QVC and high prices ..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

S

Spooky

Guest Shopper
Why do we hear so often that QVC have fab prices because of their buying powers, again I have found different.

My little girl has "KNOTTY" hair, goodness knows what goes on overnight but she is like a scarecrow in the morning LOL, so I thought I'd buy a tangle teezer for her. (as we tried one yesterday and it seemed quite effective) On QVC they do a duo for £19.25 plus £3.95 postage, so that's £23.20 for the pair. But when you see the demo its one of the "Original" TT's with a small travel size. So off I pop to shop online for pricing and you can order direct from TANGLE TEEZER themselves, on their website you could buy two "full size" original TT's for less money!! So that's two, not one and a half. But also they sell the newer model the Salon Elite so you could buy two of those - full size too.

I have just purchased two of the new Salon Elite ones and I was only charged £1.70 p&p for express delivery, result, not £3.95 with QVC ripoff postage.

Please shop around everyone, sometimes (I admit only sometimes) you can save yourself money!!!

sorry but QVC are hardly going to say:" but go on the companies website and you can get it cheaper"
they want to sell

today's consumers have to check prices, and QVc is often certainly not the cheapest

ooh I know that, i was just providing an example for reminding people to shop around and don't rely on their stated comments about their buying power.

Since cheque hold has gone I am starting to think twice about things that are on air at full price (ie not Easy Pay offers etc) as if there is no incentive to buy from them you could find you can get cheaper or quicker from elsewhere.

i do think they could be more competitive. it's not occasionally but most of the time it's cheaper elsewhere. if their prices were more competitive, we might not get so annoyed about the postage.

i try to research (as much as is possible) the items i would like to buy.Sometimes I can't help but feel that QVC rely on the customers that can't research....

If I see something I like I usually check out Amazon.co.uk for their prices or do a google search on the item and see what shows for prices. I know that they are a business like everyone else but they are the ones that say Q's buying power means lower prices.

It's the same for TSV's....I remember when I first started shopping on QVC (1998) a TSV was always a great bargain and not something that could be bought anywhere else.

I didn`t really know about cheque hold as its not mentioned on the web site or have I missed it ? With at gone can you not hold things anymore?

Some companies become arrogant ..such as marks and Spencer's a few years ago....had to revamp some of their image to get the punters in ....tescos is doing the same now ....But I think marks and Spencer's really had a wake up call...

Spooky, have you thought about silk pillowcases for your daughter? Q sells them and you have the 30 day return if you don't think it helps with her hair. I am 24/7 in bed with waist-length plaits and it's made a great difference. Just a thought ...

sorry but QVC are hardly going to say:" but go on the companies website and you can get it cheaper"
they want to sell

today's consumers have to check prices, and QVc is often certainly not the cheapest

They used to love pointing out that a product was so much cheaper on QVC than on the company's web site ( heard it on Liz Earle, Leighten Denny, Lola Rose|)I always thought this was a bit awkward for the guest as they were forced to admit their own site was more expensive! They have much more competition now especially ( as noted many times ) with P&P costs.I always order Liz Earle from their own website as if I go for a pack on offer that is free P&P ( & that includes any additional items too.)They always put a couple of good sized freebies in too.

Some companies become arrogant ..such as marks and Spencer's a few years ago....had to revamp some of their image to get the punters in ....tescos is doing the same now ....But I think marks and Spencer's really had a wake up call...

great comment, I do find them arrogant, complacent and patronising and as I said on another thread I have not bought anything for over 3 months now. They really do need to make some radical changes to woo back customers like me but then I guess this will not happen until they see a massive drop in profits. Heard a guy from Tesco on the Today programme this morning talking about the rethink that they are having in response to a drop in sales. A lot of it was "company speak" but it does sound like they are a bit rattled. Wonder if Q ever feel the chill wind of recession and the departure of customer loyalty?

