Is it fair to say .....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
..... The items sold fit into one of two or so categories. Either it is good value on a reasonable brand so they have very limited quantities, like under 20 so that they make the shortfall of money from hundreds of people calling in at 1:53 a pop and then other things with massive quantities which are cheap tat. It they make out are as good as the better stuff with low quantities?

PJ

Except the amount of tat FAR outweighs the numbers of "reasonable" goods for sale...

(Awaits rebuttal from Bennyxyz with bated breath :nod: )

..... The items sold fit into one of two or so categories. Either it is good value on a reasonable brand so they have very limited quantities, like under 20 so that they make the shortfall of money from hundreds of people calling in at 1:53 a pop and then other things with massive quantities which are cheap tat. It they make out are as good as the better stuff with low quantities?

PJ

You're not far wrong there, PJ. I'm sure much of their cheaper tat you could find in your local 99p shop.

You're not far wrong there, PJ. I'm sure much of their cheaper tat you could find in your local 99p shop.

I don't mind them selling items which are in the 'everyday use' catgory but the way think make them sound like high end goods really gets on my wick. I always think of the episode of the Simpsons where Homer and Bart work as carneval folk. When Bart shouts 'step right up we have a genuine Rolerdex' ... Sums up situp nicely!

PJ

I LOVE it when Peter Simon does his overblown melodramatic spiel about something you wouldn't look twice at in a car boot sale :giggle:

It all reminds me of the local market stalls when I was a kid: all unbranded tat that looked like it would fall apart in seconds (and invariably did), or knock-offs that did the same. :taphead:

Except the amount of tat FAR outweighs the numbers of "reasonable" goods for sale...

(Awaits rebuttal from Bennyxyz with bated breath :nod: )

Hmmmm...... :D I will say that I FEEL that they don't sell much tat. ( I bet you could see that one coming!) :p Remeber that people have different tastes, and your tat could be something which others like.

BUT when you say 'tat' do items which are worth £5 and go for £5 + P&P (items which can be useful) come under tat? If that's the case, I would agree that they do sell some tat ;)

No: there are useful items that are worth £5 or less and are sold for £5 or less.

There are also those that look like they're worth considerably less than £5 but are made out to be rare and dare I say it "high end".

Or even "designer". Which appears to be a label given to anything Bid feels like at the time.

No: there are useful items that are worth £5 or less and are sold for £5 or less.

There are also those that look like they're worth considerably less than £5 but are made out to be rare and dare I say it "high end".

Or even "designer". Which appears to be a label given to anything Bid feels like at the time.

This may be the case, but it doesn't make it 'tat' if they go ott with the description.

Ben: I KNOW you are a fan of Bid.tv, and I can think of far better things to argue about (no I can't!).

But I remember what my Grandad used to say when I was a kid. And then he ended up in court for it.... :thinking:

BUT what he would say at other times was: if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck - it's a duck.

My late mother would say "You can't polish a turd". But then, she never got the chance to see Bid's "jewellery" ranges :smirk:

Why are they not more honest with some of the so called designer brands are actually made just for situp like Tommy and Kate or whatever they are called.

PJ

Why are they not more honest with some of the so called designer brands are actually made just for situp like Tommy and Kate or whatever they are called.

PJ

But I was under the impression Tommy and Kate were in the same league as Chanel, have I been had? :confused::smirk:

This may be the case, but it doesn't make it 'tat' if they go ott with the description.

To be clear: what makes it tat is that it IS tat.

The flowery and overblown hard sell, such stating that some gold "finish" monstrosity with a disco ball stuck to it, or a "designer" bag run up by Bid.tv's own brand, would sell for tens if not hundreds of pounds in a high-class "boutique" is a lie. Unless it's a piece by a TRUE designer and could in reality command those sort of prices. There's no getting around that Ben.

And we have all kinds of laws in place to prevent sellers from making extravagant claims to flog their wares. Mis-selling is illegal.

So to sum up: Bid.tv does sell a lot of tat. Which it lies about to sell to those too uneducated or apathetic to shop around.

However, it does on occasion have branded goods on offer. But IMO you'd have to watch a LOT of Bid.tv to find them.

PJ

I agree about the T&K brand, where's it made? And what about that fool Peter Simon always banging on about the' award winning' show?

Latest posts

Back