£1 Superdeal Fiasco Update

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cleopatra

Registered Shopper
£1 Superdeal Fiasco Update

Hi everyone

I e-mailed and spoke to Customer service re my complaint

I received a letter from Vanessa Gillgrass, Operations Director with an aplogy and inviting me to contact the personal shopper to see if they could get me the items or find a SUITABLE ALTERNATIVE.

I phoned was put through to a manager who wanted to substitute my £1 items for similar items at the personal shopper price!!!!!!! They refused to honour the £1. I was advised they were -4 stock on the earings and -8 stock on the tanzanite ring.

I advised this was not suitable and asked for a further letter from the ops director. My items have now been removed from my order.

They advised there were only 2 in the tanzanite game so how did I snatch them, web buyers not allowed to snatch when less than 2 items.

Cleopatra

Last edited:
That is just not on hun , you must feel very disappointed in the whole sorry affair.

Yes I am, In fairness the cutomer service manager was very nice and apologetic and said he will see what he can do but I am still waiting for a callback re the viewing of the tapes of the game regarding the number of items in them. To my recollection there was no quantity. I have been promised twice and I am still waiting.

Cleopatra

£1 Superdeal Fiasco Update-Me 2

Hi Cleopatra

Very interested to hear what you sd about Gems' £1 drop scam. I personally tried to get through website £1 items 10 times that weekend both sat & sun. I refused to call the no. on principle.

Got not one £1 item.

When I called cs & complained they claimed that many £1 items were accessible to web buyers.

I demanded just one £1 item as compensation for all the frustration & stress endured as result of Gems so called £1 promotion.

Cs flatly refused to offer anything although as I pointed out I was a loyal & frequent customer in the past.

I can't believe Gems has stooped to such new lows in undertaking such a scam on it's customers.

Unless Gems publishes an apology and suitable £1 item as compensation to customers who complained, I for one will not be buying from them again.

I am asking all my friends & acquaintances to do the same.

What do you think, fellow shopping telly forumers?

Lin:63:

Just thought I should point out that retailers do not have to honour their prices.
They offer you the goods at a price, and they can withdraw that at any time.
I found a DVD boxset on Play at a ridiculously low price, told all my friends, we all ordered.
I got an email from Play about a month later saying sorry but they were withdrawing the offer and putting it up to a higher price.

I checked with my Mother (who is a Barrister and teaches Law at the moment) and she said they could do it. That it's perfectly legal. It's horrid when they do do it, and lots of companies will actually apologise and let you have the goods for the first price, but they don't have to do it.

Hi

Lin - Yes some were available to web buyers but 2 items I got in my basket and checked out have been removed, reasons given were lack of stock and system allocation problems along with the volume of demand. They seemed very suprised that lots of people wanted to buy for a £1?????? I complained via Email for the attention of a senior manager.

Harley - I can't comment if you are correct or not however the rules regarding advertised television promotions are clear, ASA 30.4 and 42.5. If Gems TV want to avoid losing customers they need to act responsibly and in line with there own terms and conditions which clearly state several times they will not sell more items than they have in stock.

missM - I will complain to ASA and trading standards if Gems do not provide a suitable alternative (suitable to me not them, why they would ever think I would be happy to purchase a full price item in place of a promotional £1 items beggars belief).

Thanks to everyone for their support, I hope gems can reach an amicable resolution with me.

Cleopatra

£1 Superdeal Fiasco Update-Me 2

Cleo

Stick to yr guns & keep pressing yr issues with them. It's disgraceful that they took items out of yr basket, esp. since I was always told by CS that they can't touch or even see anything in my basket!!!

I will be writing Gems & complaining about this scam.

Harley-Re yr message, Gems may legally get away with not honoring it's advertised £1 price but the bad vibes from their scam is going to reverberate for a long time.

Especially if we customers band together & shout about it!!!

Cleopatra you must be totally frustrated to say the least!! :Angry2:

This stinks to me - a total con if ever I've seen one! Fair enough if it was just a case of not being able to get an item in time - frustrating but tough luck - but when you actually had it in your basket, like Mummybear, and for them to remove it, that's a total disgrace.

Lindenning - sorry but I disagree with you. There were probably thousands of people who tried to snatch a £1 item many times during the day and didn't manage to get one - sorry but that's the way it goes. Your case is totally different from Cleopatra and Mummybear who both actually had the items in their baskets having successfully snatched them only to have them removed by Gems who had majorly cocked up!! I personally don't think you should receive any compensation for your "frustration and stress" as it was you who chose to continue to go for all the £1 items in the hope you would be successful - as I'm sure many many others did too.

