Two pearls of wisdom from Carmel

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

greatgable

Registered Shopper
During the the Madison Square Diamonique hour Carmel was waxing lyrical about a diamonique ring during which she said - suppose you spend £1000 for a ring on holiday :thinking: - then did the usual you can wear the diamonique ring as a replacement so you don't have to worry about the real ring....

The Diamonique hour then transformed in to a wintertrax 15 mins. The said Carmel was doing the you can break a leg on ice routine and then said - think what that might mean hospital bills!!. I thought our hospitals were free may be I was mistaken lol.

I may be mistaken but i think in Ireland they have to pay hospital bills? Im sure someone will correct me! Of course she now live so in the UK so im not sure what she means!!

The presenters really do talk some rubbish. Mostly QVC is just noise to me but when you do actually listen you do hear some shockers!!

So many pairs of Wintertrax ... so few punters lol

Go on, help Q out - help them shift the stock.
You know you'll feel dead guilty if anyone you know within a 150 mile radius of your house falls over & all because you did not buy them Wintertrax!
Can you really live with that?

*snigger* I can!

Maybe Carmel has forgotten that she lives in the UK now. We do indeed have to pay for hospital stays/visits here in the emerald isle. I had a nice bill in September. We also pay to see the doctor €50.00 for our doctor. Some people have medical cards, which means they get all that free, but if you have any kind of job, you are very unlikely to get one.

Maybe Carmel has forgotten that she lives in the UK now. We do indeed have to pay for hospital stays/visits here in the emerald isle. I had a nice bill in September. We also pay to see the doctor €50.00 for our doctor. Some people have medical cards, which means they get all that free, but if you have any kind of job, you are very unlikely to get one.

itchy - how does that work? do you have insurance? or do people have to sell their house to pay for surgery?? i knw of both scenarios in the usa.....

itchy - how does that work? do you have insurance? or do people have to sell their house to pay for surgery?? i knw of both scenarios in the usa.....

Its nowhere near as expensive as in the US thank god. I had a small procedure recently and I was not kept overnight. That cost €150.00. I was also in 3 times a few years ago with chest problems, each visit was about 4 days and I think the bill was roughly about €100.00. They send a bill after and don't hound you for the money, but if you delay too long, you would get a threatening letter. My son had a car accident last year. The cost for the ambulance was €150.00 and treatment in A & E was another €150.00 I really can't speak for major operations or treatment for life threatening conditions, but I don't think it would run into thousands. Obviously some people are insured with VHI or Bupa, but we can't afford the insurance premiums which are high.

I hear so often NHS bashing and being born and raised in England and living there until 13 years ago, I suppose I did my fair share of whinging too, but its not until you don't have it that you realise how lucky you are. I thank the lord that my two boys had their baby and toddler years in the UK as I always seemed to be at the doctors with them for various minor ailments and prescriptions and i never paid a penny. You pay for everything here, even for children which is terrible, i think. Prescriptions can cost anything, there is no standard fee like in the UK. The NHS could be worse folks - you could have none at all!

I usually watch the feng shui hour, but had to switch Carmel off after a few mins, its her bliddy voice that does my head in.

In this country (England) if you have a car accident and need to go to hospital they will charge you for the journey and any treatment if you are claiming compensation from the other driver. The bill is usually included in any charges awarded but does not come out of your compensation.

Its nowhere near as expensive as in the US thank god. I had a small procedure recently and I was not kept overnight. That cost €150.00. I was also in 3 times a few years ago with chest problems, each visit was about 4 days and I think the bill was roughly about €100.00. They send a bill after and don't hound you for the money, but if you delay too long, you would get a threatening letter. My son had a car accident last year. The cost for the ambulance was €150.00 and treatment in A & E was another €150.00 I really can't speak for major operations or treatment for life threatening conditions, but I don't think it would run into thousands. Obviously some people are insured with VHI or Bupa, but we can't afford the insurance premiums which are high.

I hear so often NHS bashing and being born and raised in England and living there until 13 years ago, I suppose I did my fair share of whinging too, but its not until you don't have it that you realise how lucky you are. I thank the lord that my two boys had their baby and toddler years in the UK as I always seemed to be at the doctors with them for various minor ailments and prescriptions and i never paid a penny. You pay for everything here, even for children which is terrible, i think. Prescriptions can cost anything, there is no standard fee like in the UK. The NHS could be worse folks - you could have none at all!

itchy, having worked in the nhs for 40 years, i'm defensive anyway but what really brings it home to me is having several friends and rellies abroad. it is horrific and has me in tears regularly. when people start whining about the nhs (tends to be the ones who abuse it the most) it really is as much as i can do not to lose my rag. as it is, i just tell them they don't know they've been born. i had no idea you had to pay in ireland.

She spoilt the feng shui hour for me, finishing off the guest's sentences.

Yeah unfortunately she did spoil the feng shui hour, was looking forward to it, it's so calming with sarah's zen like voice...then Carmel speaks, accent great, tone like a squeaky door, shudder.

In this country (England) if you have a car accident and need to go to hospital they will charge you for the journey and any treatment if you are claiming compensation from the other driver. The bill is usually included in any charges awarded but does not come out of your compensation.

Have things changed now, then? When I worked in A/E, admittedly quite a while ago, only the charge for ambulance was made and that was against your insurance company, not you personally?

ETA I think this is a great idea by the way, and maybe should be rolled out to all sorts of situations where an ambulance/hospital treatment is needed and insurance can pay. I expect it will lead to even higher insurance costs though.

Last edited:
I heard her saying today about her emu's being rubbish in the bad weather, funny given that when they are selling emu's on qvc, they use their suitablitly for bad weather, as a big selling point!

I heard her saying today about her emu's being rubbish in the bad weather, funny given that when they are selling emu's on qvc, they use their suitablitly for bad weather, as a big selling point!

That was probably so we all went and ordered more WinterTrax. :wink: They seem to feature in loads of shows now. Each time I turned QVC on last week there was someone standing on a block of ice with the presenter taking Vanilla the invisible dog for a walk.

If their stocks are that high I can imagine them appearing in Beauty shows ("Wear your WinterTrax to go out in the garden for a blast of fresh air after applying your moisturiser" .......... "Wear your WinterTrax when you go to the Post Office to return the things you didn't want from QVC .........."} etc. etc.

I did get some when they first aired ....... but the presentation, plus waffle, didn't sell them to me - the product did! And at least, if we do get a Winter like last year, I won't end up in hospital with a broken anything if I remember to wear them.

Latest posts

Back