Does Anyone Have Any Advice Please?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

RomanGirl

Registered Shopper
Some time ago I bought a ring that was a TSV
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.696469.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

I've lost a couple of stone and the ring is now too big. I asked a local jeweller if it could be resized & he said that it could but the cost might be more than the ring's worth. I asked how so as it's silver & a dyed quartzite stone. He had another good look at it and said he was sorry but it's just coloured glass!!
My quandary is what should I do now - contact QVC and complain, go to Trading Standards or just write it off as a mistake?
Thank you

i had a similar problem and it depends on the setting tbh. sizing can make the stones fall out. also there are differnt ways of sizing a ring a jeweller once said they can laser it...go for a second opinion but i do feel sizing can jeprdise the setting at some stage good luck!

I would go to another jeweller and get it confirmed that it is just coloured glass. Then ring customer care and ask what they are going to do about it. Coloured glass cannot be described as a gem stone. Do let us know what they say, good luck.

Get a second opinion by all means, but if you seriously feel QVC misled you then I suggest you complain to them in the first instance. If you have no satisfaction, then go to Trading Standards!

Some time ago I bought a ring that was a TSV
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.696469.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

I've lost a couple of stone and the ring is now too big. I asked a local jeweller if it could be resized & he said that it could but the cost might be more than the ring's worth. I asked how so as it's silver & a dyed quartzite stone. He had another good look at it and said he was sorry but it's just coloured glass!!
My quandary is what should I do now - contact QVC and complain, go to Trading Standards or just write it off as a mistake?
Thank you

i had a similar problem and it depends on the setting tbh. sizing can make the stones fall out. also there are differnt ways of sizing a ring a jeweller once said they can laser it...go for a second opinion but i do feel sizing can jeprdise the setting at some stage good luck!

I read the message the same as you, boffy. But, on re-reading, I realise that RomanGirl has lost WEIGHT and not a couples of stones from her ring!

RomanGirl: I would contact QVC first and see what they have to say.

Personally, I'd cut my losses, sell it on eBay & buy it again in a smaller size or a similar one.
I was quoted £35.00 the last time I went to a jeweller to ask about resizing.

I find it hard to believe that QVC would be stupid enough to sell glass misdescribed as a gemstone but if they have done this then they deserve to be reported to Trading Standards.

Was it a proper jeweller that gave you that opinion? It's just that some of the high street chains do not really have experts, they are simply there to sell and wouldn't really know some of the less obvious stones by sight. Did he test the stone with a pen type gadget?

If it were me I would get a second opinion from a traditional jeweller and then call Trading Standards for their advice - and I would be bloomin' livid!

Try here for advice:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/consumer-advice/oft-and-cd/

I have to say that I am with WhyMe on this. I can not believe that QVC would risk massive negative publicity by selling fake glass stones. Also I would argue that is a great skill to be able to distinguish between the 1000's of stones without special equipment
think I would get a second opinion, and if they also say its coloured glass def get on to QVC
as far as sizing is concerned it can have a detrimental effect on the setting, so be careful, cut your looses, sell on ebay and buy another

I took a channel set diamond ring to a jeweller (a proper jeweller who actually makes jewellery rather than just selling it) to have it re-sized and she told me it would cost me £30 and would be at my own risk as when a ring is made smaller it is bent and therefore the channel set stones may well pop out, either when she was working on it or even at a later date. She suggested she fit a size adjuster which is a piece of gold which she fixed to either side of the inside of my ring like a bridge. It then fitted me perfectly, is very comfortable, can't be seen at all and only cost me £9.50.

I would definitely contact customer services and see what explanation they can dream up.

Quarztzite is just a naturally ocurring 'glass' through tectonic processes on sandstone so technically both QVC and the jeweller are correct. The fault is in describing something commonly used for railway ballast as a gemstone!!

Can I just congratulate you on thw weight loss, RomanGirl? Hope it was intentional and not due to ill health.

