Smashbox BB balm

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

fletchie

Registered Shopper
Noticed Smashbox have jumped on the BB bandwagon and a new balm is on the QVC website.

I've thought about trying a BB afew times but never could decide what to go for given the hype.

I wonder what this one will be like? I really used to like SB but these days, the products bore me. They seem to have lost their magic. :sad:

Hi Fletchie,

If you want to try an 'original' BB cream I can highly recommend Misha (you can get it from eBay). It seems quite heavy at first but sinks into the skin really nicely, has a high SPF factor (50 or 70, can't remember off hand) and good value. I'm not affiliated in any way, I just tried this based on recommendations from makeupalley and now I totally love it! The new garnier one is also getting good reviews, it's available in Boots and probably a lot cheaper than the Smashbox one!

I totally agree about SB, used to love them but not impressed anymore. Saying that I'll be watching the TSV launch in the morning (11 hours ahead here in Oz!)

Therese x

I do know the Smashbox one came out early this year on QVC US and is exclusive to QVC until next year. Go read the reveiws on QVC US and see what you think. At least you can try it and if you don't like send it back. Or go to makeupalley.com and read the reviews of the other brands. Its not something I fancy, but then I am not a tinted moisturer fan either. I know Elemis is bringing one out next year which will use PCMC as the base, now that will interest me.

I know what you mean, my love affair with Smashbox quietly died quite some time ago. Now I still love the odd thing, browtech,Bonic Mascara but only the bronze colour which was limited edtion got mine from justbeautydirect,the cream eyeliners. The prices now are outrageous, infact I have found myself wandering off to Laura Mercier as they prices around the same, no animal testing and better quality.

I know next to nothing about BB creams and am not really fussed either, but Donna, you mentioned Laura Mercier. I bought the illuminating tinted moisturiser a while back. It cost more than i have paid previously for any foundation etc, but it is worth it. It does everthing I wanted and more. In addition to giving a lovely tinted base, does not sit in lines, it also seems to have a firming effect and give you a more youthfull appearance (yipee!). All in all, a success for me and I will be off to Brown Thomas to buy another one like a shot when this one runs out.

I'm not sure if it counts as a BB but I have been bowled over by the Max Factor Ageless Elixir which is a combination of serum and foundation (as opposed to cream like the Garner one which I got a sample for but didn't like because it was very thick). It really blends away redness and I don't really have a need for a Concealer or primer with it. It really goes beyond tinted moisturizer which has never given me enough coverage.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Going slightly off topic here, but I am very keen to buy the Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser, but there isn't a stockist near me and it would have to be a mail order job, but I cannot find a place which offers samples over the internet either! I really don't want to chance just getting one without getting the shade right first (/end of grumble!!)

I tried the Garnier one, but it just isn't right for me - a bit too greasy for my skin, so I guess I'll have to stick to my MAC stuff (foundations and tinted moisturiser) in the meantime. I would be keen to try the Elemis one when it comes out too!! :)

Just looking on the MAC site - there is now a BB primer cream from MAC!! It is lightly tinted and and is part of the prep & prime range, ie a primer not a full blown foundation or tinted moisturiser (from what I can tell anyway, it might be!!!) - there is also a 'fortified skin enhancer' in this range.

Last edited:
I don't buy as much SB anymore but i love the chunky shadow liner pencil from the last TSV. It lasts all day and is easy to apply, i cant see any on JBD.

I second the Missha one, you can get it rather cheaply, it comes in nice packaging (tube with a pump dispenser) and there's a good variety of shades available. Just search the bay, there are always plenty for sale. The only SB item I have is the little try me/travel kit that was a OTO a while back, but I haven't given it a proper try yet.

I agree, SB just doesn't seem as edgy for high end anymore. It used to be high quality products for reasonable prices but now it's just overpriced mass market make-up.

I actually didn't like the Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser. I'd herd so much hype about it but really it's just a light weight foundation. Very similar to Liz Earle's tinted moisturiser in my opinion, fine but nothing special. The best tinte moisturiser I've found is the Laura Geller Barely There one. It's not greasy and has subtle illuminators in it.

A third vote for Missha, I'm just waiting for a delivery from a lovely seller in Korea. The Garnier one I passed on to my DD as it didn't seem the same sort of product at all, more like a tinted moisturiser. I tested the No17 BB this weekend and that too seem little more than a tinted moisturiser.

After a recent scare and having cancerous cells removed from my cheek I've embraced the high facial SPF and the Missha I'm using has SPF 43, I sunbathed in it in Cyprus this summer and had every confidence in it. The texture of the Missha is very opaque like a full coverage foundation but it seems to disappear on my skin taking any pigment irregularities with it, hard to explain but it works for me.

It also works as the best colour for my skin (I use no 23 M Perfect BB from Missha), as I have a hereditary liver condition I often look a little jaundiced and although you'd expect yellow-based foundations to work I actually look better with a neutral or pinker foundation eg BE Medium looks better on me than Light which makes no sense! I digress, the missha one is a very neutral beige, it's almost putty coloured straight from the tube and it also looks too dark but it works, don't know how!

Jude xx

PS I don't work for the company either! :happy:

Latest posts

Back