Some thoughts from an EX ideal world junkie :)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheesecake

Registered Shopper
Hi there,

I no longer watch IW for the many many hours a day I used to due to a lifestyle change. It was, I am ashamed to say, almost an addiction which I didn't realise til I stopped being easily able to watch and was always itching for the control of the telly :( Anyway, I still come here as Selly Telly has been part of my TV habits since IW started and beyond. I thought some of you might appreciate the opinion of someone who has gotten 'over' selly telly hehe :)

One thing I find now, is how unbearable it all is, even the pretty gems on gemstv and rocks and co. I actually can't believe I used to sit for 8+ hours at a time watching this utter rubbish. I was prompted to write this as a salesman in a shop today was way out of order with his techniques and suddenly for some reason I remembered Ideal and QVC and the like......

Well for a start off, Ideal World for one, can't keep a straight story it seems, I have heard about the memory foam toppers in my time that it's 2cms recommended, then it's 3cm and even 4cms, I mean which is it? I won't even go on with that line of thought, but how many 'silly string' hair products are "the absolute best" of their kind? How many different brands of cover up or makeup do the female presenters actually use? I mean if you listen to some of the QVC girls, Jees they must be in the bathroom for 23 hours a day getting ready to leave the house :) Then there's the brands that the channels rip off or simply get a 'better' version and then spend the next 10 months slating the one that we were previously supposed to faun over.... Juicers that are 'so good for you', then juicers which are 'no good, you need a vitamix'.
Bamixes which can 'do jobs no other can', then weeks later a product that can 'do everything those expensive ones can'. I could go on, but being Ideal viewers you all know exactly the schpeels I mean.
The beauty bras make me laugh especially, with Loen saying one week, heard with my own ears that she wouldnt say they were supportive enough for an E or F cup, then Ellis next day saying they would be fine up to an H cup lol.

Anyway, my tea is almost done and I could go on and on.

I am really grateful to my lifestyle change that I now watch everything BAR shoppingtelly, I've watched and watched and listened and moaned, I've watched people on here saying they will never order again, then ordering and getting snarled in the crap customer 'services'. I will now, not go back to that salesman who annoyed me with his tactics today, someone else will get my custom, I think maybe some of the posters who get shat on time and time again by shopping channels should vote with their feet.

Sorry, felt like ranting :)

Hey Cheesecake :)

I agree with them unable to get their stories straight.

The other morning - the very pushy Joanne (who always insists that the pick of the day will sell out before lunchtime at 8am in the morning) was doing the beauty bra show. Now normally, they say if you are unsure about your size to go up a size. She was saying the opposite - to go down! I've tried a 'La Dea' Cami before, and the owner was a size 18 - I am size 12, and I was struggling to get it on! Now, if those bras' are anything as tight as those camisoles, heaven help the ladies trying to get into their smaller size.

I also agree about them being able to quickly move onto another product, and say how super that is - forgetting what they have said about others. Take the Wertheim Vacuum - two hours before, Ellis Ward and Simon Iles were flogging the Bissell pet hair vacuum saying it was the best thing since sliced bread. Ellis' levels of 'up speaking' were reaching new levels as she scrambled for superlatives about the Bissell. Then they did the Wertheim, and yep, you guessed it, this was the hoover to have! It's funny in a way, because they do have a job to do, but I can imagine being frustrated if you are a person that has invested in one product, only to be told 2 hours later that another is better. :cheeky:

Shopping Telly is very blinkered, mainly because it assumes the viewer is a "dip-in dip-out" customer - you're not supposed to watch it like a series of 'Lost' an analyse every nuance. A lot of the visitors to this site probably watch far too much for their own good but do have the brains to work out how shallow the presentations are. Once you wake up and realise that, you shouldn't get caught.

Unfortunately, selly telly needs to shout to be heard and why they'll continue to contradict themselves at the drop of a hat.

Shopping Telly is very blinkered, mainly because it assumes the viewer is a "dip-in dip-out" customer - you're not supposed to watch it like a series of 'Lost' an analyse every nuance. A lot of the visitors to this site probably watch far too much for their own good but do have the brains to work out how shallow the presentations are. Once you wake up and realise that, you shouldn't get caught.

Unfortunately, selly telly needs to shout to be heard and why they'll continue to contradict themselves at the drop of a hat.

I most certainly watch far too much shopping telly, and thankfully have enough brains to realise that most of what comes out of the presenter's mouths is a load of crap, and buy with caution...though I have been burned a few times. Thankfully though I have mainly managed to get refunds which include the p&p because I've insisted something was badly made, not fit for purpose or whatever.

The presenters are given a product to present, it's their job. It wouldn't do them a lot of good if they said, "No, I'm not presenting that food processor, 'cause I only told the viewers last week that X brand was the best!" I agree with the points made about the skincare and I have heard the same presenter swear by differening brands..though I suppose they could use different products from different ranges, but somehow I doubt it. They got a hard job having to wax lyrical about every day products, and to me some of these contradictions, faux pas, utter rubbish they come out make shopping telly all the more entertaining, otherwise I wouldn't watch it. As the above poster said if you're careful, you'll be alright!

If you ever venture over to the QVC forum, you may be interested in my attempts to give up QVC ("My name's Alan and I'm a recvovering QVC-holic").

Latest posts

Back