The Vault finale - clearance avalance special

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

£1 MEGADROP1

Registered Shopper
Tonight was the last of the vault Jewellery avalanche specials, I know its a sad day :sad: but as it was the last 1 I made a note of the start price, what each item sold for and some of the comments made by Peter & Marina

1) £200 - pocket watch sold for £46.43

2) £130 - Tahitian pearl & diamond pendant sold for £29.85

3) £100 - 1.50ct midnight sapphire & 0.25ct topaz Solitaire ring sold for £17.39 (Peter said the topaz were diamonds at first) apparently we would pay £5 for the box, Marina says she is genuinely worried for the company with 16 more items to go

4) £175 - Mio argentino solid sterling silver plaited bracelet 12.4g sold for £17.38, Peter says we have £100 worth of silver ere, We paid a fortune, expect to pay £175 usually

5) £90 - 18ct gold finish fancy belcher necklace, bracelet & earring set sold for £17.34, Peter says the bracelet alone would be more than £20

6) £80 - Mio argentino sterling silver birthflower narcisus pendant sold for £16.58, Marina says its Tiffany inspired and you would pay more than that for the chain on the highstreet, Peter says we wanted £80 for this

7) £35 - Padua 2012 collection rosa viola edition charm bracelet sold for £16.54, Peter " charms alone are £30", Marina " You wouldnt get 1 charm for that price" Marina has a charm bracelet with more charms which cost £40 each, Peter " We have sold this for £35 before", Marina " Could not get 1 charm like this on the highstreet for this price"

8) £50 - La lune diamond pendant sold for £13.94, Peter " We wanted £50 for this, We paid a fortune", Silver alone would cost more, Marina "The chain probably would", Peter " La lune is such a big company", Peter "Plastic bangles cost more than this £29.99. £30, Marina " I paid more for costume jewellery"

9) £100 - Limited edition Travilla watch finished in 18ct gold sold for £13.92, Peter "We paid a fortune, we paid way more than £13 and pennies, It should go for £100"

10) £50 - La Lune sterling silver diamond pendant sold for £13.80, Peter "Sterling silver per gram has gone through the roof, You could not buy the silver for this price" we should have easily sold it for £50, Bought Betty 2 bars of soap at £8.99 each"

11) £35 - Genuine 24ct gold finish leaves charm bracelet sold for £13.63, Peter & Marina "We have sold this for £30, never seen prices going this low", Peter "£13 FOR GOLD" Now going round the table saying :O we have this and this M oh and this for less than £13 and pennies OMG

12) £? - Chelsea FC limited edition mens bracelet watch Sold for £13.61, Peter " Producer tells me we paid just short of £50 for this, Id get it and put it on ebay for £50"

13) £45 - Jewel time mother of pearl & black agate Sweetie link bracelet sold for £13.59

14) £? - Lebelle & son swiss movement watch £13.58, Marina "Seen it go for £100 before"

15) £40 - 1.30ct eqv D* classic solid sterling silver solitaire ring sold for £13.57

16) £35 - Speccio collection crystal cross pendant sold for £13.54, Peter "We paid a fortune, its got to be the buy of the night"

17) £35 - Genuine 24ct gold finish plaited style bracelet sold for £11.61, Peter " Not only did we pay a fortune, not only should this sell for £35, car parking will cost you more for 5 or 6 hours" (said it was a gold bracelet on 2 occassions)

18) £35 - Speccio collection "Eclipse" floating crystal pendant sold for £11.55, Peter was going on how it symbolises the sun, moon and earth and how it brings Health, love and protect you, The symbol has seen more sunrises than anyone on earth, even before christ

19) £30 - 0.58ct blue topaz solid sterling silver earrings £8.80

Once again it amazes me how Marina randomly chose the cheapest products on the whole at the end of the night and also how Peter Simon likes us to think Not only did they want the start price, Not only should it sell for that, not only did they pay an absolute fortune and not only this is the cheapest its gone, its a better buy to you at ome

Last edited:
Bid.tv should be fined for letting its presenters talk such absolute b*ll*cks.

