Lies, lies & more lies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

£1 MEGADROP1

Registered Shopper
Yet another jewellery avalanche tonight and the lies are coming thick and fast, That annoying assistant Helen Bates is on playing her part perfectly making out everything should be so expensive

Before selling this http://bid.tv/PreviousAuctionProductPage.aspx?Cat=15&SubCat=38&Offer=4834442 Peter Simon made a big fuss of how the computer had dropped the price down to £45 when they wanted £70 for it, I checked online and the start price is £45, If the regualtor just watched this channel for an hour they would be busy for a year

I think Helen is the most annoying and irritating assistant they have ever had

Last edited:
What just happened on Bid the asistant showed the wrong ring or something wasn't taking much notice.... just flicked over from Price-Drop poor Lisa cannot sell a thing tonight she is blaming X Factor but it's getting embarrassing.

I'm recording it so if nobody else posts will let you know later, tv has been taken over for X Factor, can't stand that these days

The overacting by Peter and Helen tonight is making me laugh out loud. From singing show-tunes appallingly badly to Helen's almost orgasmic excitement over the jewellery tat, it's certainly car-crash TV at it's entertainingly best. :clapping:

Googling Chinese jewelery manufacturing plants you'll realise just how much folk are being ripped off.

Prices start as little as $3 for 10pcs of the same item! Obviously these kind of sellers expect you to buy in bulk but the amounts of profit Bid must make are obscene.

The watches by the 'unknown' brands are around 10 - 18$ each.

I wonder where the Tommy & Kate sweat shop is located?

Yesterday (Sunday) evening featured an alleged 9ct gold-plated 'Leader' watch on Bid TV at 7.10pm, with Peter and Helen doing their (mainly unwatchable) sales pitch - I recorded this out of curiosity just to see what the final price would be.

Here's a sample of the Simon spiel:

(Close up of the watch slowly rotating from side to side)

"Not only with precision movement, not only with classic woven oyster folding bar bracelet, not only with matt and highly polished links, this is Leader; this is a design of watch that on his wrist, against his jeans, his evening wear, your nights out, delivered well in time for Christmas. This is from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day, this is the surprise and the look on his face, this is the joy of having in his top drawer a gold watch, not only from the pub or the restaurant, not only to sit at home with family and friends; this is the watch that only with the adjustable links, not only with a folding bar oyster bracelet, not only with the gold finish, this is master Leader; it is time of innovation, it is precision and with that gold you have a finish to a watch that is elegant, sophisticated; it's the warmer of the golds, it's a 9 carat gold finish, not only with that..."

Read the above carefully and not only do you come to the conclusion that he says "not only" a lot, most of it is (to be honest) implied nonsense, e.g. "design of watch that on his wrist, against his jeans...", "it is time of innovation" (exactly what is actually innovative about a presumably dirt cheap Chinese watch isn't specified), etc., etc.

And Leader is a "brand of quality, of innovation technology, of sophistication and style". Apparently.

After about 6 minutes of this, Peter says: "Now can I just tell you, you'll love this. You're wondering why, at home, those numbers haven't come on your screen. I can tell you that the computer, and this is the world we live in today, and, I know they've got, good things about them, and I'm sorry I - I am computer illiterate, and, er, the computer has, apparently, it trips out, and it has gone to forty-five pounds". (Helen gasps and squeals "It hasn't!") "Just watch this, this supposed to go at sixty-seven, you've just got this for forty-five quid. Good luck if you get it, 0904 251 2000, Merry Christmas." (Sirens) "That's a great buy. You have just got a Leader gold watch...for forty-four, ahh..." (Helen shouts hysterically: "Pete! This is fantastic!") "0904 251 2000. Good luck if you get it!" (No locked lines, suspended auctions or anything like that, predictably.) Peter gets excited and Helen goes into extra hysterical overdrive mode...

Start quantity 544, all sold about 15 minutes later for a closing price of £20.62 + £7.99 p&p + £1.53/call if not bought via the web.

Yesterday (Sunday) evening featured an alleged 9ct gold-plated 'Leader' watch on Bid TV at 7.10pm, with Peter and Helen doing their (mainly unwatchable) sales pitch - I recorded this out of curiosity just to see what the final price would be.

