What happens to returned goods?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greg

Registered Shopper
Do they get put in the bin? Or do they get put back in the warehouse for some other unsuspecting victim? Are you really always getting pristine new goods or someone else's rejects, repackaged? :confused:

You've definitely started a decent thread here as others have often commented on receiving returned goods because they've found "undesirables" in the package like used tea-bags, etc........just wait for further posts which, I have no doubt, will make very interesting reading!

i haven't received any extras but have definitely received returned goods many times.

If looks like in perfect condition then sent out again same as catalogues or high street. Though QVC have been known to slip when checking returned goods.
Otherwise I will say off to the outlets, they have two in England. Or even TKMaxx, the amount of beauty products I have seen there which are or once where sold on QVC and IW as well. Earrings I believe they steam clean, heard that once on air. Could never understand the horror of the earrings and not being able to try on. Unless you have a running sore on the ear so what.

I sometimes shop at Birchwood outlet . It's obvious that quite a lot of the stock there consists of ' returns ' . Some items have been opened from the packaging and resealed and even have the original return slip in the box . Some items of clothing have obviously been worn or damaged. I don't mind as the prices reflect this and if I choose what I buy carefully it's OK .
However I've never experienced buying anything from QVC proper at full price , that has obviously been a return or used before like others have in the 2-3 years since I discovered QVC.

If looks like in perfect condition then sent out again same as catalogues or high street. Though QVC have been known to slip when checking returned goods.
Otherwise I will say off to the outlets, they have two in England. Or even TKMaxx, the amount of beauty products I have seen there which are or once where sold on QVC and IW as well. Earrings I believe they steam clean, heard that once on air. Could never understand the horror of the earrings and not being able to try on. Unless you have a running sore on the ear so what.

I often shop in TK Maxx but have never seen anything that's been open and used.

I sometimes shop at Birchwood outlet . It's obvious that quite a lot of the stock there consists of ' returns ' . Some items have been opened from the packaging and resealed and even have the original return slip in the box . Some items of clothing have obviously been worn or damaged. I don't mind as the prices reflect this and if I choose what I buy carefully it's OK .
However I've never experienced buying anything from QVC proper at full price , that has obviously been a return or used before like others have in the 2-3 years since I discovered QVC.

Surely that's a breach of confidentiality isn't it?

Surely that's a breach of confidentiality isn't it?

I have seen at the Birchwood outlet boxes of returns with a recorded delivery sticker still attached to the box with the customers address details, its been a while since I went there but, was rather surprised they would do that!

I still shudder at the thought of a reported sighting of CH* pyjama's at Birchwood with...err...evidence of "lady leakage"
Begs the Q: who checks the stuff for resale? Who the hell would buy them? and Who would have the brass neck to return something in that state? :mysmilie_460:

Just to reiterate for recent forum joiners: If you return something to QVC include a teabag (unused) somewhere in the item or packaging and (a bit like a chain letter) let's see if anyone receives an item with another forum member's tea bag. I'm so sorry I can't give credit to the person who first thought of this but it's genius :rock:

Jude xx

* Hochman not Huntley

Last edited:
I've had stuff come with the returns label in the box. I ring QVC straight away & ask they send me a new unopened item. They still try to brazen it out & say that they never send out secondhand stuff.

They love me.

I often shop in TK Maxx but have never seen anything that's been open and used.

Its a bit hard to tell as most of TKMaxx's beauty stuff is not sealed anyway. Perfume usually is. But I have seen Gale Haymen, Wild Organics,Smashbox all laying with no boxes or seals. Never sure if its just customers poking at the stuff or it was like that when it arrived.

