Caroline Lynsey you little liar

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

steveh31

Registered Shopper
Just seen Caroline selling a steam cleaner and uttered the phrase "I remember selling these for around £30 last year" currently its's £18.99. You little liar Miss Lyndsay I was interested in having one of these last Christmas and remember it being £12.99 and thinking don't have enough money on my card with p&p added so might get one later.

Maybe you need to get your memory checked Miss Lyndsay before you make rash statements.

All I ask of Bid Shopping is that it was honest it spoils what is genuinely an entertaining channel with entertaining presenters you could be so much better if you just told the truth.

That's the problem with this channel. It lies and tells white lies constantly which damages the credibility of their station, in my opinion.

I suspect that it only takes one sale at a ludicrously high price (people coming in early for a new product) for them to be able to claim that it actually sold at a higher price, even if "everyone pays the lowest price" for a particular sale. And I've seen ludicrously high 'final' prices in the past for products that are new to the channels; those infamous wash balls had a final price of around £50 in the past but I've now seen them sell for under £5.

Bid.tv presenter in lie shocker!

What next: moral outrage when it is unanimously agreed that water is wet? :wink:

I suspect that it only takes one sale at a ludicrously high price (people coming in early for a new product) for them to be able to claim that it actually sold at a higher price, even if "everyone pays the lowest price" for a particular sale. And I've seen ludicrously high 'final' prices in the past for products that are new to the channels; those infamous wash balls had a final price of around £50 in the past but I've now seen them sell for under £5.

Exactly what I was going to say! :) Before going on air, they are there for between 3-4 hours to see products and talk to producer Etc. And I know for a fact they check their previus selling prices on items. She used to work on speed auction, so she probably did sell it for £30 on speed auction one day when they had a quantity of 2 or something.

A few months ago, I remember someone posting that when price-drop went to a break, Steve McDonald's mike was left on and they heard him talking to the director asking him/her to verify what the next item would close at.

They left Paul Evers mike on one Saturday morning and he was selling a 50ft hose and he said "I can't understand this it's £20 you could go to any DIY Store now and pay less what's wrong with them?"

They left Paul Evers mike on one Saturday morning and he was selling a 50ft hose and he said "I can't understand this it's £20 you could go to any DIY Store now and pay less what's wrong with them?"

I get a feeling, and I stress that it is only a feeling... nothing concrete, that the situps are feeling the pinch. This mystery box thing and the £10 &£20 days seem to be indicative of the hard sell before going bust. They appear to be selling things for what they can get for them. If they don't have a good Christmas, I think the spring will see them in real trouble. I mean take the Bayliss and Harding gift sets. They sell fron £2.99 to £5.99 in our city. Solar lights sell for next to nothing in B&M not to mention the street markets where those blankets with sleeves sell for £5.99. And what mother in a recession can afford to buy the toys for what the situps want, even before adding postage. They aren't going to bother to tune in are they? So will miss the odd bargain.

And another thing The salesman/woman often says: 'Be quick if you want this, people are tuning in already' How do they know? They can get an idea of how many are on the internet web site, but certainly not how many are switching on!

They need to rethink their strategy. Stop selling tat, charge a realistic finishing price, and have a sliding scale postage pegged to the weight of the goods. Some of those rings can be posted for pennies bearing in mind that the channels get business rates, not what you and I have to pay.

Well it appears Speed Auction is being reined in it used to start a few days at 7.45 I'm sure it now starts everyday at 12 and simulacasts Bid until 12noon and Price Drop from 12midnight. Not really sure what purpose Speed Auction actually serves it is not available on Freeview has extremely low quantities and is basically a joke with a lot of presenters and I assume like last year it will go off air during Christmas week and simulcast Bid.

It would be interesting to know what the profit margins are between the three channels also i see the sit-up tv website now does not show the company accounts anymore after 2007.

I get a feeling, and I stress that it is only a feeling... nothing concrete, that the situps are feeling the pinch. This mystery box thing and the £10 &£20 days seem to be indicative of the hard sell before going bust. They appear to be selling things for what they can get for them. If they don't have a good Christmas, I think the spring will see them in real trouble. I mean take the Bayliss and Harding gift sets. They sell fron £2.99 to £5.99 in our city. Solar lights sell for next to nothing in B&M not to mention the street markets where those blankets with sleeves sell for £5.99. And what mother in a recession can afford to buy the toys for what the situps want, even before adding postage. They aren't going to bother to tune in are they? So will miss the odd bargain.
The mystery box thing seems to be a cross-subsidy strategy, namely selling tat at a huge profit in order to part-subsidise any genuine bargains (eg. an Ingersoll watch for £15+p&p). However this trick can only work for so long before you get more disillusioned punters than happy shoppers and you end up losing half of your regular customers, therefore expect this feature to be replaced very shortly with yet another "Warehouse Clearance" (just like Christmas, the sales seem to start earlier each year).