If it is the "nation's biggest discount channel" that buys in bulk and cheaply and then wants to pass savings on to its customers (as other presenters like to brag), HOW can Peter Simon be allowed to get away with saying "We wanted a lot more for this" or "We paid a fortune for this"?

Maybe our resident Bid.tv expert can explain? Bennyxraymachine - can you shed some light on this conundrum?

Bid.tv should be fined for letting its presenters talk such absolute b*ll*cks.

If it is the "nation's biggest discount channel" that buys in bulk and cheaply and then wants to pass savings on to its customers (as other presenters like to brag), HOW can Peter Simon be allowed to get away with saying "We wanted a lot more for this" or "We paid a fortune for this"?

Maybe our resident Bid.tv expert can explain? Bennyxraymachine - can you shed some light on this conundrum?

I sure can :p

I do agree with what you've both said, but, the " We wanted £xx (the start price) for this" isn't really lieing, as they could WANT it, but it's never gonna happen! lol

Also the "This has sold for £xx before" - Sit-up will keep a log of every item and the price it goes for, so they know how much it has gone for in the past. So lets say they have a £10 braclet, but it was on speed auction one day, and they had a quantity of 2, and it sold at £40, they would legally be able to say " This has gone for £40 before" Even though, it near enough always goes for nearer the lower price. Unfortunately, they have seemed that they have to use these 'tactics' more and more recently, and it isn't as fun to watch.

:mysmilie_14: £1 Megadrop, you must have been on some very strong meds to have sat the whole way through that. We salute you!

The only "real bargain" in that list is item 5 (18ct gold finish fancy belcher necklace, bracelet & earring set sold for £17.34), and I bet the quantity was very small for that particular item.

I dunno how Simon et al sleep at night. If I accidentally upset someone I worry all night but to deliberately do it well I hope I never would but I couldn't live with what they do.

I would love an insider to record the talkback from the gallery each night you can almost imagine them laughing at us telling Simon the lines he says.

The one that made me laugh was the Elvis charm bracelet. He kept on saying the names of the songs he sung, as if that would make us wanna get it. Pah.

PJ.

I sure can :p

I do agree with what you've both said, but, the " We wanted £xx (the start price) for this" isn't really lieing, as they could WANT it, but it's never gonna happen! lol

But THAT doesn't make sense.

Bid.tv are (allegedly) a business, and like all businesses is out to make as much profit as possible. Some businesses like to be "exclusive", and flog a few overpriced products to do so. Other businesses like to buy and sell in bulk, making their profit on quantities sold.

From what most presenters say, as Bid is a "discount" channel with huge buying power it's in the second category. It would never want to charge anywhere near an original manufacturer's RRP or it wouldn't get sales (I'm talking about branded goods here, and not that Tommy&Kate or Elitech rubbish).

So either Bid is lying when it says it's a discount company that buys cheap to sell cheap, or it lies when it says it's lost money on products because it really wanted to charge more, but somehow couldn't.

Either way it gets sales by not telling the truth to potential customers. Which I thought was illegal in the UK.

WHY you want to work for, and defend(!) such a company is beyond me.

Bid.tv are (allegedly) a business, and like all businesses is out to make as much profit as possible. Some businesses like to be "exclusive", and flog a few overpriced products to do so. Other businesses like to buy and sell in bulk, making their profit on quantities sold.

From what most presenters say, as Bid is a "discount" channel with huge buying power it's in the second category. It would never want to charge anywhere near an original manufacturer's RRP or it wouldn't get sales (I'm talking about branded goods here, and not that Tommy&Kate or Elitech rubbish).

So either Bid is lying when it says it's a discount company that buys cheap to sell cheap, or it lies when it says it's lost money on products because it really wanted to charge more, but somehow couldn't.