Thank you all for your help - the jeweller is a local man who has been trading for many years (his Dad had the shop before him), so he's very knowledgable. I'll speak to QVC & see what they say.

"Can I just congratulate you on thw weight loss, RomanGirl? Hope it was intentional and not due to ill health."
Thanks for your concern. No I'm not poorly, I just decided I needed to lose a far bit of weight & as I'm not getting any younger thought the sooner the better. I started with 1,000 calories a day to get started, & gradually increased to 1,400. I 've lost 2 stone in just over a year, & counting calories means I can have the odd bit of chocolate or biscuit if I include it. The first day I started I'd eaten all my calories by 11 o'clock in the morning!!!!

I have that ring too and agree with Durou, the stone itself is not valuble but a type of quartz, dyed, nothing p;recious about it really. The value IMO is in the silver, as its very hefty.

Congrats on weightloss tho Romangirl, at least its too big for the right reasons.

Last edited:
Just looked up quartzite on ebay, I am amazed how much Lola Rose items are made of it, crazy prices. It's very similar to sandstone and that, lovely as it is (I like it very much) is way over priced by QVC and LR for what it is.

This is a very interesting question as quartz is a type of glass (used for making halogen bulbs, for example, because it withstands high temperatures that would melt ordinary glass).

Wiki gives some info about it, but I would ask Trading Standards for their thoughts about it. Copy and paste Q's description to somewhere safe in case it sells out or Q removes the item or alters the description.

...... I just decided I needed to lose a far bit of weight & as I'm not getting any younger thought the sooner the better. I started with 1,000 calories a day to get started, & gradually increased to 1,400. I 've lost 2 stone in just over a year, & counting calories means I can have the odd bit of chocolate or biscuit if I include it. The first day I started I'd eaten all my calories by 11 o'clock in the morning!!!!

I also lost weight by counting calories a few years ago (I am changing the subject a bit, sorry). I didn't follow any particular diet, I just ATE WHATEVER I LIKED but accurately weighed it and counted the calories. As a man, I was allowed 2000 calories per day, which I divided into breakfast, lunch and dinner. Like you, sometimes I would just fancy loads of chocs, or other "naughty" foods, but it didn't matter so long as I stuck to my calorie limit.

BTW, I also found that, if I felt hungry but DID NOT GIVE IN and eat at the wrong time, about 1/4 hour later the hunger would subside anyway.

I no longer count calories, but have maintained my weight as I now feel like eating much less than I used to when I was gaining weight, and very rarely feel hungry. I still have choc most days lol.

It ipps me off when you go in to a jeweller to ask them to do something and they then blithely comment it's not worth it or it's a bit o' glass. I had a tanzanite ring that I wanted made bigger. I tried a well known jeweller who told me that it couldn't be done because the stone was a tension setting would probably pop out. A few years later on I've developed a really good relationship with a small independent jeweller who does repairs himself. He's done a few repairs for me and made my engagement ring to my own design. I mentioned the tanzanite ring and he asked me to bring it in. He said there was no problem with the setting as it was more of a semi bezel setting. He altered it and I've worn it with no problem. He resizes rings for about £20!

I also took an inherited ring to him to ask about remodelling it. It was a red stone and I had no idea what it was. He said it could be glass but it equally could be a garnet or a ruby. It turned out to be glass but he couldn't tell without looking at it really closely.

Get a second opinion. And if that second opinion says it's definitely glass then talk to QVC. In terms of getting it altered, if you love it then get it altered. If you love it, it doesn't matter what the stone is. Unless you feel you've been cheated.

Sorry. It took me so long to write my post I missed your post about knowing and trusting your jeweller. Duh!!

Thirst can be mistaken for hunger. If you desire supper try a drink of water. This has worked for me and I've been surprised that I wasn't actually hungry. Even an apple would be preferable for the waistline than toast this late in the day.

And I forgot to say I've got that ring too, in the red. And I agree with Loujareth there's a lot of silver in that ring. Might be cheaper to buy a smaller size and sell the old one on eBay.

Latest posts

Back