Three more observations: there are fewer new buyers than ever before, there are fewer genuine branded products compared to not so long ago (when was the last time you saw a Samsung TV being sold there), and the only survey I've seen them quote recently refers to perception of their value compared to the "high street" (in other words, how long is a piece of string) - I would love to know what their real customer service rating currently stands at though I guess that we'll never know.

My opinion is that they're heading for a hard fall very shortly, especially if the economy continues to worsen.

And another thing The salesman/woman often says: 'Be quick if you want this, people are tuning in already' How do they know? They can get an idea of how many are on the internet web site, but certainly not how many are switching on!

They need to rethink their strategy. Stop selling tat, charge a realistic finishing price, and have a sliding scale postage pegged to the weight of the goods. Some of those rings can be posted for pennies bearing in mind that the channels get business rates, not what you and I have to pay.

Very true there, Tasi. I do love the sit-up channels, but I really wouldn't be surprised if they did go under soon. :(

Presenters say they are doing better deals i.e. 1) lower P&P - but this would get more people buying, so it just as good for sit-up too.

2) £5 off next purchase if buying 3 items. This makes people buy 3 items in 1 weekend, when they may only buy 1, just to get £5 off.

3) £10 megadeals. Some are really good, but, speak of the devil, Caroline had a really good sewing machine on. There were 3, and she was like 'We had over 650 miss out' Well, there is £1,000 in bids pockets!

Also, they introduced multi-buy, maybe to sell more items.

They have tried all new stratergies i.e. live demo's, new branding Etc. maybe trying to get more viewers.

They seemed to start christmas earlier this year, as I'm sure most of their profit comes from Christmas.

- I'm sure they also didn't put their profits/ loss' on the web for last year, which is strange for them.

I also remember 1 presenter saying in January 2011, that 2010 was a slower than expected year for bid tv.

Three more observations:...........and the only survey I've seen them quote recently refers to perception of their value compared to the "high street" (in other words, how long is a piece of string) - I would love to know what their real customer service rating currently stands at though I guess that we'll never know.

My opinion is that they're heading for a hard fall very shortly, especially if the economy continues to worsen.

And the advert says ''....98% of people agreed that we offer better value for money than the high street...." Seems like a biased question used to me :p

And the advert says ''....98% of people agreed that we offer better value for money than the high street...." Seems like a biased question used to me :p

But it's a quote taken out of context.

It doesn't explain WHAT was better value when bought from Bid as opposed to "the High Street", nor whether P&P was included in this estimation of "value".

And since more and more people shop online as a matter of course now, is a comparison with High Street retailers really something to get potential buyers excited?

Yes, for a few months I too have got the impression things aren't as rosy as you'd believe.

The only positive thing they have done in recent time is the introduction of Alan Coxon.

If we're talking strategy;

Dump Speedauction
Dump James Russell
Dump skimpy outfits on the women helpers - they are rediculous and cheap
Dump all the tat and negotiate deals with suppliers who have credibility (i.e. branded products)
Have a freephone number
Drop the delivery charges by another £2
Include sweets in every delivery
Turn the volume down on Sally Jaxx (for Bexi's sanity)
Scrub the studio floor - it doesn't half look manky at times
Stop Peter Simon coming on at night thinking it's the ****** Oscars (and if Bid.tv is an award winning channel I'll eat my hat)
+ anything else I can't think of

Last edited:
Yes, for a few months I too have got the impression things aren't as rosy as you'd believe.

The only positive thing they have done in recent time is the introduction of Alan Coxon.

If we're talking strategy;

Dump Speedauction......

Include sweets in every delivery

Why sweets? Is that gonna get more buyers?!

And it is award winning....1st rising/ falling auction channel. Thats an award in itself.

But it's a quote taken out of context.

It doesn't explain WHAT was better value when bought from Bid as opposed to "the High Street", nor whether P&P was included in this estimation of "value".

And since more and more people shop online as a matter of course now, is a comparison with High Street retailers really something to get potential buyers excited?

I wasn't stickin up for bid there.....I know many people love bid, but I know for sure if it was random people, they would not score 98%. I'd love to know who they ask.

Why sweets? Is that gonna get more buyers?!

And it is award winning....1st rising/ falling auction channel. Thats an award in itself.

lol, in the past I've had deliveries from other companies with sweets and I really like that for some oddball reason... got a chocolate bunny once.

Fair enough with the award, I will give him that line :smile:

lol, in the past I've had deliveries from other companies with sweets and I really like that for some oddball reason... got a chocolate bunny once.

Fair enough with the award, I will give him that line :smile:

I'd love sweets with my parcels, but it wouldn't be the reason of me buying! :p

I think you have to eat your hat too! xD lol

Never liked him, dislike him even more now

Yes to the sweeties in deliveries!

It's time to retire Peter Simon.

Latest posts

Back