remember when you could get a bargain?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tasi

Registered Shopper
Until recently, although they mostly sold rubbish, now and again you could get a real bargain. I remember buying several everyday leather handbags from them, and some circon costume jewellery; cheap and cheerful but this was reflected in the price. A couple of years ago, we bought a Viners 6 piece cutlery service in a wooden case much cheaper, even taking into account the postage, than the High St stores. We use it regularly when friends come for a meal. We haven't bought anything for ages and ages because they now sell such tat and the sales person's hard 'Delboy' spiel really makes us switch off after a few minutes. You used to be able to watch the situps when there was nothing else on TV and it was entertaining and I suspect that there were many, many like us, switching over on the off chance, seeing something and buying. Bargains are few and far between now and I suppose many miss them because they are put off by the sales people shouting,jumping about and almost shoving their faces through your telly.

Until recently, although they mostly sold rubbish, now and again you could get a real bargain. I remember buying several everyday leather handbags from them, and some circon costume jewellery; cheap and cheerful but this was reflected in the price. A couple of years ago, we bought a Viners 6 piece cutlery service in a wooden case much cheaper, even taking into account the postage, than the High St stores. We use it regularly when friends come for a meal. We haven't bought anything for ages and ages because they now sell such tat and the sales person's hard 'Delboy' spiel really makes us switch off after a few minutes. You used to be able to watch the situps when there was nothing else on TV and it was entertaining and I suspect that there were many, many like us, switching over on the off chance, seeing something and buying. Bargains are few and far between now and I suppose many miss them because they are put off by the sales people shouting,jumping about and almost shoving their faces through your telly.

They had a pen set (on www.johnlewis.com) for £43. Bid non stop dropped it, and went for £12

Thing to remember with these price drops is that they control the quantity, meaning that it's easy to have a "loss leader" with a quantity of 12 that gets snapped up in seconds only to be followed by gold tone tat with a quantity of 200 sold for a much bigger profit - in theory Sit-up aren't stupid enough to sell all of their merchandise at any significant loss unless they honestly have real trouble selling anything.

Thing to remember with these price drops is that they control the quantity, meaning that it's easy to have a "loss leader" with a quantity of 12 that gets snapped up in seconds only to be followed by gold tone tat with a quantity of 200 sold for a much bigger profit - in theory Sit-up aren't stupid enough to sell all of their merchandise at any significant loss unless they honestly have real trouble selling anything.

Yes, how true and, sadly, there will always be naive people around who believe they are getting a bargain and some folk don't realize how much p&p they have to pay so don't add it to the price.

I haven't watched this channel for years but did watch last night and couldn't believe how much it has gone down the pan. I used to get quite a bit of stuff off them and was well pleased with the prices.

Last night I watched the jewellery with Peter Simon and some girl assistant, who seems to chip in with simple comments so as not to let Peter Simon tell us anything worthwhile about the jewellery. I didn't like any of the pieces, they looked rubbish to me but the biggest thing is, you can't tell what you're buying. They hardly ever mention what sort of gold it is, if it is, or the weights, nothing.

I haven't watched this channel for years but did watch last night and couldn't believe how much it has gone down the pan. I used to get quite a bit of stuff off them and was well pleased with the prices.

Last night I watched the jewellery with Peter Simon and some girl assistant, who seems to chip in with simple comments so as not to let Peter Simon tell us anything worthwhile about the jewellery. I didn't like any of the pieces, they looked rubbish to me but the biggest thing is, you can't tell what you're buying. They hardly ever mention what sort of gold it is, if it is, or the weights, nothing.

Yeh, I agree. i saw about half an hour of it and did seem to be very low quality tat being sold at rather high prices and of course the ridiculous P&P charges and the premium rate phone charges. I feel a bit sorry for Peter Simon. He could be doing a lot more with his career.

I've seen quite a number of jewellery items recently where there has been absolutely no mention of what the setting is made of - not even on-screen. How ludicrous! Just goes to show what utter crap they are peddling these days :hi:

How can people buy it without knowing anything about it? that's what gets me :sad:

On a positive note, I did watch again for a while this afternoon (getting hooked) and they had a nice glass beaded bracelet, which are all the rage at the moment and cost a lot of money, which went for £10!!!! They had hundreds of them and were not surprisingly flying out. So I suppose, some good stuff, some bad. I know you can start at a tenner from the getgo with the P&P and the phone call and that has to be taken into account.

Yeh, I agree. i saw about half an hour of it and did seem to be very low quality tat being sold at rather high prices and of course the ridiculous P&P charges and the premium rate phone charges. I feel a bit sorry for Peter Simon. He could be doing a lot more with his career.

back in the days when we were very new to the shopping channels, we bought a steam iron from situps... I think it was elitech (sp?) for our holiday home. The first time I used it, as the steam built up the handle got so hot I burned myself. No blisters or anything like that, just a sore red palm. One of my husband's golfing buddies is a Trading Standards official and took the iron for his lab to have a look at it. I believe there was a recall on them as they were unsafe to use. I didn't see the recall on the station or the web page, but of course, might have missed it. We've not bought anything electrical from situps since. I'm sure this was a one off, but I'm still very wary

Reply to "...they probably only had a few of them...."

They actually had 500 of them.

*Greg disliked this post*

What is there to dislkike? You may not like me, but you shouldn't have the right to dislke everything which isn't necessary.

Reply to "...they probably only had a few of them...."

*Greg disliked this post*

What is there to dislkike? You may not like me, but you shouldn't have the right to dislke everything which isn't necessary.

Benny, don't rise to it...it aint worth it!

Of course hark at me the hypocrite, if anyone starts in me I'll happily rip them to pieces!!!!

Last edited:
Benny, don't rise to it...it aint worth it!

Of course hark at me the hypocrite, if anyone starts in me I'll happily rip them to pieces!!!!

LOL!! :D I have tried not to say anything, but it seems the last comment I made is the only one in the last month he hasn't disliked! :L

Latest posts

Back