Here's a sample of the Simon spiel:

(Close up of the watch slowly rotating from side to side)

"Not only with precision movement, not only with classic woven oyster folding bar bracelet, not only with matt and highly polished links, this is Leader; this is a design of watch that on his wrist, against his jeans, his evening wear, your nights out, delivered well in time for Christmas. This is from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day, this is the surprise and the look on his face, this is the joy of having in his top drawer a gold watch, not only from the pub or the restaurant, not only to sit at home with family and friends; this is the watch that only with the adjustable links, not only with a folding bar oyster bracelet, not only with the gold finish, this is master Leader; it is time of innovation, it is precision and with that gold you have a finish to a watch that is elegant, sophisticated; it's the warmer of the golds, it's a 9 carat gold finish, not only with that..."

Read the above carefully and not only do you come to the conclusion that he says "not only" a lot, most of it is (to be honest) implied nonsense, e.g. "design of watch that on his wrist, against his jeans...", "it is time of innovation" (exactly what is actually innovative about a presumably dirt cheap Chinese watch isn't specified), etc., etc.

And Leader is a "brand of quality, of innovation technology, of sophistication and style". Apparently.

After about 6 minutes of this, Peter says: "Now can I just tell you, you'll love this. You're wondering why, at home, those numbers haven't come on your screen. I can tell you that the computer, and this is the world we live in today, and, I know they've got, good things about them, and I'm sorry I - I am computer illiterate, and, er, the computer has, apparently, it trips out, and it has gone to forty-five pounds". (Helen gasps and squeals "It hasn't!") "Just watch this, this supposed to go at sixty-seven, you've just got this for forty-five quid. Good luck if you get it, 0904 251 2000, Merry Christmas." (Sirens) "That's a great buy. You have just got a Leader gold watch...for forty-four, ahh..." (Helen shouts hysterically: "Pete! This is fantastic!") "0904 251 2000. Good luck if you get it!" (No locked lines, suspended auctions or anything like that, predictably.) Peter gets excited and Helen goes into extra hysterical overdrive mode...

Start quantity 544, all sold about 15 minutes later for a closing price of £20.62 + £7.99 p&p + £1.53/call if not bought via the web.

That is the watch I mentioned above which had a start price of £45 so the computer did nothing, Lies is all it is, Its sad to see how much these channels have gone downhill, I've watched for around 8 years now, They never used to lie anywhere near as much, Were led to believe that nearly every item they sell is less than what they paid for it

They expect us to believe that they let assistants like Helen Bates pick the order of the jewellery, it always amazes me how they seem to miss out a higher end item but when it comes on at £35 oh look its the cheap tat that was supposed to be on now but we were wanting £50. £60. £70 quid for this at ome, oh my goodness, Good luck if ya get it

On to the gold finish jewellery items, Last night I saw multiple times them mentioned as Gold on the coming up previews, Only when the item was live did they start calling it Gold finish, sometimes there is a pause in the words gold and finish too, YOU HAVE 18CT GOLD................finish for £6.36 OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As I said in the original post if the regulator watched an hour of these channels they would be busy for the next year with all the dodgy tricks they play, saying something was at £67and the computer has taken it to £45 when a check online shows it started at £45, How do they get away with it?, Peter is also always saying what money they wanted for a product was whatever the start price was or in many cases considerably higher than the start price

It seems whenever there is a complaint they just play dumb and get a slap on the wrist, there should be a bigger penalty then it might make them change their ways if there was a big fine or something to pay, As soon as the jewellery avalances come on these days I switch off very quickly its boring to watch and just annoys me lol with all the lies they spout

Last edited:
That is the watch I mentioned above which had a start price of £45 so the computer did nothing, Lies is all it is, Its sad to see how much these channels have gone downhill, I've watched for around 8 years now, They never used to lie anywhere near as much, Were led to believe that nearly every item they sell is less than what they paid for it
I posted that description thinking that it sounded similar to the watch you had mentioned, but afterwards realised that it must have been exactly the same sale you were talking about, not having watched this properly before typing a partial transcription of the product sale. (That's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back!) Only bothered to record this because I spotted the watch whilst flicking through the channels and wondered what the closing price would be for such a cheap-looking watch.

It's also worth noting that the website description mentions "gold tone" whereas Peter Simon initially described the watch as "9 carat gold plated"...I know which of those descriptions are more likely to be accurate :tongue2: (And a genuine misdescription for which you could inform the Advertising Standards Authority.)

I remember watching Bid-up.tv years ago (as it was known) on Freeview and have occasionally watched these channels over the years, though I hadn't watched any of these channels for more than a year until recently. I have never bought anything from these channels and only view them for what little "entertainment value" they have when there's nothing else to watch.

Also a dream I had last night featured a "Christin Lars clock" so I really must get out more :tongue2:

Latest posts

Back