Either way it gets sales by not telling the truth to potential customers. Which I thought was illegal in the UK.

It does make sence. They can WANT what they want. I could have a plastic chair, and I may WANT to sell it for £1000. I know nobody will buy it, but it doesn't stop me wanting it. I WANT to win the lottery, but I know it isn't going to happen. In the same case, Peter Simon WANTS them to go at the stort price, but he knows, it wont sell at that price. It's cleaver, as people will think that's the price they generally go for. Any business will try and get as much as possible.

I.E. when they started those washballs, they sold for £35. Bid probably paid less than £10 per pack at the time. They were flying out at £35, so there would be no need to sell them for £15. The same goes for the TV dongle. They still make a profit selling them at £20, so when they were flying out at £60, they sold them for £60. No business would lower a price if an item is in demand.

They do sell some items near (or below) cost if it isn't overly popular, but when items are popular, they will put a mark up on them. IF they didn't I doubt they would still be around. There are a few products which will make more money than in a whole hours listings. Thats why some items are on more than others.

I don't always defend them, but I was just saying that Peter isn't doing anything wrong by saying he WANTS them to go at the start price.

Him saying "We wanted £xx.xx for these" and "These should go for £xx.xx." are 2 different sayings.

Last edited:
Last night when Peter Simon was on I played back Benny's video review he did of a coat with Peter Simon as a voice over. It was uncanny :cool::nod:

it is illegal in the UK and that is why is so unbelievale that they get away with it.

Last night when Peter Simon was on I played back Benny's video review he did of a coat with Peter Simon as a voice over. It was uncanny :cool::nod:

KEEP QUIET!! If you say that too loudly, they might decide to make a tacky figurine of me! :p lmao

I dunno how Simon et al sleep at night. If I accidentally upset someone I worry all night but to deliberately do it well I hope I never would but I couldn't live with what they do.

I would love an insider to record the talkback from the gallery each night you can almost imagine them laughing at us telling Simon the lines he says.

The one that made me laugh was the Elvis charm bracelet. He kept on saying the names of the songs he sung, as if that would make us wanna get it. Pah.

PJ.

To be fair, I bet the producers are the ones who egg them on to say half the things! lol

I remember somebody saying that they heard King Ryes (when their breaks were on, but microphone was left on) him saying "How much did we make on that? Who would pay twenty quid for that? It's gold plated for god sake, no even worth the P&P"

I have heard with some presenters (as they have their talk back on so loud you can faintly hear what the director/ producer is saying) and I heard "Ask me if it's below cost." and the presenter says out loud "I think it's a silly question, but is this below cost?" and then producter "YES!!" Quite loud Presenter: "Oh, apparently we are way below cost." Then Cackles from the producer! lol

To be fair, I bet the producers are the ones who egg them on to say half the things! lol

I remember somebody saying that they heard King Ryes (when their breaks were on, but microphone was left on) him saying "How much did we make on that? Who would pay twenty quid for that? It's gold plated for god sake, no even worth the P&P"

I have heard with some presenters (as they have their talk back on so loud you can faintly hear what the director/ producer is saying) and I heard "Ask me if it's below cost." and the presenter says out loud "I think it's a silly question, but is this below cost?" and then producter "YES!!" Quite loud Presenter: "Oh, apparently we are way below cost." Then Cackles from the producer! lol

Of course it is: whatever the presenters do/don't do on screen is carefully worked out with the gallery first. Allowing for the presenters' personal styles, of course.

But you're missing my point: if Bid.tv's business plan is to buy goods cheap and in bulk to sell on cheap (with a minor mark up plus that horrendous call charge and P&P on top), this means that it ALWAYS wants to sell as low as possible to maintain public interest.

That means that it would NEVER WANT TO SELL AT RRP. So what Mr Simon says (HA!) is a pack of lies. And you can't do that when selling goods to people.

