesn't mean I like the place, its apparently uncaring people, its dictatorship and the use of the death penalty for the most trivial of offences. I don't like the way it treats its political dissidents and artists. I don't like the way Ai Wei Wei was placed under house arrest for merely dissenting - a right we take for granted here. I don't like that the EU has to suck a loan of a few billion dollars to bail it out of its debt crisis because we are now well and truly China's bitches. They own us. And there's nothing whatsoever we can do about it.

Last edited:
The problem with China is that bribes and corruption are rife. How often are these factories really checked? Is it as soon as the inspectors have been its back to business as usual. China has some pretty non-existent employment laws that give protection to employees and of course they are paid peanuts which is why a top with 25,000 "hand-sewn" beads on it costs £40. There have been many safety issues regarding the products China produces - remember the melamine milk scandal? There have been issues with quality of pet food produced for export. People walk on by when a toddler is hit by a car in the street, and then she is hit again because no one would come to her aid and move her out of the way until the emergency services came. No one called the emergency services. China is a necessary evil, but it doesn't mean I like the place, its uncaring and quite frankly inhuman people, its dictatorship and the use of the death penalty for the most trivial of offences. I don't like the way it treats its political dissidents and artists. I don't like the way Ai Wei Wei was placed under house arrest for merely dissenting - a right we take for granted here. I don't like that the EU has to suck a loan of a few billion dollars to bail it out of its debt crisis because we are now well and truly China's bitches. They own us.

Yes I totally agree with you but everyone of us just take a look round our homes, electricals, furnishing, lighting, clothing,cars,building materials........ the list is endless we just could not survive without them.

Yes I totally agree with you but everyone of us just take a look round our homes, electricals, furnishing, lighting, clothing,cars,building materials........ the list is endless we just could not survive without them.

I know, and doesn't China know it.

the quality of goods from china has improved greatly over the years.
what makes me lol is when really exclusive brands for say handbags use china to make them but dont put the pices down to reflect the lower costs incurred.

the quality of goods from china has improved greatly over the years.
what makes me lol is when really exclusive brands for say handbags use china to make them but dont put the pices down to reflect the lower costs incurred.

How do you know they don't? If they were made in the UK then the price may be even higher.

well mulberry are very expensive and have some of thier bags made in china but i dont see them selling for anything less because of this.
more profit for mulberry!

imo!

Don't forget the famous Welsh Clogui(sp) gold which is all made in China.

There have been so many health scares from Chinese products. Especially in the US. Pet food which killed loads of unfortunately cats and dogs. Baby food which killed so many babies(not sure of the exact number in China), fake drugs sold as the real thing and even made its way into high street chemists. Many drug companies get their products made there. Makeup with lead in it, there is no lead in makeup and hasn't been for well over a hundred years.

The Apple factory where quite a few workers threw themselves out of windows to get away and died. The conditions inside like a slave labour camp. Now they have improved or so they say and put bars on the windows to stop people jumping.

As the cost of living, and the economic climate in China is so different from in the western world, workers do not expect to earn, and employers do not expect to pay, high incomes. This is why goods are made in China, and at cheaper cost to the manufacturer. So it is quite plausible that DG range could be good quality at reasonable prices.

I have been in China, and not all items are made in factories, some times they are given to people at home in bits to assemble or given to take home to sew or finish. That is why if you find any clothes item with splashes of liquids, or powdery stuff, do wash before wearing/using.
In most of the markets in China, you will find better quality controlled goods, most of the Chinese market holders will not stock substandard clothes, because the customers are very particular when they spend their money, and the market holders depend on credibility. I really am appalled at QVC in not having better quality control than at the moment, if they had, I would not have relieved that very badly sewn slanket!
When they sell well made goods in China, why are we insulted with badly made ones?

Latest posts

Back