Bid Shopping - are they as bad as Auction World

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Are Bid Shopping as bad as Auction World got?

• Yes they are as bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but they are getting that way

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No they are not as bad

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Over inflated start prices And used to try and push their made up named watches onto retail shops in order to say others sold it for the high price (crazily high and it was post collapse that situp decided against using them) they would sell diamonds that were not much better than glass. They sold things like film cells of blockbusters and say they got 1 from the supplier they would sell two then desperately tried to get the other the next day. Terrible delivery times and customer service and left people short of orders. More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_World.tv

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to say that I put "No but they are getting that way" I only saw the end of Auction World, but I did hear about them on watchdog + close to a £500,000 fine!

Over inflated start prices And used to try and push their made up named watches onto retail shops in order to say others sold it for the high price (crazily high and it was post collapse that situp decided against using them) they would sell diamonds that were not much better than glass. They sold things like film cells of blockbusters and say they got 1 from the supplier they would sell two then desperately tried to get the other the next day. Terrible delivery times and customer service and left people short of orders. More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_World.tv

PJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing with Bid.tv is that they went from a fun auction type setup to something which just looks fake.
In a way they're trying to be too clever for their own good. Take the current show at the moment with James Russell, again, going on about ****** Tanzanite - give it up man! Nobody cares - just sell the goods already or something Christmassy! Imagine the kids opening their Tanzanite presents this year :angry:

I don't think they are as bad as Auction World reading from the wiki entry - but there are similarities when it comes to how auctions are presented/start prices etc which can be dubious. Mainly when they come to quote external website RRP. You only have to Google yourself and find someone else is even lower than the one quoted by Bid and even Bid's ending price in the majority of cases.

I reckon in the next 5 years Bid are really going to struggle with their customer base probably shopping around more for a better deal - they'll need to adapt but they are going to fail if they carry on as they are. I don't think they'll fall foul of Ofcom but they are skating on thin ice with ASA at the moment.

Last edited:
I agree. There is nothing fun about these channels anymore. It's hard sell sell sell.

To be fair to the S*it up channels, I think they are a long way off of what Auction World were doing. But that could change if suddenly they had cash-flow problems and they started struggling like Auction World. Their profits have been taking a dive since 2008. I do think they need to revamp their channels. Perhaps have one channel as a dedicated cut-price jewellery one.

They never used to be as bad as AW, they were once respectible. Now they suck.

I used to watch an auction channel years ago where craig rowe was one of the presenters (as well as a few presenters that are now on bid tv) and they used to sell chloe/prada/fendi handbags (I bought at least 5)...was that Auction World?

It seems to me they sell one of two things. Cheap things which they still make a good profit on in big quantities or good stuff from good makes for £10 like camcorders but the catch is they have 10 in the auction and I am willing to bet they get thousands miss out all paying £1.53 for the call which Bid get half of. They claim 10 people miss put which is true but I bet there is loads more but if they say hundreds missed out they would put people off calling.

PJ.

Latest posts

Back