when do you buy the lesser priced jewellery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Milly

Registered Shopper
:confused:I have been watching in the hopes of seeing a couple of things i've requested sadly in vain
my problem is i dont bid on the pieces that are really cheap in case i dont see anything else i want on a week day night because i dont want to pay the p&p on one small item
I dont mind over the weekend because theres more chance of getting a few things over 3 nights
If i buy a piece thats a bit more priccy i will then look for a few lesser priced bits to go with it am i just tight or do others do the same
I'd like to know how others decide what and when to buy
The other thing is if you bought something thats expensive and it comes on again much cheaper would you bid again and send the dear one back?

:confused:I have been watching in the hopes of seeing a couple of things i've requested sadly in vain
my problem is i dont bid on the pieces that are really cheap in case i dont see anything else i want on a week day night because i dont want to pay the p&p on one small item
I dont mind over the weekend because theres more chance of getting a few things over 3 nights
If i buy a piece thats a bit more priccy i will then look for a few lesser priced bits to go with it am i just tight or do others do the same
I'd like to know how others decide what and when to buy
The other thing is if you bought something thats expensive and it comes on again much cheaper would you bid again and send the dear one back?

Milly the best way to request something is to use the Help Button below the Chat Box (especially if Katherine is on!)

So far I haven't bought the same item at a cheaper price (in order to send the more expensive one back) - have been tempted though! :tongue

If I just buy one 'cheapie' in a night I tend to leave checking out for a day or two to ensure I get another item to add to order.I don't mind waiting for it to arrive.

I have only really bought 1 expensive item,that was a black dimond ring,I have not seen it since and I may have paid more than it goes for again,but I love it regardless...it's the way it goes I suppose.

I have had so many bargains already,I have bought items for much less than what others have paid so it all balances out in the end.:)

Depressingly, most of the cheapies are not to my taste or are too similar to stuff I've owned for years. Some of them are sweet though, and occasionally I'll add a couple to my order just to have a look. I find I seldom keep them though, damn my expensive taste!
I have been known to bid on things that I paid higher prices for, but have never actually won any - obviously it needs to be a reasonable saving before it's worth the postage both ways to return the old and get the new. I definitely wouldn't feel in the least bad about returning the more expensive one should the occasion ever arise.

I don't buy on price, If i like something and i can afford it at the time i'll buy it, just because its a cheaper price dosent mean i wont go for it! I'll allways try add another piece just to make P+P worthwhile tho.

Hi Milly,

You can leave things in your basket for several days (perhaps longer) without checking out. If I have just one cheap item in my basket, I simply leave it there until I have something else with which to combine the order.

I have once bought something at a cheaper price and sent the more expensive one back. It was a marcasite bangle that I really wanted. I was new to Rocks and got into a bidding war, ending up paying £68, which was way over the top really (although you could easily imagine paying that on the High Street). The day my package arrived, the same bangle came on air and went for £27, so really it was a "no-brainer".

I think you might have problems returning an item if the tag had been removed, though. I've noticed that each piece is individually numbered ("17 of 30" or whatever), and you might run into problems if you returned the "wrong" one. Of course, if you were really sad you could keep the tags on all your purchases until the 30 days were nearly up, just in case they came on again cheaper - but Rocks would stand even less chance of making any money if everyone did that!

(P.S. Isn't it confusing having two channels called "Rocks" now? - I have to keep checking that I haven't accidentally posted on the wrong forum!)

Last edited:
If I bought one item tonight and one tomorrow, and checked them both out tomorrow, would that still be one P&P charge or would I have to pay two?
It's a nuisance having to check out every time you win 2 items and I wish we could save things for one big delivery once a week. It's really embarrassing having the delivery man turning up at my office several times a week :eek:

Hi Milly. I am bit like you. If I win some items I will add more to the basket to take advantage of p&p. I have not yet send anything back but would be tempted if the difference was huge

If I bought one item tonight and one tomorrow, and checked them both out tomorrow, would that still be one P&P charge or would I have to pay two?
It's a nuisance having to check out every time you win 2 items and I wish we could save things for one big delivery once a week. It's really embarrassing having the delivery man turning up at my office several times a week :eek:

Pick-a-Lily, I don't check out my items until I have at least 3 items to be posted. I don't check out my basket with 2 items in it until there is a third item that I want to bid on.

I have won 2 items tonight at £5 each, which I haven't checked out yet. If I see something else tonight or tomorrow night, then I have to check them out. If I don't, I'll leave them until Friday (coz I'm working Wednesday and Thursday) and check them out Friday afternoon and add my weekend orders to them.