No what I meant about cheque hold was that previously if I saw something I liked I could order it on cheque hold and then immediately trawl the net for cheaper elsewhere, so you then had an hour or so leighway before phoning CS and committing. Whereas now if you're interested you have to order it with debit card details and then the money is immediately allocated to them through the bank when you submit the order. I have found that within 15 mins of ordering the money has been "spoken for" from our bank. If you then find it cheaper elsewhere and cancel the order you have to wait approx 7 days before the "spoken for" amount is released back to your account. They say they do not take the funds until goods are despatched but it is allocated/held onto for them immediately and if you then cancel the order afterwards you have to wait until the computers decide nobody is going to actually claim it - this has a 7 day maximum timescale. So MUST try harder not to fall for the pushy sales ploy of buy it now, buy it now, once its gone it gone ... and if I lose out cause it sells out then so be it. EP is about the only incentive for me I think, cause P&P sure aint!

Spooky, have you thought about silk pillowcases for your daughter? Q sells them and you have the 30 day return if you don't think it helps with her hair. I am 24/7 in bed with waist-length plaits and it's made a great difference. Just a thought ...

in bed 24/7?? snarly, you need another (((((hug)))))

No what I meant about cheque hold was that previously if I saw something I liked I could order it on cheque hold and then immediately trawl the net for cheaper elsewhere, so you then had an hour or so leighway before phoning CS and committing. Whereas now if you're interested you have to order it with debit card details and then the money is immediately allocated to them through the bank when you submit the order. I have found that within 15 mins of ordering the money has been "spoken for" from our bank. If you then find it cheaper elsewhere and cancel the order you have to wait approx 7 days before the "spoken for" amount is released back to your account. They say they do not take the funds until goods are despatched but it is allocated/held onto for them immediately and if you then cancel the order afterwards you have to wait until the computers decide nobody is going to actually claim it - this has a 7 day maximum timescale. So MUST try harder not to fall for the pushy sales ploy of buy it now, buy it now, once its gone it gone ... and if I lose out cause it sells out then so be it. EP is about the only incentive for me I think, cause P&P sure aint!

spooky, you've confused me completely. you mean you can actually cancel? i thought once it was allocated, that was it and you were stuck with having to send it back. i probably won't buy anything now they no longer accept cheques. i know it wasn't meant to be a 'hold' although sometimes the presenters would suggest you do that - but i did it all the time so i could read reviews first, or even just think about it a while longer.

Hi Janie, oh yes, you can always cancel, but it was FAR easier to cancel when it was cheque hold as everything was in limbo waiting for payment. Whereas now it seems the moment you submit an order with a debit card the payment/funds are allocated out of your bank account into a holding account until QVC claim them - QVC claim them when the order is processed and dispatched. But the funds are taken away from your bank account as soon as you submit that order. (if you do online banking this will show up as the difference between account balance and available balance - this is why the available bal shows as a lower amount).

If you phone CS to cancel an order as long as they haven't shipped it they should be able to cancel it - but those little funds will have still been put aside, so half the time its worth letting the order go through normally. It can take up to a max of 7 days for the funds to automatically cancel off and go back to your available balance. (with my bank its ALWAYS the max 7 days, grrr!!). On the 7th day the computer system realises that the other party isn't going to call for them so wipes out the transaction.

I hope I've explained this better, but basically don't worry you can always cancel an order just the quicker the better so you don't risk they've put it through for despatch, I think they say there is a one hour slot to play with, but if you are paying by debit card just prepare for a wait to get those little bitty funds back.

This is all based on debit card order payments NOT credit cards, I don't have one of those so I have no idea if the same principle applies.

Last edited:
@janie Awww, right back at ya! (((hug))) You are a kind person! Since I have used the silk pillowcases for two years now, combing my hair is so much easier, tangle-free, and I haven't had to snip out tangles. Which has let me grow my hair longer. Hey what Snarly likes, she passes on ...

oooh thanks for the prompt Snarly re the silk pillowslips, I shall give this a try :) Her hair is lovely and shiny some of the time, all shampoo'd and conditioned perfectly, but she resembles a blinkin scarecrow every single morning and then I have to try my best not to pull when rushing to get her out the door for school. We've even gone shorter to shoulder length but even that isn't altering anything. She currently has flannel pillowcases so will swap them and see ... thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back