I know you're young Bennyxylophone, but one day when you're older you'll learn that sometimes wrong is simply wrong and that some things are indefensible. And then you'll look back at your defending Bid to the hilt against criticism of malpractice and you'll cringe.

Of course it is: whatever the presenters do/don't do on screen is carefully worked out with the gallery first. Allowing for the presenters' personal styles, of course.

But you're missing my point: if Bid.tv's business plan is to buy goods cheap and in bulk to sell on cheap (with a minor mark up plus that horrendous call charge and P&P on top), this means that it ALWAYS wants to sell as low as possible to maintain public interest.

That means that it would NEVER WANT TO SELL AT RRP. So what Mr Simon says (HA!) is a pack of lies. And you can't do that when selling goods to people.

I know you're young Bennyxylophone, but one day when you're older you'll learn that sometimes wrong is simply wrong and that some things are indefensible. And then you'll look back at your defending Bid to the hilt against criticism of malpractice and you'll cringe.

I personally DO agree with you. Yes, it is wrong how they are trying to decieve the customer, but I'm just saying what bid would tell the ASA if they were to get involved.

By the way, I love the names you're giving me...Very inventive! ;) I don't defend bid on everything, as you'll know I was the one who reported them to the ASA. And believe me, that isn't the only time by far. Many get rejected, or are just made not official. I may defend them too much, but thats probably because I like to find good things out of everything. - That doesn't necessarily mean I'm naive, as I'm far from it.

Also, you may (or might not) remember the tread I started a few months back about commenting on all the comments peter said in a 10 minute period, so I do know that 99.9% of the stuff he says is rubbish. And how can a tanzanite be delicious?! :p

It seems Peter Simon is telling the truth when he says they want the start price and on this occassion they very nearly did do but for 3p i'm sure he can sleep tonight knowing he hasent cost the company a fortune, on this item anyway, Having only tunned in for the last couple of minutes does anyone know how much we should have been paying? I can't see him saying we wanted £330 for this when it sold for £329.97, http://www.bid.tv/PreviousAuctionProductPage.aspx?Cat=7&SubCat=26&Offer=4840868 He also said how rare this item was and that they could not get it again on this channel, on bid for 19th December at 22:25 they have another 94 of them http://www.bid.tv/ProductDescriptionPage.aspx?Id=4841260&Cat=7&Sub=26&Type=Categories

I personally DO agree with you. Yes, it is wrong how they are trying to decieve the customer, but I'm just saying what bid would tell the ASA if they were to get involved.

By the way, I love the names you're giving me...Very inventive! ;) I don't defend bid on everything, as you'll know I was the one who reported them to the ASA. And believe me, that isn't the only time by far. Many get rejected, or are just made not official. I may defend them too much, but thats probably because I like to find good things out of everything. - That doesn't necessarily mean I'm naive, as I'm far from it.

Also, you may (or might not) remember the tread I started a few months back about commenting on all the comments peter said in a 10 minute period, so I do know that 99.9% of the stuff he says is rubbish. And how can a tanzanite be delicious?! :p

Wanting to see good in people is a positive characteristic, but when the evidence piles up against someone and you still maintain they're OK, that DOES make you look naive.

I didn't know you'd reported Bid to the ASA - good for you. But since they don't seem to have taken any notice, what does that tell you about the company?

No decent organisation would allow themselves to be associated with people who can't even lie consistently. Yet Bid does, so why should I respect them?

As for my "inventiveness" - thanks! I keep wanting to call you "Bennyxyz"; for some reason I keep blanking on your real username. :wink:

To be honest, I can't argue against anything you've said. I think what it is, bid/ pricedrop/ speed auction used to be really good channels, and in the past few months, I feel they have gone downhill, but for some reason I want it to go back to ow they were, and stay good.

