cringe inducing sales patter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

silversequin

Registered Shopper
maybe I am being over sensitive but last night while I was doing a bit of catch up emailing I had Q on in the background and it was the Trespass 2 hour show presnted by Debbie Flint. I was giving it only half an ear as I was doing stuff and also fleeces are not top of my wish list. Anyway the comments that did permeate my brain was Debbie F suddenly declaring "What about the thousands of people who die every Winter from the cold? do you have an elderly relative who does not put their heating on? then get them one of these....."

To be fair I am not quoting her verbatim, but she definately mentioned the "Thousands who die every Winter from the cold" and then went on to waft on about a Trespass fleece being an ideal purchase.

I was shocked when I read a few weeks ago that around 27,000 people die in this country due to cold weather and it rather shocked me to hear this stastic being bandied around as a sales technique.

Anything for the hard sell evidently. I suspect the presenters are put under enormous pressure to sell as much as they can, but I agree very bad taste to cash in on other peoples misfortune.

DF does occasionally cross the line :cheeky: But if you think that's bad you should listen in to Bid TV - shocking!

I work in mental health and many of the people I do home vists to do not have the heating on because they simply do not have the money to pay the bills. I find it shocking that people in this country die as a consequence of cold weather and I guess that having seen at first hand how some people live I was somewhat disconcerted to hear Debbie F use it as sales spiel. The Trespass woman did look a bit akward and did not join Debbie in her enthusiastic praise of fleeces as a way of tackling social problems.

Latest posts

Back