QVC and Children in Need

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gemma1

Registered Shopper
Do Q make a donation to C in N as they do for BCC.? As they make millions from their UK customers, it would be a nice gesture if they did.

I agree with you Gemma,it would be a nice gesture if they did donate something,especially as they are making even more money from P&P.
Lynn

Sorry, don't see why QVC should donate to Children in Need. Most companies do some form of charitable giving - QVC does Breast Cancer charity each year and they shouldn't feel pressured to give to every charity that has a telethon. I haven't given a cent to Children in Need or Sports Relief or Comic Relief this year. I am thoroughly fed up with all these celebrities hitching their wagons to these charities to help their careers along, and that the BBC indulge them in an almost obscene and sycophantic way. My money has gone to buying a lovely Buckley poppy brooch from the British Legion. I'm not working at the moment, money is tight and I don't have it to give away at present. I do however, buy Christmas cards from my chosen charity (British Sjogrens Syndrome Association - close to my heart as I have this disease - but sadly not one of those sexy charities that has a high profile and gets lots of donations) and drop some pennies into the odd collection box outside Tesco. Its all I can afford at the moment and we shouldn't feel compelled to give to these charities that get the benefit of a high profile as a result of BBC charity night events. Its up to companies to decide their level of charitable giving and who they give it to. The fact that QVC give to BCC is to be commended in itself.

I give to Children in Need but do not watch it, too many already well paid and well publicised "celebs" getting more press and T V exposure which can only benefit their careers. I give as and when I can to other charities too, have just sponsored a work colleague who did a sleep out to raise money for homeless people, I give to BCC, I bought the Buckley Poppy and I do a bit for the British Heart Foundation as heart disease took my lovely mum far too early. I do not earn a lot but still am thankful for what I have in life and so will always give to international disaster appeals too. One thing that really winds me up is the people who jump in front of me in the street to try to get donations, they make me feel gulity and cross at the same time. Oh and I also feel ambivelent about the UK as the fourth richest country in the world having children in need in the first place. Ok rant over!!

Flamenco, please don't misunderstand me. I didn't mean to suggest that anyone should feel pressurised to give to any particular charity. It was just a thought I had. I do not watch C in N as, like you, I think it is just a showcase for "celebs" to promote their new single/DVD etc. However, I do think it encourages people to donate when perhaps they wouldn't ordinarily- after all, every charity needs as much help as it can get in these difficult times. My chosen donations are to charities which benefit causes in the UK and I too think Q's commitment to BCC is admirable.

There are more deserving charities than the BBC's Children in Need. I am glad that QVC supports something more worthwhile.

I often wonder whatever happened to the kids that C in N helped 30 years ago when this all started. Do they now all have kids of their own who are in need ? And what about all those 'projects' from years ago, like play areas and such like, are they still up and running. We never get told about all these things, only what is needed now. I would have thought that over the years the country was awash with playgroup toys.

I don't bother supporting CIN anymore. I prefer to give to local charities. Why should QVC give to Children in Need? They give to other charities.

Its well known that the Cancer Research chief executive earns a big three figure sum every year. Why ?? I won't donate now to pay all the pen pushers.

Latest posts

Back