northern nights pillows

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

fletchie

Registered Shopper
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice on pillows if possible. I have been dithering over buying new pillows as I keep buying them only to find out they are good for the bin after afew months of use.

I really want a hotel quality pillow, one that doesn't go saggy in the middle and stays plump. I have a memory foam pillow but its just not what I am after, I find them alittle to hard. I've read the reviews on the northern nights pillows and they are mixed to say the least.

Has anybody here tried them or have any good recommendations please?

Many thanks!

I like my foam pillows to be honest. I was one of those sleepers who always used to have to thump her pillow all night to get comfortable and awake many many times. Then way back in the 70's my friend mentioned that she always slept on a Dunlopillo. Her father worked at the Dunlop factory and they had a factory shop so they got me one at reduced rate.

I have had these Dunlop pillows ever since. They are the Serenity ones and I can thoroughly recommend them.

I'm a pillow fiend too, but I can't afford to pay loads.

I also find memory foam is too hard....

The last pillows I bought last March were from DAPW and were their Classic Microfibre Pillow (pack of 2) for £10.99

They are as plump and soft as the day I first opened them.
I find 2 of those is just right for my head...not too firm, but not too soft either. They aren't sagging at all in the middle.

Here they are:
http://duvetandpillowwarehouse.co.uk/product/Pillows/Range/Classic-Microfibre

There are some luxury ones too - not sure of the difference, but if I have to buy anything bedding, I will be getting it from here.
They have a 20% off offer on at the mo :clapping:

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, I'll be having a look at the different ones available! I have bought 3 pillow sets over the last 18 months, and all have been ok for a short time.

I don't want to spend a massive amount of money but having spent £60 odd quid in recent times, its becoming a false economy to keep buying new pillows ever year. I am coming to the conclusion I should bite the bullet and get a decent one and be done with it. I wake up a couple of times each night and have to 'fluff' the pillow up just to get comfy again.

Thanks for starting this thread Fletchie, I have been dithering about getting new pillows and am consfused with all the choice. Have been quite poorly lately with a chest infection that has been hard to shift and all the coughing and restless nights propping myself up in bed have convinced me to get some supportive ones. NN ones are a bit out of my budget.

if you want firm pillows for side and back sleepers nimbus do all duck feather pillows for around £15 these are still going strong for 6 years. use a good pilow protector to keep them nice and clean. i plump them up twice a week and are lovely. i try to stay away from fibre filled pillows as they twist and bunch.
next duck pillows are nice to. as long as they are well filled they stay plump.
nn the quality is too variable with all thier bedding which is a shame as i like the idea but the reality sometimes is not good.

I got a memory foam pillow reviver from QVC ages ago - it's sort of like an outer cover you put your tired (sorry, unintentional !) pillow in. It gives the support of a memory foam one but does have the give from a normal pillow. It wasn't cheap at 30 quid I think but it's been great and I'm thinking of getting another.

Well I have sometimes been tempted by the NN ones but there are just so many and I wonder a lot about the ones which have a side panel to them as to whether they will fit in a "normal" pillowcase. So I think I shall just stick to my Dunlopillo ones. I got my last lot from Makro by the way and they were very reasonably priced.

I do have a long body pillow as well which I call George ("Clooney") and also a V shaped support pillow for reading in bed sometimes.

Still suffer with insomnia though!

I bought my feather pillow from Dunelm Mill and find it very comfortable , using a much thinner cheaper synthetic one beneath. The only slight problem is that the feathers do tend to work their way out through the cover so I use a pillow protecter cover also to minimise this . Dunelm Mill had a big selection of pillows to choose from when I bought it .
I think it's important with pillows to handle them before you buy as we all have different and individual requirements.

I've bought a set of two NN feather pillows in the past which cost around the £50 mark and I was not that happy with them. Can't really say why except they just weren't comfortable. I've bought many different types and brands of pillows over the years including a memory foam one which for me was the most unnatural neck shape for a comfortable sleep ever!

A few years back I bought a latex pillow from Dunelm, it had holes in it for air to circulate (as you can get very hot with this type of pillow) and I have to say it was the best pillow EVER. Unfortunately, in a very generous and kind moment of madness, I let my mum keep it as I travelled everywhere with it when staying over night, I'd forgot it and she had used it and thought it was wonderful also. So off I went back to Dunelm to replace it and they had been discontinued!

Long story short, I did by a replacement like Gem Genie, a Dunlopillo and it is great, I would really recommend them.

Latest posts

Back