teachers gifts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
I was shocked when I heard that the other SJ makeup expert saying today that she always gave makeup as 'Teachers gifts' but as this year it was a male so AY was suggesting 'Elemis men's Grooming Kit' etc etc.
what are we talking about here?Teachers ( & I( have been there!) do a job which they are paid for.This is not to say that a card or few mince pies would be appreciated but these suggestions aka QVC are not part of the job! If I were a Head Teacher I would put a Stop on such happenings---& before I am shot down I do appreciate the jobs that teachers do these days!!

Alexis was just saying she was paying £20 for 3 of her little l'occitane hand creams for a teacher gift.
I wish I was a teacher for a qvc presenter child. You must wish end of term and Xmas to come......

I was shocked when I heard that the other SJ makeup expert saying today that she always gave makeup as 'Teachers gifts' but as this year it was a male so AY was suggesting 'Elemis men's Grooming Kit' etc etc.
what are we talking about here?Teachers ( & I( have been there!) do a job which they are paid for.This is not to say that a card or few mince pies would be appreciated but these suggestions aka QVC are not part of the job! If I were a Head Teacher I would put a Stop on such happenings---& before I am shot down I do appreciate the jobs that teachers do these days!!

I too am at a loss why people buy teachers 'gifts' for Christmas.

When I was at school all those years ago one of my teachers would be getting a lump of coal if I had anything to do with it :angry:

I absolutely agree with you.I have never bought any of my four children teachers gifts.My daughter once made a card for her teacher but that is all.
I have been in the school yard at the end of term and witnessed Mum's shoving their offspring forward with extravagant bouquets of flowers,big boxes of chocs and once a pair of beautiful leather gloves!
It's ridiculous in my opinion,I would far rather have made a donation to the school library or a chosen charity.
My children have benefited from some really great teachers and I have always made a point of thanking them prior to my kids moving on,and that has been enough.

I would consider an Elemis grooming kit to be quite a significant gift for a good friend/close relation :cheeky: I feel quite uneasy about this obsession with buying gifts for all and sundry. MInd you, I take all of QVC's gift suggestions with a very large pinch of salt - all they're really interested in is maximising their profits after all :hi:

Allison Young talks through her rear end most of the time. Anything to sell the products. I find it amusing when she is so keen for us to make up individual beauty hampers with expensive items in each, for our sisters, 120 neices, the girls at work, teachers and the checkout operator at Asda. Silly bat.

The only time I bought teachers gifts is when we left the UK 13 years ago. My boys were at primary school then and I gave both their teachers a small gift. Mainly to say goodbye and thank you. I never bought one after that.

I see what you're all saying about the extravagant nature of the gifts given by QVC guests to teachers but surely they get those "gifts" at cost price from their employer?!! so the "cost " of the gift is not so extravagant in the end. Poor Bare Escentuals lady now has to actually spend a little more because the teacher is male!

I think teachers do do a heck of a lot for our children and so i've usually given a small gift at Christmas-time as so many of my son's teachers have gone above and beyond what they are "paid" (albeit badly) for. BUT....spending ridiculous amounts is not on. It's a form of one-upmanship (womanship??) if you ask me and I'm sure many who do give ridiculous presents are doing it for an alterior motive.

Have to say many moons ago, I was a primary school teacher and although I went home (on the bus!) loaded at Christmas, it was usually simple pressies like choccies and bath salts or things parents had often been given that they clearly didn't want :giggle: I never got the expensive presents that seem to be alluded to on QVC.

I was a teacher for a few years and all I ever got was badly spelled essays and cheek. Maybe that reflects the sort of teacher I was and why I gave up (she said self depricatingly) :nod:. I remember not long ago Julian Ballantyne really went further up in my estimation when he said on air "some of the presenters here are guilty of suggesting ridiculous things for teacher's gifts...£200 for a set of bedding, I don't think so love..." :giggle:. But it is true. When I was at school in the very early 80s we never did this, if we wanted to thank our teachers we said "thank you" or made them a card ourselves. That said, what some of the teachers put up with in the classroom these days from kids - they deserve a whopping great pay rise (call it danger money), never mind a fancy schmancy Elemis gift set...

I was a teacher for a few years and all I ever got was badly spelled essays and cheek. Maybe that reflects the sort of teacher I was and why I gave up (she said self depricatingly) :nod:. I remember not long ago Julian Ballantyne really went further up in my estimation when he said on air "some of the presenters here are guilty of suggesting ridiculous things for teacher's gifts...£200 for a set of bedding, I don't think so love..." :giggle:. But it is true. When I was at school in the very early 80s we never did this, if we wanted to thank our teachers we said "thank you" or made them a card ourselves. That said, what some of the teachers put up with in the classroom these days from kids - they deserve a whopping great pay rise (call it danger money), never mind a fancy schmancy Elemis gift set...

Having been a secial needs assistant/classroom assistant in a primary school, totally agree. In the school where I worked, some body armour would have been handy too.

Thank Gd up there we are using common sense rather than what the presenters suggest ( Must sell, sell, sell) Maybe we should send them a prezzie to thank them for selling to us? Well it would generate sales & that is all we are talking about !!

I do think teachers are expected to give more and more of their time compared to 20 years ago, and do so much more then what they are actually paid for. Lunchtimes/break times given up and spend given kids extra tuition to get them through exams, after school clubs, again all to try and improve the ever so important exam results, and if you would not do that you are not considered a team player. Saying that there are a lot of teachers who really do that job as a vocation and try and help students simply because they want to, they do not expect anything in return but it is always a lovely gesture to have your time appreciated.
After saying all that I do think a set of bedding would raise more then an eyebrow as a teachers present, a little realism on the subject please QVC

one of my friends gives the nursery nurses at her little girl's nursery,a bottle of wine each as she feels they have more than earned it!! Also their pay is very low for all that they do. Do not understand the world that Q presenters describe while trying to generate sales. On the Bare Escentuals show Clare was twittering on about splitting up a set of eyeshadows that was over £20 into table gifts for "your dinner party" oh FFS!!!

Lulu Guiness suggested a purse costing over £50 as a teachers gift. Dale was on with her at the time and he obviously didn't agreed with her replying that it would have to be some sort of special teacher to get a gift like that.

As AY has no children what does she know about giving gifts to teachers. When my kids were small their teachers got a card & that was it !

Lulu Guiness suggested a purse costing over £50 as a teachers gift. Dale was on with her at the time and he obviously didn't agreed with her replying that it would have to be some sort of special teacher to get a gift like that.

Hmmm I take issue with Dale's statement! Lots of teachers are special and try very very hard, but the reason Dale should have been disagreeing is because of the price, not because someone isn't "special" enough....surely??

isn't everything OTT these days? another one is children's parties. in my day, if you went home with anything, it was a slice of cake and a balloon. now it has to be themed goody bags containing a huge haul. similarly with wedding favours etc - not to mention the enormous production itself.

Thank Gd up there we are using common sense rather than what the presenters suggest ( Must sell, sell, sell) Maybe we should send them a prezzie to thank them for selling to us? Well it would generate sales & that is all we are talking about !!

WE are using commonsense but you may depend there are people out there who are a bit uncertain or insecure and think 'maybe that IS the sort of gift that's expected'.

Latest posts

Back