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/12/sit_up-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_171720.aspx

It's strange how the ASA think this is a breech, while other things (which I think are much worse) aren't according to them! :L

I agree they used to be good and entertaining to watch, No hard sell and not many lies, It now seems that last nights avalanche was not the last they have a surprise 1 on today now, As tonight is finale 2 I'm going to do the same as last night, I've got nothing else to do tonight

Last edited:
The Vault finale II avalanche special

1) £200 - Thomas Earnshaw 1805 reserve automatic precision watch sold for £65.03, Peter " We have sold these for £130 easy, You would pay £50 for the leather strap, were not bothered about the money tonight, id imagine any man watching and seeing its an Earnshaw watch will be buying it"

2) £65 - Precision solar powered movement watch featuring radio controlled world timekeeping sold for £28.18, Peter "a leather strap costs £40 so well done, I think we wanted about £120 for this" funny when the start price was only £65

3) £90 - Genuine 18ct gold finish necklace, bracelet & earring set sold for £27.19 Marina " I don't know anywhere else you could get a deal like that"

4) £39 - Carmelian morning star illuminating angel, handmade & hand painted finish with platinum sold for £22.70, Peter "angel of dreams and hopes, Not only for your hopes and fears of 2012, not only is this a status symbol for love, it represents power and guidance, Its good for a nursery to watch over and have peace of mind, The beautiful colour comes from within, Marina " its a very pure figure"

5) £150 - Grand Prix precision engineered men's watch sold for £21.99, Peter "We paid a lot more than £22 for it", Marina " We often lose money on these avalanches"

6) £45 - Limted edition Giorgio Armani "kanji" design watch sold for £19.60, Peter " You would pay more for 2 pairs of socks, This is the last time you will see it, this is the last of the stock, Don't think you can get an Armani vest for this price" Peter tells us that he is shocked at the price of alcohol this year and says he paid £35 for some wine for someone who is leaving the channels this year " Marina " you would pay more on the highstreet for a watch with no name attached to it"

7) £60 - 1.30ct ruby solitaire solid sterling silver pendant sold for £13.48, Peter "if you think what you would pay for a silver chain, think what you would pay for a designer candle or air spray, The magestic beauty of rubbies, At this time of year its the warmest gemstone"

8) £70 - Sterling silver 1.38ct Ruby trillogy ring sold for £12.52, Peter " The silver alone has to cost more surley, if you were giving this as a present you would keep it for yourself"

9) £60 - Made with Swarovski elements genuine 18ct gold finish galactic-cut crystal T-bar bracelet sold for £8.55 Peter " Not only is it with 18ct gold..................er finish, it will illuminate your evening wear, it will lift it up and give what your wearing some style and sophistication"

10) £? - Timepiece gents silver coloured texture dial black leather watch sold for £8.54

11) £35 - Speccio collection aurora borealis crystal pendant sold for £8.23

12) £35 - Sweetie link bracelet sold for £4.20, Peter " These are a fortune, To own something like that, its just lovely, When I look on the highstreet I see just what good prices we do", Marina " If you bought a designer 1 which is very similar to this you would pay £120, I spent £5 the other day on 2 reems of wrapping paper, You would pay a fiver for a box like this" is it just me or does it look like it cost 10p to make?
http://www.bid.tv/PreviousAuctionProductPage.aspx?Cat=7&SubCat=28&Offer=4839694

It seemed a lot more relaxed today during the final hour, no hard sell which was nice and also I like that they can't do clocks during these avalanches

How much are we betting there will be another avalanche tomorrow between 6:30 and 10pm?

Last edited:
To be honest, I can't argue against anything you've said. I think what it is, bid/ pricedrop/ speed auction used to be really good channels, and in the past few months, I feel they have gone downhill, but for some reason I want it to go back to ow they were, and stay good.

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/12/sit_up-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_171720.aspx

It's strange how the ASA think this is a breech, while other things (which I think are much worse) aren't according to them! :L

Awwww. I'm sorry Benny XXXratedpeepshow.

It's galling when something you've loved goes sour. But better to face up to it than to pretend nothing is going wrong.

Maybe that way Bid will learn from their mistakes and get better

Latest posts

Back