That way, I only have one delivery a week and one p+p to pay - and I also cannot impulse bid while my basket is full which is a good thing for me :D

Hi there, not posted much, but am a veteren lurker! I have to admit, I wondered about sending things back when they were on at a cheaper price. Just last night, 3 items i bought a month or so ago were on and all of them went for much less than I paid. I have been with Rocks since day 1 and, like many of you, I figured get in early as the prices will go up as the audience increases. I have found in the past couple of days that prices are going down, I think because there are more multiple wins in auctions ATM. I paid £30 for a necklace when it was on weeks ago as a single item and yesterday because there were 3 in the auction it went for £10. Another I paid £21 went for £8 because there were 5 in the auction. OK, that's the luck of an auction. Would I send the more expensive one back? :rolleyes:
Just wondering if they are doing more multiples because they are trying to flog off older stock? If they are losing so much money with these cheap prices, why give more away? Or are the multiple cheappies to get people into buying, so they will add on to their order and save on the p+p?
Sorry if this has been brought up, I have been away for a few weeks :eek:

:Dthankyou all for your views and tips about the P&p i did'nt know you could keep it in your basket that long so i will be less eager to check out after two items unless i see another one that i must have to make it worth while.I must admit i only wear yellow gold but i have bought quite a few of the cheaper pendants in silver for my young nieces and great nieces as the teenagers generally go for silver and its affordable for birthdays etc.
I'm very happy with what i have purchased although i did buy a lot of jewellery off of coloured rocks before the auction site which I've seen go at much lower prices but i've had them for quite a while so i know some people are having some real bargains

Pick-a-Lily, I don't check out my items until I have at least 3 items to be posted. I don't check out my basket with 2 items in it until there is a third item that I want to bid on.

I have won 2 items tonight at £5 each, which I haven't checked out yet. If I see something else tonight or tomorrow night, then I have to check them out. If I don't, I'll leave them until Friday (coz I'm working Wednesday and Thursday) and check them out Friday afternoon and add my weekend orders to them.

That way, I only have one delivery a week and one p+p to pay - and I also cannot impulse bid while my basket is full which is a good thing for me :D

I do exactly the same as you!

Thanks bsb, I didn't realise you could do that. My DPD man came today - 'Hello, it's me again'. 'Oh', I said, 'I think you'll be here again tomorrow..' :eek: It will be so much easier if I can save stuff up for one delivery - and stop nosey colleaues from commenting on my spending habits!

Milly;58032The other thing is if you bought something thats expensive and it comes on again much cheaper would you bid again and send the dear one back?[/QUOTE said:
I've never actually managed to do that, but I had an attempt at it the other night - a ring I'd not yet had delivered, I'd paid £160 for. When I came on it was at Going Going at £82.
I put in a bid but dropped out again at £130 - didn't want to be greedy over a few quid.
Well I just now dropped into the site to find the person who won it at £130 bitching that I'd only bid it up so she had to pay more. I am so annoyed, that was not the point at all, I wanted to save some money - initially, nearly £80.
Would you say I had been out of order? I've kept loads of stuff that's gone for much less than I paid in the past, but that was a huge amount and an item I hadn't even had yet.
Just remembered someone had brought this up so I thought I'd see what others thought so I know better "etiquette" next time.
The moaner is not someone I'm aware of as an st member, though of course some of them are in disguise!

Anne I would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes. I would not take any notice of the person who posted in chat. It is an auction site and everyone can bid!!!!!

anne c since asking the question about biding on something to save money i did exactly like you on a ring i paid £140 still had the tags on etc then seen the same one at about £70 so i bid until it went upto £110 so i stopped reasoning that the time and postage was'nt worth outbidding the other person it went for about £120 in the end so i felt we both had a good deal

I've never actually managed to do that, but I had an attempt at it the other night - a ring I'd not yet had delivered, I'd paid £160 for. When I came on it was at Going Going at £82.
I put in a bid but dropped out again at £130 - didn't want to be greedy over a few quid.
Well I just now dropped into the site to find the person who won it at £130 bitching that I'd only bid it up so she had to pay more. I am so annoyed, that was not the point at all, I wanted to save some money - initially, nearly £80.
Would you say I had been out of order? I've kept loads of stuff that's gone for much less than I paid in the past, but that was a huge amount and an item I hadn't even had yet.
Just remembered someone had brought this up so I thought I'd see what others thought so I know better "etiquette" next time.
The moaner is not someone I'm aware of as an st member, though of course some of them are in disguise!

Oh good grief - forget about it Anne - they were obviously prepared to spend the £130, no-one forced them in to bidding that much, so they have absolutely nothing to complain about! :biggrin

Latest posts

Back