three and a half months into my recovery from QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

silversequin

Registered Shopper
yup it is three and a half months since I bought anything from Q and I must say it is getting easier as time goes on. As 2012 began I resolved not to buy anything unless I really could not resist it and could actually afford it. By sticking to those two rules and adding in the p and p every time something caught my eye, I have managed to stick to my plan. Am so proud of myself.

I have had to cut down on my spending due to being in the second year of a pay freeze and like everyone still seeing the bills continue to rise so have been economising across the board. I have been really getting into cooking from scratch and growing plants from seed and have actually been enjoying this part of my economy drive.

As I can't survive without treats I have had to find ones that are more affordable than stuff from Q. So I download favourite tracks, shop at TK Max if I feel I need a new bag or some Birkenstocks. Toiletries are from Boots with the added plus of advantage points which I hoard til Christmas.

Oh I still watch Q and get tempted but then I look at the prices and also think about how much similar stuff I already own and I find the strenght to resist for another day

Well Done SS,thats really good

I've cut down massively what I buy now - like you say,its the high street most of the way for me now

Do you still watch QVC? When I first started to cut down I stopped watching,and I found that hard - I don't watch much TV and I realised I was using QVC as a way of winding down - now I can watch and not spend.....sometimes its hard!

I lasted till the end of March but then the dam burst. I've bought three items on the three easy pays Easter promotion and a 'one time only' Yankee Candle set. I'm determined this time to resist :doh:

If I really want something,I have a look online and do lots of research,so I don't "jump" into things.

Thats why I love to come here and see details of upcoming things,so I can really research and think about it.

Normally what I loved there and then at QVC,can be found elsewhere.Most of the time I think to myself oh I'll go and buy x,y and z when I next have a free afternoon off - but to be honest? I've normally forgotton about it the next day!

If I really want something,I have a look online and do lots of research,so I don't "jump" into things.

Same here.I don't panic buy any more by ''jumping to the phones '':grin:I go online & check up on stuff. Its amazing what I have saved. So many companies do free P&P unlike QVC who when they do offer it make out its like the holy grail.

I buy in phases ~ nothing for ages then a few things all at once. If something takes my fancy I've now learnt to check around and see if I can source it cheaper. Sometimes I can and even when I can't, by the time I've looked around I've often gone off the idea anyway!

I've only bought the Gtech sweeper this year, and here comes a confession - - - -

I bought two, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, how lazy is that? But I saved a few pence postage!

I have been tempted a few times, even by the TSV pillow as I haven't found anything comfortable for the last few years.

I do still watch if I have had a tough day at work as it is such a contrast with my job (mental health). Find it relaxing in a way as they waft on about the latest "must have" piece of nonsense in a world where everything is fabulous, iconic, dazzling, breathtaking, on trend, etc etc. And I do get tempted, I love shiny things, hence being called "silver sequin" sometimes I trawl last clicks and there are some bargains to be had but again I feel the p and p takes the p! I have often seen several items that suit my budget but I'm not going to shell out at least another £9 to get them home.

I agree Silversequin,qvc can be very relaxing at the end of a long stressful day,it can just be like window shopping....we don't actually have to buy anything.

ahhh pillows strato.....i think i must have bought every wonder pillow qvc have sold over the years and still haven't found one i like.

I am quite disenchanted with le Q at the moment & long may it last!! I ordered some earrings & a Mally product which at one time I would have kept but when I looked at the price they were just not worth it and with the P&P-- so back they went!They make so much about the 30MBG but the cost & EZP doesn't make any difference in the long run.I of course have the luxury of having time to go round the shops,( & access to most of the products on Q) those who don't have the time really pay for the convienience but then these are so many websites which offer bargains & free P&P. I do watch though which says a lot for the rest of the TV channels!!

I started the year with good intentions and no money. I lasted until March - the post Christmas bills were paid so I got stuck in and bought, Ultrasun face 30, 2 Annelie & Hope tops (lovely!), Joan Rivers sunglasses in clearance, 3 Nails Inc polishes (I NEEDED THEM) and Sunday's Kipling TSV. I am checking myself back into QVC rehab in the morning.

Oh god - I forgot a Kipling Gostanza cross body bag too - Aaargh!

Last edited:
I started the year with good intentions and no money. I lasted until March - the post Christmas bills were paid so I got stuck in and bought, Ultrasun face 30, 2 Annelie & Hope tops (lovely!), Joan Rivers sunglasses in clearance, 3 Nails Inc polishes (I NEEDED THEM) and Sunday's Kipling TSV. I am checking myself back into QVC rehab in the morning.

