Stuhrling

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They're probably fine for the money, and if you like it, I'd say buy it....however, I don't think it's the "prestige" brand they'd like us to believe it is.They tend to slip it in sentence containing the words Longines, Tag Heuer, Patek Phillipe, Rolex in the hope that it won't stick out like a sore thumb and we'll think yes, I think I've heard of that brand when we haven't . The Swiss name is for effect only, they may even manufacture them in Europe, however, they're are constructed from cheap components from the far east. The guide prices are a joke.

Welcome to St.com btw x

Thanks for that, and thanks for the welcome.

AAMOF I bought a Stuhrling Montague from the States. Even allowing for freight and customs duty it still worked out about £50 cheaper than the UK. It arrived this morning (having taken five days to get here from the USA: if it hadn't been for the weekend it would have got here sooner) and i have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality. For a start, it's a big watch. It feels substantial and looks it, too. I don't go for the crap about Swiss heritage and all the nonsense that goes with it (although it is highly entertaining to watch Peter Simon mangle his superlatives on Bid), and it is of course built in China (the little sticker on the back of the presentation box confirmed that). But then again, so what. Even Apple build their stuff there and nobody complains about the build quality they deliver. In other words, 'Made In China' is no guarantee of shiteness.

In fact, I also bought a Thomas Earnshaw watch on-line from Bid the same evening, which also arrived this morning, and again I've been very pleasantly surprised. It's another big, substantial watch, nicely finished and well-presented, and for £59 is not a bad price at all. Probably spot on, in fact. For that kind of money you're not going to get miracles but this does look and feel like good value. Let's hope the damn thing still works in six months time.

While we're on the subject of pricing, who sets the opening bid and how are these watches priced up? Have these items ever been valued independently? Have they ((Bid, or any of the others) ever been hauled over for this? Forgive my ignorance, but I really am new to the hysterical world of on-line shopping.

And finally, and while we're at it, the best watch I ever bought was a 'rolex' I haggled down to 40 euros in Turkey, eight years ago. Known affectionally in the family as 'Daddy's rollocks', It keeps brilliant time and has never, ever, let me down. Still looks great, too. Just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back