My constant fight with my feather bed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
I have mentioned on here a couple of times how I always have this battle with my feather bed. It gradually moves down to the floor on the left hand side. I know you may say well all you have to do is get up in the morning and give the thing a good shake and that is that.

Trouble is it isn't as simple as that. The thing is damn heavy, I mean really heavy. Making the bed anyway takes me all my time and I need to do it in stages so I am hardly likely to try and shake the blessed thing every morning.

I have it on top of a memory foam mattress you see and they must just slide against each other because it has been a huge problem.

Anyway, I have now discovered that the problem is a common one and that others have used that carpet gripper stuff that you can buy in rolls between the two surfaces. It is the same stuff that you can have on your dashboard to stop your sunglasses falling off. i have been to buy three rolls today and shall be trying it out tonight and shall let you know in a few days if it has worked. It takes a few days you see for the featherbed to move enough to really annoy me. I shall be putting my leckie blanket on this time too and that is an ordeal too as the straps have to go under the mattress. I shall be worn out.

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice as I don't have a feather bed, but I can sympathize with the struggle to get your feather bed back to where you want it to be. I have a really heavy duvet and for some reason it makes it way to the left of the bed and almost touches the floor, the strange thing is I am not a restless sleeper, I have now pinned it to the mattress at one side and that seems to have stopped it's wanderings for now. I can get quite exhausted changing my duvet cover I'm 4ft 10 tall and it's not the first time I've almost put myself in the cover lol.

Dear God in heaven...a memory foam mattress, a feather bed and an electric blanket...nobody ever expects the Spanish inquisition....

Gem Genie

I sympathise because I have the exact same problem :angry: My husband always complains soooooo much about it moving and having to sort it every night before we go to bed so I will be very interested to see if the carpet gripper stuff works. Please let us know how you get on. :up:

Thanks

Hey, I'm like the princess and the pea. I have the memory foam mattress then the feather bed and on top of that I have a quilted mattress cover but now for the winter I shall be tying on my leckie blanket. I have a white cotton duvet cover which keeps my duvet clean under my normal covers and pillow protectors on all pillows.

I sleep on a none too comfortable sofa bed with tree duvets as a mattress with a bed sheet on top then my main duvet. Would a feather bed and/or memory phone mattress topper be more comfortable? As with Gem Genie, my bed seems to migrate south regularly.

I think memory foam in your case Greg. I used to sleep on a sofa bed once too and ended up with a slipped disc. I just don't know where you would store a feather bed during the day time because it would never just rol up with the sofa.

I've seen feather beds with the straps at each corner which are tucked under the mattress - does that make a difference I wonder ?

I think mine moves to the edge of the bed every time I turn over. So by the end of the week I may as well sleep on the sodding floor !!!!!! I sleep alone, and did think that perhaps the weight of someone on the other side of the bed would hold it down !, but if Shiny is in tandem and she has a problem, then 2 in a bed doesn't work either !

I DO love my feather bed, (I find the memory foam too hot), and I do think a redesign is necessary, because my idea of 'making the bed' is giving the pillows and duvet a quick plump ! as I dont have time to dismantle the bed every day.

The Creeping Feather Bed would make an excellent French & Saunders comedy sketch !

Glad this thread was started. I too am driven totally nuts by this, with OH & I having to strip & remake the bed every other night. He moans like mad & we did try without it but like our comfort too much. Let us know how you get on with the carpet tape.

New mattress protector has really helped

I've had the same problem but I have to say that my new 'Outstanding value' range M&S mattress protector has really helped. It's one of those with four elastic straps on the corners which hook under the mattress. It seems to be keeping my feather bed in place which is great. :clapping:

It's had great online reviews too:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Mark...&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=215485807&pf_rd_s=center-3

I gave up with the feather bed..too much like hard work, we have a foam mattress and it's wonderful. I'd never change now!

i have a feather bed not from qvc and it never moves. my mum has 2 and my daughter has one all from qvc and they all move.
the one i have is very well packed with feathers and has a gusset and is framed all round and box filled with a thick layer of down on top. it did have straps but still works many years later without them.
i think its the construction of the qvc ones that is wrong it should never move if made properly.
try one that is gussetted and framed and choc full of feathers and if they move return them to qvc. you should not have to make your bed everyday.

i got one when they first appeared on qvc. it never moved around but i did chuck it out when all the feathers migrated to the edges. can't say i miss it, my bed is comfy anyway and i don't have the problem of the bottom sheet pinging off any more.

Just a thought for the folks with wandering featherbeds .... do you use NN 300+ sheets?

I think I must be the only person who doesn't like them - tried once and spent the entire night freezing & waking to grab duvet as it slid off the bed. I found the sheets cold and very slippery because they were so smooth. So I enjoy my cheap and minus 300 thread count sheets and featherbed can move an inch or two away from the headboard, but otherwise is fine.

May not be related but thought I'd ask.

Well a few answers here. My FB is the NN box sided one with down on top. It does have elastic things on the corners but these won't stretch over the memory foam and the mattress underneath. I tried just putting them over the memory foam but they still move.

I too sleep alone but funnily enough just on the left hand side. My daughter says I should sleep in the middle of the bed but I seem to navigate back to the left during the night. (It is probably a subconscious need to be by the door, or the bathroom).

I never sleep all that well anyway so all these purchases over the past few years have been in an attempt to make the nights more bearable. I must admit that on the first night of the change of sheets, the bed is heavenly but by the end of the week I am climbing the walls. Stranger too is the fact that with half the feather bed hanging over the side of the bed, (still contained in the fitted sheet I might add) the remaining half is really not all that comfortable. I seem to act like a human rolling pin and flatten everything out. I can't believe I said that.

Hmm, I can only guess that it's either that particular bed or the combo of memory foam with it. I'm like you, sleep on one side of bed & very restless sleeper so mine does move a couple of inches but no mass migration. (And I'm more like a human elephant (oxymoron?) than a rolling pin lol).

Anyway, I've had mine for years (5cm gusset bafflebox) and after trying &returning the lumbar support one, I've got a new 10cm gusset bafflebox to try. Have to eat more spinach to get it hauled up the stairs but will let you know if I have the same probs. I have quite a high bed - divan with drawers underneath (full of QVC stockpile) so I put a valence sheet over mattress, then featherbed (in cover that I got with it - wonder if that makes any difference?) and a fitted sheet over that. So fitted sheet doesn't go under mattress but sort of clings to side of it. Needs a tweak to straighten but doesn't move that much.

Latest posts

Back