Oh god - I forgot a Kipling Gostanza cross body bag too - Aaargh!

repeat after me.."My name is Itchy and I'm a QVCaholic.."! Soddit Itchy, if you want to treat yourself, why not! I think we all fall off the wagon occasionally...I do ever so well and then all of a sudden go a bit mad and buy a few things (whether I need 'em or not!). I did resist the Kipling TSV but I bought one a couple of weeks ago..I bought two Meesh Hope tops (my first, very nice they are too), some Eternal st st earrings, the latter two from Clearance, which is where I usually buy from now, and a Peony product towards my sister's birthday - not from Clearance! Hey ho!

repeat after me.."My name is Itchy and I'm a QVCaholic.."! Soddit Itchy, if you want to treat yourself, why not! I think we all fall off the wagon occasionally...I do ever so well and then all of a sudden go a bit mad and buy a few things (whether I need 'em or not!). I did resist the Kipling TSV but I bought one a couple of weeks ago..I bought two Meesh Hope tops (my first, very nice they are too), some Eternal st st earrings, the latter two from Clearance, which is where I usually buy from now, and a Peony product towards my sister's birthday - not from Clearance! Hey ho!

I feel better now, not so guilty!! It feels good to treat yourself sometimes (if possible). I justify this last spurge by thinking of the money we have saved by giving up smoking. That cost an absolute fortune (2 of us puffing like chimneys). Also I am not spending a couple of euros a day on sweets/rubbish on my way to work as I am trying to lose weight. I spend that money on my 2 zumba classes a week. However, I will knock it on the head now for a while. Some of these purchases were on easy pay and I always get confused as to what i spent and what is owing, cos QVC don't itemise it on your account online.

I keep a spreadsheet with a note of easy pays so I know what I've got to pay and when. I didn't start it as a way of curbing my spending but that's precisely what it's done. You only two or three easy pays running to be anywhere between £30 and £80 in hock to QVC for three or even four months.

What I do now is add on to that spreadsheet everything I order from QVC and I store all the receipts in a folder. By heck you soon realise how much you're buying from QVC. And in my case nearly everything I buy from QVC is a treat for myself.

I haven't stopped buying but it has made me think far more carefully about how much I spend. I've set myself a limit which I cannot exceed unless it's birthday or Christmas. And it's working. And I'm not spending the money elsewhere either so it really is cutting costs.

This thread has made me look at my own orders from QVC this year. 6 items ordered, 1 returned as it was faulty and the Philip Kingsley Elasticiser is on its way back today. The items I have kept are a Yankee Candle set (for birthday presents), the Prai TSV(I needed some skincare and had always wanted to try this range) a Kipling drawstring bag (Iwanted this and it's been really useful) and the Ecoegg. Definitely am not buying as much this year and I always check online before placing an order.

I keep a spreadsheet with a note of easy pays so I know what I've got to pay and when. I didn't start it as a way of curbing my spending but that's precisely what it's done. You only two or three easy pays running to be anywhere between £30 and £80 in hock to QVC for three or even four months.

What I do now is add on to that spreadsheet everything I order from QVC and I store all the receipts in a folder. By heck you soon realise how much you're buying from QVC. And in my case nearly everything I buy from QVC is a treat for myself.

I haven't stopped buying but it has made me think far more carefully about how much I spend. I've set myself a limit which I cannot exceed unless it's birthday or Christmas. And it's working. And I'm not spending the money elsewhere either so it really is cutting costs.

my QVc "addiction" came to a head when my hubby wanted to change our mortgage and I had to produce 3 mnths of CC bills as it was an obvious expenditure every month.My DH handled it well - because he knew nothing about what I owed and ALL of it was QVC - and like you,the things I buy at QVC are purely for me.I was so sad that I'd been that selfish.

I paid off my CC quite quickly after - will never have another - and then stopped my QVC addiction.Life is better - and like you,I set myself an amount each month - and once its gone,its gone.I don't allow myself to carry that money forward either,if I don't spend my allowance one month.Seems harsh sometimes but we as a family are better off for it.

Sobering thoughts rainbowdottie - and well done! It's the impact of excessive spending on the rest of the family that can be heartbreaking, actually. Setting a monthly limit and sticking to it is a brilliant idea - great you're doing this.

thanks MC.I was actually getting very secretive about my CC - I shredded it the minute it came,I used money from my nana that she had given me for other things,to make some of my monthly payments.I was actually turning into quite a deceitful person.

Now my DH and I buy christmas/birthday presents,for each other,which we never had before- we have takeaways more often.Ok so we don't have loads of available cash - but its the little things we never had that make you think spending it on all this....stuff....is just not worth it

Latest posts

Back