Situp Ripping Off Marie Curie charity - 50p donation from a £17.99 item fair or foul?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Is the Sit-up Network exploiting the Marie Curie Charity?

• YES!

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Greg

Registered Shopper
‎"Emblem of Life Watch" on Price Drop just now is being sold at £17.99 but only 50p per watch is being donated to the Marie Curie Charity.

Considering that £7.99 is the p&p charge and the caller has to spend £1.53 premium rate phone call, is this not a clear case of Sit-Up exploiting a charity to line their own pockets?

Producers are being extra sneaky by only mentioning that a donation per watch is being made to the charity not the actual 50p amount. I think a lot of people who are buying this watch in good faith would be shocked and appalled by the miserly donation being made.

It's this sort of thing that makes my skin crawl about the Sit-up network. What do you think?

It's nice that they are supporting a cancer charity but they need to inform buyers that only 50p is going to the charity as my mother assumed all the money was!

Steve McDonald has just said that they bought 1000 of the "Emblem of Life" watches and already given the donation to Marie Curie based on 50p per watch (He didn't say 50p, but it's on the Bid website), so the charity will have received £500 from the Sit-Up channel. Is this fair, considering that Bid TV turnover for this item is in the region of £26k for themselves? I don't. It's exploitation of the Charity and what they stand for. :headbang:

Steve McDonald has just said that they bought 1000 of the "Emblem of Life" watches and already given the donation to Marie Curie based on 50p per watch (He didn't say 50p, but it's on the Bid website), so the charity will have received £500 from the Sit-Up channel. Is this fair, considering that Bid TV turnover for this item is in the region of £26k for themselves? I don't. It's exploitation of the Charity and what they stand for. :headbang:
Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

as sadly one of a LOT of people who have been touched by cancer in their lives be it friends or family i am disgusted at this pathetic donation they're a pretty big company so could afford to give a lot more i know i'd go out of business but if it was me i'd donate the entire cost all charities are worthy but having first hand experience of the marvellous work the marie curie nurses do they deserve EVERY PENNY sorry not much gets me riled but things like this do it's pure greed on sit ups part they think they're being charitable but to line your own pockets to such an extent makes my blood boil!

Well 50p in the tin is better than nothing and every little helps and all that, but what makes me cross is the way they are trying to give the impression that it ALL goes to charity. This is lower than a snakes belly, even for situps.

Well 50p in the tin is better than nothing and every little helps and all that, but what makes me cross is the way they are trying to give the impression that it ALL goes to charity. This is lower than a snakes belly, even for situps.

As I said on their facebook page. It would be fine to give them 50p if they had it written on the screen, and said by the presenter a couple of times. If they thought 50p was a good donation they would be more than happy to do it, but as they know they are only doing it for their own good, they don't as they will lose sales. I think it's the lowest you can get is making money out of a worthy charity. In my view, it's like stealing from the charity.

As I said on their facebook page. It would be fine to give them 50p if they had it written on the screen, and said by the presenter a couple of times. If they thought 50p was a good donation they would be more than happy to do it, but as they know they are only doing it for their own good, they don't as they will lose sales. I think it's the lowest you can get is making money out of a worthy charity. In my view, it's like stealing from the charity.

Totally agree with you, Benny. I was incensed by the way Steve McDonald was shamelessly pull the heartstrings of people. Do the staff at Sit-up have no conscience? No heart? No morals?

They now have a tea set for one, probably aimed at Mothers Day punters

They are donating 20p to Marie Curie
Yes, make your mum feel really lonely on Mother's Day by buying her this :wink:

(We don't really bother with Mother's Day in our family anyway; technically speaking, Mother's Day is everyday.)

I'm not however going to complain about the 20p donation as long as they're upfront about the amount given and not claiming 'profits' or 'all money' as a donation like they could have done.

A ten minute moving and tear-jerking spiel about the work of the Marie Curie Cancer Charity and I bet they won't mention that a tiny 20p proportion of each sale is going to the charity, even once.

It's a f*cking disgrace! This is nasty cynical corporate exploitation of a cancer charity and people with cancer to line their own pockets.

I hope the Sit-Up executives, staff and presenters who are doing this are ****** pleased with themselves.

Such greedy bastards taking the piss like that!

:mysmilie_365:

A ten minute moving and tear-jerking spiel about the work of the Marie Curie Cancer Charity and I bet they won't mention that a tiny 20p proportion of each sale is going to the charity, even once.

It's a f*cking disgrace! This is nasty cynical corporate exploitation of a cancer charity and people with cancer to line their own pockets.

I hope the Sit-Up executives, staff and presenters who are doing this are ****** pleased with themselves.

Such greedy bastards taking the piss like that!

:mysmilie_365:

I hope none of their families ever have to go through the horrible situation where a family member is diagnosed with cancer.

But it's all about money.. very sad.

Latest posts

Back