Clogau gold

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Next to bugger all but they still have some gorgeous pieces that I would buy if I had the spare cash. I love the silver and rose gold acorn pieces. And there's a beachcomber bracelet that's not on Q as far as I know that is just stunning.

I saw one show yesterday which had earrings over £2000, a pendant and a "Diana" look-a-like ring each costing over £4000.
The thing that surprised me was they were actually charging p&p on top ! Surely they could have just absorbed them in the price, it just seemed a bit odd.

Clogau is really top quality jewellery and the price reflects that. It's a world away from the usual cr*p they sell on QVC. I have a bangle watch which I got for our silver wedding anniversary, bought direct from Clogau. I've worn it every day for the last 9 years and I admire it every time I put it on.

There is a Clogau outlet for anyone interested:-

http://www.clogauoutlet.co.uk

Quote from CG website - - -

Unique jewellery with Welsh gold

Nestled deep within the mountains of Snowdonia is a treasure trove of the world's rarest and most sought-after gold - Welsh gold from the Clogau St. David's gold mine.

A touch of this Welsh gold, as used by Royalty for over 100 years, goes into every Clogau item.

From Wiki - - - - -

Since 1911 the mine has been re-opened several times for smaller-scale operations. It last closed in 1998. In 1999 the mine was taken over and held by a local exploration company.

In November 2010 the mine was acquired by a new exploration company, Midas Exploration, who hope to restore the mine to production.

So it is not even open to produce any gold!!!!

Last edited:
Yes it looks good quality and well made but the prices are ridiculous, especially for 9ct. Their hype about the 'rare Welsh gold' thing is harped on about far too much for my liking when we all suspect it's probably just a speck in the mix of alloys. I would love someone to legally challenge them about their misleading marketing of this range and Trading Standards to force them to actually state how much Welsh gold is in each piece and I think we would be horrified at just how little it actually is. I'm on a roll now :grin: ....that looky likey Royal ring :rolleyes: for almost £3k :eek: had the most awful dark sapphire and the diamonds certainly didn't look VS to me even under the studio bright lights. On a positive note, some of the Tree of Life pieces are very pretty but the prices are a complete rip off imho.

I totally agree with P.P. it is time they were challenged on their claims. I think the prices are way over the top.

I am always amazed at how many of the very expensive pieces sell out, QVC must have loads of very well off customers.

Some nice designs but the lure of rare Welsh gold nonsense is just there to inflate the price. They should be forced to state the percentage - probably something like 0.00000000000000001%.

Another premium brand that Q shares with, erm, the Argos catalogue.

Yes it looks good quality and well made but the prices are ridiculous, especially for 9ct. Their hype about the 'rare Welsh gold' thing is harped on about far too much for my liking when we all suspect it's probably just a speck in the mix of alloys. I would love someone to legally challenge them about their misleading marketing of this range and Trading Standards to force them to actually state how much Welsh gold is in each piece and I think we would be horrified at just how little it actually is. I'm on a roll now :grin: ....that looky likey Royal ring :rolleyes: for almost £3k :eek: had the most awful dark sapphire and the diamonds certainly didn't look VS to me even under the studio bright lights. On a positive note, some of the Tree of Life pieces are very pretty but the prices are a complete rip off imho.

The mine closed so long ago there can't be too much gold left, hence severe rationing now? Also didn't someone say on here previously that Clogau is now manufactured in China?

That dark Kanchanburi Thai Sapphire was less than impressive, in fact pretty rubbish IMO. He / she was likening it to the royal engagement ring, but I always thought Princess Di's ring was a Ceylon Blue Sapphire, which is far superior.

I did see a lovely Tree of Life ring which was reduced in price, but give me the Black Hills of Dakota any day, I regret that QVC no longer stock this range. :sad:

Lots of jewellers on the dreaded high street stock it - I bought 2 pieces many years ago but still like to get the hopes of a salesperson up now and then by going in and trying some on (like to do this in furniture chains and big car dealers, too. Sad, but there you go). I always ask if there's be a discount and have never been offered less than 10%. I still like some of the mainly older designs but wouldn't buy now if the China rumours are true.

Latest posts

Back