OMG!!!!!!! I Don't believe what James Garner just said!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

steveh31

Registered Shopper
James Gardner to his credit was quite rightly saying that the Eddie Stobart DVD's series 1 & 2 he was selling for £5.99 plus p&P were still cheaper than Amazon at £24.38 but he then uttered this amazing comment:

"Do you have to pay p&p on Amazon? you probably have to pay double" (not true actually was a free super delivery) "I hate it when you have to pay p&p for each item it's shocking really"!!!!

Yes read that again

"I hate it when you have to pay p&p for each item it's shocking really"!!!!

and he didn't smile or piss himself when he made that unbelievable statement

Why won't the presenters tell the truth? Why the white lies, fibs and downright calculated deliberate falsehoods??? :taphead:

Part of me thinks that these lies are just something to laugh at when there's nothing else to watch on television, but realistically speaking this state of affairs cannot be allowed to continue. Therefore something really needs to be done about this. Seriously.

We do know that people from these channels read this forum, so perhaps there ought to be a coordinated effort via the forum to force the Bid Shopping channels to clean up their act. We also know that presenters are at least being encouraged (or, worse still, explicitly told) to say things that are downright lies because they keep doing it again and again, so if there's a threat of direct action via the Advertising Standards Authority against such deceptions then this might force them to stop being so blatantly deceitful. This is now getting way beyond a harmless joke.

I fully realise that jobs are at stake (including wholly innocent parties) if the Bid channels are fined or sanctioned for deceptive practices, but what's the realistic alternative at this point? Just keep quiet and hope that the Bid channels drown themselves in a sea of market stall rubbish, which would end up jeopardising jobs anyway?

If you hear or see an obvious deception taking place on one of the Bid channels, make a note of the channel's name, date, time and nature of the deception, or better still try to record the channel's output (if you can) when a particularly notorious presenter is heading for dangerous territory. You can report an obvious and blatant lie as a personal complaint directly to the ASA using this online form:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints/How-to-complain/Online-Form/Step1.aspx

I'm not sure there is any point because the ASA and OFCOM will just give them a slap finger and Sit-up will do something else.

The fact the presenters seem to be told to say anything actually makes me a bit suspicious that the channel might be in financial troubles and are making a bit of last desperate attempt to offload their crap by any means before they go under? Whatever is happening Bid network can't keep going on like this because in the long term it will damage their brand when enough attention is being made by the general public and press to what they are doing.

Didn't Gerald Ratner cause all the lies because when he was honest and said We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap."

The business folded so companies have to lie really.

If Gerald's comments had been taken as honest and refreshing instead of we not going to shop in your store anymore companies like Bid maybe able to be honest but history shows they have to lie.

Last edited:
It's one thing to try and get people to buy stuff that they don't want or need (after all, that's the basis of capitalism), but it's another to tell completely blatant lies.

As Price Plunge says, on one level it's amusing. But on another it's fraud - people are getting ripped off.

On reflection you probably couldn't complain about the James Gardner comment because they could say that it was just a personal opinion about postage and packing. Having said that, next time I hear or see a blatant lie on the Bid channels I'll have a go with using the ASA complaint form as long as it's possible to make a substantiated complaint (easier said than done, I know). It may not ultimately achieve anything but might just prod someone at the channels to be a little more honest about the products they sell.

This isn't directed towards descriptions of "gold" when they mean "gold finish" (there's room for doubt) but on the rarer occasions when there's blatant misdirection being used.
Of course if they were 100% honest about everything they sell, their sales figures would be zero
mysmilie_483.gif

Last edited:
steve mcdonald is always banging on about how they're not allowed to lie it's against the law well tell that to your workmates then! i agree if they are so blatantly lying something needs to be done if in extremes the channels were forced to close maybe they would learn their lesson though i doubt it they'd prob do a rupert murdoch and just start another channel

sit-up ain't going to go under anytime soon, probably not for a few years I reckon looking at their financial state - still waiting on the figures to come through for the year 2011. - http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03877786

The lies will continue as will the tat they sell. :down:
If people are stupid and gullible enough to buy tat at premium prices they will also be the last people to reign back their spending with the impending threat of a recession. The economy may start to collapse all around them but that won't stop mentally challenged idiots buying garden gnomes for £1 + £7.99 p&p + £1.53 phone call until their personal financial situation deteriorates to a point where it REALLY hurts them. And some people would have to be living on the streets to avoid the charms of Andy Hodgson selling them a fire blanket which is both unsuitable and inadvisable for them to use in 95% of emergency situations.

they're no better than the rogue traders you see on tv come knocking on your door and wheedles your savings out of you they rely on the "vulnerable" viewers hate saying that but it's true they lure you in pretending to be your friend bamboozle you with their twaddle then brainwash you into buying they should be investigated by matt allwright.

they're no better than the rogue traders you see on tv come knocking on your door and wheedles your savings out of you they rely on the "vulnerable" viewers hate saying that but it's true they lure you in pretending to be your friend bamboozle you with their twaddle then brainwash you into buying they should be investigated by matt allwright.

You've just described every shopping channel going :nod:

Latest posts

Back