ALL,
worth bearing in mind that gems changing to clock and timed games was to pro-actively counter ASA rulings (they said), in the proposals that the ASA have published on their website (worth looking at) it says that

'advertisements must state any reasonable grounds the advertisers might have for believing that they might not be able to supply the advertised or an equivalent product at the advertised price, for a reasonable period and in reasonable quantities.'

worth bearing in mind that no matter how hacked off we've been with megadrops on bid tv, at least we know how many there have been

http://www.cap.org.uk/cap/Consultations/closed/BCAP+CPRs+consultation/BCAP+CPRs+Consultation.htm

read attachment b

Hi Cleopatra

Very interested to hear what you sd about Gems' £1 drop scam. I personally tried to get through website £1 items 10 times that weekend both sat & sun. I refused to call the no. on principle.

Got not one £1 item.

When I called cs & complained they claimed that many £1 items were accessible to web buyers.

I demanded just one £1 item as compensation for all the frustration & stress endured as result of Gems so called £1 promotion.

Cs flatly refused to offer anything although as I pointed out I was a loyal & frequent customer in the past.

I can't believe Gems has stooped to such new lows in undertaking such a scam on it's customers.

Unless Gems publishes an apology and suitable £1 item as compensation to customers who complained, I for one will not be buying from them again.

I am asking all my friends & acquaintances to do the same.

What do you think, fellow shopping telly forumers?

Lin:63:

I am sorry but i don't aree with your post, i see no reason what-so-ever why customer services would or should give you an item for £1 just because you wanted one. loads of people will have tried to get the £1 items, and will have missed out, thats the nature of those sort of games. I seriously don't see at all what you actually have to complain about. what your saying is like entering a competition, not winning, then complaining and saying you want a prize anyway just because you felt stressed at not winning! It just doesn't work like that.
I got a few £1 items that weekend, so it was not a scam at all, and 2 of those i got on the web.
The people who i believe truly do have something to complain about are mummybear and cleopatra as they did win the £1 items, and had them removed from their baskets, they should get replacement £1 items, not the people who could manage to win one but wanted to.
I really hope that gemstv compensate mummybear and cleopatra, as their treatment is unbelievably bad.

I am sorry but i don't aree with your post, i see no reason what-so-ever why customer services would or should give you an item for £1 just because you wanted one. loads of people will have tried to get the £1 items, and will have missed out, thats the nature of those sort of games. I seriously don't see at all what you actually have to complain about. what your saying is like entering a competition, not winning, then complaining and saying you want a prize anyway just because you felt stressed at not winning! It just doesn't work like that.
I got a few £1 items that weekend, so it was not a scam at all, and 2 of those i got on the web.
The people who i believe truly do have something to complain about are mummybear and cleopatra as they did win the £1 items, and had them removed from their baskets, they should get replacement £1 items, not the people who could manage to win one but wanted to.
I really hope that gemstv compensate mummybear and cleopatra, as their treatment is unbelievably bad.

:Applause: Here here - that is what I was saying in my post.

:58:HI GUYS,
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BUT I THOUGHT MINE WAS A ONE OFF TILL I READ THESE MESSAGES!!
CALLED TO COMPLAIN AND SPOKE TO A LAD WHO PUT ME THROUGH TO A MANAGER CALLED TOM WHO WAS QUITE SHORT WITH ME! I WAS QUITE SURPRISED HOW HE SPOKE TO ME AS DID NOT UNDERSTAND FROM MY POINT OF VIEW JUST KEPT HARPING ON ABOUT GEMS POLICY. NEVA HAD PROB WITH THEIR MANAGERS BEFORE - FIRST TIME I SPOKE TO HIM- DONT THINK I WILL BOTHER AGAIN.
WOMAN I SPOKE TO LAST WEEK TOLD ME THEY GOT RID OF ALOT OF PEOPLE OVER THERE RECENTLY. WONDER IF CREDIT CRUNCH OR ROCKS & CO!!!!!!!!
IF THEY WANT TO KEEP CUSTOMERS THEY NEED TO PULL THEIR SOCKS UP & TRAIN STAFF ESPECIALLY TOM- MANAGER!!!!!!!!::mad:

Latest posts

Back