Halogen Oven

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

amber&ruby

Registered Shopper
Did any one else see this yesterday it looked quite interesting and appeared to do most things that you would normally cook in a big oven. Has any one tried this and how did you get on with it ?. I thought that along with my QVC induction hob I could do away with the big cooker and save money on the electricity. My only hesitation is the length of time it would take to be delivered, I need it now, not at Christmas !!

I bought an Halogen, Convenction, Infrared oven earlier this summer from Cooper's of Stortford. Does lovely jacket potatoes, doesn't come with a true cookery book though. Just gives round about directions for stuff that you'd know how to do anyway. No recipe book was a big let down and so far I've not been able to find one specifically for this oven.
I'm still waiting on a replacement lid as some of the lids were found to have a fault so there was a 'recall' although they didn't want the possibly dodgy lids back, just had to dispose of them responsibly.

JML do a version too and you can see it on one of the Sky channels, they'd also don't really show you any recipes, I have no idea if a recipe book comes in with that one.

I won't order anything from IW as my husband had an item not turn up once and I had an order accepted, received email everything was hunky dory and then two days later saying that I wouldn't be receiving the item, goodness knows why.

I have one like Jan's and absolutely love it. I was a bit thrown, too, by the lack of a recipe book, but you rapidly get a feel for it The basics are given in the booklet and you can go from there. It's terrific not having to wait for the oven to heat up and even better that I don't have to keep taking baking trays etc out of my big oven, where I tend to store them!! I'm such a lazy cook! Silliest reason for buying it? - it gives the kitchen a lovely glow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Chess, I want to be so adventurous with it but as yet I haven't.

Would love it if you've got any tips please?

Come to think of it if you're up to writing a recipe book, LOL?

I've looked endlessly on the web and things come up on forum but it's only other buyers asking the same things, LOL.

Wow MOMAD, great detective work, will be ordering that before the weeks is out.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

I got that one, with the lift off lid ^^ from JML and I wouldn't be without it now. I use it at least once a day :)

I don't even know how my big oven works, never used it........apart from the grill :rolleyes:

What sort of things do you use it for Mommabear, need lots of pointers for when I can reuse mine (when the darned lid appears)?

Thank You.

Anything that you would put in an ordinary oven Jan, can go in there

I love watching the yorkie puds rise :)

I pre do baked potatoes in the microwave and then pop them in the halogen for half and hour. I like the skins to be really well done and hard. This does them a treat.

Meant to edit but looks like I've quoted myself :rolleyes:

Naughty naughty Mrs J. LOL.

In the oven I've got now which is top oven gas and bottom large oven electric I've never been able to do yorkies, it just doesn't seem to get hot enough. I was ace at them in the old all electric oven. Thank goodness for Bessies.

May I ask your method and recipe please, temp, how long for, pre heat the tin with the tiny bit of fat?

Thank you.

Just came back to add that my neighbour didn't quite believe me so I told her to go for it, she came over, whipped up the yorkie mix, preheated the oven, put them in and lo and behold flat soggy yorkies, LOL, with burnt outsides. She believed me then.

Naughty naughty Mrs J. LOL.

In the oven I've got now which is top oven gas and bottom large oven electric I've never been able to do yorkies, it just doesn't seem to get hot enough. I was ace at them in the old all electric oven. Thank goodness for Bessies.

May I ask your method and recipe please, temp, how long for, pre heat the tin with the tiny bit of fat?

Thank you.

Just came back to add that my neighbour didn't quite believe me so I told her to go for it, she came over, whipped up the yorkie mix, preheated the oven, put them in and lo and behold flat soggy yorkies, LOL, with burnt outsides. She believed me then.

I only use Aunt Bessies :D bit of a palarva making them for one :rolleyes:

Just experiment with it Jan

Oh Chess, I want to be so adventurous with it but as yet I haven't.

Would love it if you've got any tips please?

Come to think of it if you're up to writing a recipe book, LOL?

I've looked endlessly on the web and things come up on forum but it's only other buyers asking the same things, LOL.

I don't think I'm really terribly adventurous yet, but I just do things for a bit less time and at a slightly lower temperature - not very helpful, I know, but I just had to alter my mindset and remind myself that it was still an oven, just easier to keep an eye on. I know that sounds a bit daft, but it's true. The other thing that motivated me was that my ancient mother had used one for years without batting an eyelid - she used to just fling things in and set it going!

BTW, was your lid one of the faulty ones? Mine, I reckon, was OK, so I'm still using my oven, albeit I stay around near the end of cooking time. I'm still waiting for my replacement lid, but I have to say the firm could really teach IW a bit about Customer Service the way they keep in touch about the lid!

If you do a search for NuWave ovens, the oven is basically the same design. They have a link to cooking tips and charts. I printed it out and it covers all the basics quite well and there are some recipe suggestions for each month.

HTH, MaryA

Latest posts

Back