I don't mention Peckinsniffs as it was in TKMaxx long before it appeared on QVC its a staple in the former.

sorry donna but i just don't buy the "same as high street and catalogues" comment. the difference with qvc and i believe it is a major difference, is they are the only place to encourage you to use/wear the item for 30 days and then return it. qvc is not a cheap place to buy things and the p&p is extortionate. i personally think the least they can do to maintain their supposedly high standards is to send ALL returns to the outlet stores - they still get something, it's not as though they're dumping it.

i haven't received anything dirty or damaged but i have received returned goods time and again. to the extent that if i really want something i make a point of ordering immediately because if i order it a week later, there's a high possibility it will be a return. from clearance, a very high possibility. i've no idea how they decide - full price/clearance/outlet.

when it's a return, it's immediately obvious the minute you open the box. they don't bother to repack and if it's clothing it will be as the person returned it - usually no tissue paper and a torn, sellotaped bag. it certainly never looks as though it's been taken out for inspection. if it is, it's shoved back in the same bag. i'm the only one on here who likes kirks folly - the boxes are a pale peach. a return usually has a damaged, marked box that you couldn't possibly use as a gift. i certainly expect to be able to use the named box when i've paid that much for a pair of earrings! also, how do i know those earrings haven't been worn for a month? ok, there may not be a mark on them but they're still secondhand. if they want to sell returns at a reduced price fine by me but be honest about it!

My Aunt wanted a Quaker jacket so I bought it for her. It was on waitlist and when she got it ( as I did not bother checking) there was a tissue in a pocket
Def a return
for the same money as a new one

Fingers in the pot.......

Thinking I'd try for the first time the Lulu TSV, the jar of Day Cream looks as though it has been well dipped into! :sad: Certainly don't fancy using it now and it will go back with a clear explanation. None of the four items were individually sealed and just loose in a brown cardboard box. Am trying to recall if I've had sealed 'beauty' products from other manufacturers before......I think I have. :cheeky:

I've definitely received goods on more than one occasion from QVC which have been sent out and returned by another customer. This quite often happens if you order something which is on waitlist. If they are clean and still fit for purpose - ie tried on and returned straight away because of fit etc., then I really don't mind. I would object strongly if it was something which had obviously been worn or used though.

As commented on another thread - yesterday I received some EMU boots that had the labels cut off, box taped closed and the spare insoles missing. Disgusted!

I have had items that were clearly returns.The most recent was a dress that smelt of B.O. - it went straight back at their expense!

sorry donna but i just don't buy the "same as high street and catalogues" comment. the difference with qvc and i believe it is a major difference, is they are the only place to encourage you to use/wear the item for 30 days and then return it. qvc is not a cheap place to buy things and the p&p is extortionate. i personally think the least they can do to maintain their supposedly high standards is to send ALL returns to the outlet stores - they still get something, it's not as though they're dumping it.

i haven't received anything dirty or damaged but i have received returned goods time and again. to the extent that if i really want something i make a point of ordering immediately because if i order it a week later, there's a high possibility it will be a return. from clearance, a very high possibility. i've no idea how they decide - full price/clearance/outlet.

when it's a return, it's immediately obvious the minute you open the box. they don't bother to repack and if it's clothing it will be as the person returned it - usually no tissue paper and a torn, sellotaped bag. it certainly never looks as though it's been taken out for inspection. if it is, it's shoved back in the same bag. i'm the only one on here who likes kirks folly - the boxes are a pale peach. a return usually has a damaged, marked box that you couldn't possibly use as a gift. i certainly expect to be able to use the named box when i've paid that much for a pair of earrings! also, how do i know those earrings haven't been worn for a month? ok, there may not be a mark on them but they're still secondhand. if they want to sell returns at a reduced price fine by me but be honest about it!

But lets be honest most of us don't actually wear or use for 30 days. We try it on and walk round the house to see how it looks and feels. Then return, sometimes no doubt it takes people a bit longer to decide or ask opinions of others what they think of it. I know it was said on facebook QVC page that they actually decide how much from a beauty product will be used in the 30days, half it seems. If more than that they will refuse to accept it back. Someone the other day was on complaining she returned something as faulty and has CS ring and say nothing wrong with the product and it would be returned to her!!!! She was not happy stating it was faulty. Its not even QVC who lose out on products being returned but the brand themselves. They count on you not returning items.

Thankfully I have never had anything used sent out to me, and when I do return stuff I do asap as I don't like things lying around reminding me of how weak willed and easily swayed I am!! On a more serious note I wonder if any of us would trade the 30 day mbg for lower prices?

I don't think I've ever received a used return - until now - I ordered a coat, and it came all screwed up in the a box, in fact a stupidly shaped box all re-taped. I've never received a piece of clothing in a long thin box! Anyway the arms are too tight so it's going back - at their expense!

Latest posts

Back