Is it me or...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Florbela

Registered Shopper
...calling £40 (plus p&p) for 1.5kg of FROZEN lamb chops a GOOD PRICE is a bit silly???

Has anybody tried the King's Realm foods? Is there really such a differance in the taste of the meat? I mean to justify the price...

I mean there are really nice, good quality meats and products for the fracture of their price...

Last edited:
...calling £40 (plus p&p) for 1.5kg of FROZEN lamb chops a GOOD PRICE is a bit silly???

Has anybody tried the King's Realm foods? Is there really such a differance in the taste of the meat? I mean to justify the price...

I mean there are really nice, good quality meats and products for the fracture of their price...

It's ridiculous. Lamb chops are well expensive, but this is an absolute pi$$ take! When I work on the Waitrose meat counter and a customer asks for me for 4 lamb chops, it often comes to more than £8, and the amount of customers that say, "yep, that's fine" never ceases to amaze me! We sell good quality English and Welsh lamb on our fresh meat counters....and I can't imagine that King's realm product are going to be that much better, well certainly not enough to justify the extra £14 a kilo you'd be paying....and they're frozen!!!! Ok, freezing doesn't harm the food, though some purists would disagree, but as a general rule of thumb I think one expects to pay less for frozen produce.

waitrose meat is lovely and its nowhwere near as qvc. i buy less meat but nuy the best i can!

I agree, boffy...

I've got two children and quality of the food I give them is very important to me.
I'd rather buy a smaller quantity of something good than lots of cheap processed rubbish.

But the QVC prices are really shocking...I just wondered if the KR meats really are THAT good? Or is it like with the designer brands in fashion: you partly pay for the label and packaging?

I wasn't sure about this as meat, lamb especially, IS expensive.

So I had a look at a company I've bought meat from before, whose products are of the very highest welfare standards, additive free, small farms, rare breeds, locally slaughtered etc. etc. Their stuff is known to be top notch (and I've eaten it and it is :happy:) and accordingly priced. Their website didn't have any crown chops, but the lamb chump chops were around £19 per kg. This compares with around £23.50 per kg for the QVC ones, not including P&P (if my maths is right). I am absolutely positive that Kings Realm will not be of the same standard as the others and I think it's a rip-off.

Sorry, I'm always banging on about this but...............please support your local butcher. They're a dying breed and nearly always the meat is so much better than supermarket equivilent stuff and very often it's cheaper. They will cut exactly what you want and give advice on cooking.Soon there'll be no more butchers on the high street.

I did try the steaks when they offered those last year.

Followed the instructions to the 'T' (resting etc) they were still as tough as hell. Even the dog had a job chewing them and in the end I had to cut it up with scissors so it could eat it:sad:

Never again! Utter waste of money

Tvs

I totally agree with Rozzy we should all try and support our local butchers and I shop at the local farmshops we have quite a few near us,
one in particular has a sign up that makes me smile it says please dont ask the butcher how to cook the meat as he is a butcher not a chef,but generally the meat is much better quality and cheaper than the supermarket. I work in a small family run bakery and I constantly bang on about use it or lose it we struggle to keep going but sadly a lot of people are only interested in how cheap things are and I know for most families that is a huge consideration but its not always as cheap as you think most of our bread is about the same price as the supermarket and we sell indivdual cakes and bread rolls for people on there own .

I agree about supporting your local butcher and we are lucky enough to have one next to the independent greengrocer in our small shopping centre of about a dozen shops.

I also buy my meat from Marks and Spencer because it's good quality, tastey and above all I trust them to source it ethically and buy the best possible quality. I'm sure Waitrose do likewise.

I think you have to be so careful to know as much as poss about the meat we eat nowadays, if what we hear about growth hormones and the like are true. I have no idea of the impact (if any) of these hormones on our bodies, but I really don't want to risk it.

Linda xx

I don't eat a lot of meat and there are no longer any butchers near my home. I buy meat and chicken from M and S and tend to look as it can be traced to source and does taste very nice. I get the packs of chicken thighs and make a yummy stew in my slow cooker, freeze it into portions and it works out at a very reasonable cost. Also like their lamb, it is pricey but tastes good. Wouldn't touch King's Realm (which King would that be, King of the Jungle?) with a pair of barbecue tongs!

Latest posts

Back