gem day tv

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

athena69

Registered Shopper
Hi guys, does anyone have the details of tomorrow's ostro blue topaz ring please, it's going to be on 3 easy payments and is set in white gold but that's all i know...... Thanks

What a difference a couple of years can make in the gold market. I bought in clearance a 16ct swiss blue topaz ring in 9ct white gold for............... £62 !!!!!!! (to be fair I think it was a mistake because it soon disappeared from clearance) - but having paid that, I certainly wont be forking out on this one !!!

Great find Brissles!

50p says the TSV sells out by 10am so they can shift lots of OTOs with lots of cloudy-looking -ites with very little gold or silver holding them together. Similarly unappealing "gem day prices" and three desperado easy-pays.

Jude xx

Oh buggeration. Once again I'm out at meetings! I do love a gem day. I'm a big fan of the opaque stones as well as the sparklers. Oh well it will simply be more that I didn't buy from QVC. Just as well really for the old bank balance.

I dont know how others find 'white' gold, and I love it, BUT BUT BUT when worn on a regular basis the 'white' wears off to leave the gold base metal underneath.

I have both 9ct and 18ct 'white' gold rings, and those that I wear regularly I take annually to the jewellers to have them re-rhodium plated. Just a word of warning if you decide to fork out £250 quid for the TSV !

I dont know how others find 'white' gold, and I love it, BUT BUT BUT when worn on a regular basis the 'white' wears off to leave the gold base metal underneath.

I have both 9ct and 18ct 'white' gold rings, and those that I wear regularly I take annually to the jewellers to have them re-rhodium plated. Just a word of warning if you decide to fork out £250 quid for the TSV !

Yes it happens to me too especially white gold chains. I have/had a very oily skin and silver used to tarnish really badly on me which was why i moved on to white gold. I wonder if oily skin has something to do with it? I've started buying 9ct yellow carat gold jewellery again and doesn't need to be replated.

BTW Brissles how much as you paying for the rhodium plating?

I dont know what the jewellery 'chains' charge (good play on words !) - but I take mine to a one-shop-family-business, and he charges me £40.

i love watching gem day and i remember the very first ones and the prices. there must be a tremendous mark up on jewellery

I've got white gold pieces that have mellowed with age but not to the point they need replating or look anything other than like white gold. It's especially noticeable on two or three colour pieces where the contrast is no longer as stark. But honestly if you want a bright white metal then silver is such a good choice. It needs regular cleaning but it is such a fab tone, feel and colour. And without the price tag.

White gold didn't exist until the early 20th century (I think).

I'm still a huge fan of rose gold and love it mixed with silver.

I find their prices for jewellery eye watering and can only assume many people aren't aware of the dedicated jewellery channels. Some of them sell on their stones to the likes of QVC so there will automatically be a large mark up. I've only bought the odd piece and that was always in Last Clicks.

I do agree that the dedicated jewellery channels can be cheaper but the quality is so patchy. I've only bought from GemsTV but I find it really hit and miss even if the piece would appear similar quality to something I've bought before.

I saw at lunchtime on QVC - 0.25ct stud earrings in 9ct Ygold, appalling clarity, no colour given. The stones didn't even come close to matching, the price was £400 and something.

TJC having sale today - have a pair of 0.25ct Iliana stud earrings, 18ct Ygold, G-H colour, SI clarity, screw post and butterfly - £299.95. OK, no three easy pays here and you can't return earrings unless there is something wrong with them, statutory rights apply. Iliana diamonds are very good quality and you wouldn't be disappointed.

Plenty of 9ct standard diamond rings/pendants etc, better than I've seen on Q today - 1ct from around £259.95 - 30 day return policy.

I like lots of QVC jewellery, but diamond isn't one of them.

The guests are all so sincere ... so intense ... so wired to taking your dosh :giggle:

The guests are all so sincere ... so intense ... so wired to taking your dosh :giggle:

Aren't they just! And so earnest with it.

However watching the guy on 3pm show ....Ruby Rhodonite....don't know his name, but on cursory glance seems to be more 'normal'. He says he cleans tarnished silver with a touch of toothpaste / soap and water. Works a treat! Wonder which brand he recommends? :grin:

And what's 'Lavender Tanzanite', a fancy name used just to boost the price of the paler gems?

Last edited:
Aren't they just! And so earnest with it.

However watching the guy on 3pm show ....Ruby Rhodonite....don't know his name, but on cursory glance seems to be more 'normal'. He says he cleans tarnished silver with a touch of toothpaste / soap and water. Works a treat! Wonder which brand he recommends? :grin:

And what's 'Lavender Tanzanite', a fancy name used just to boost the price of the paler gems?

Best buy the brand that closes the cavities over a period?

I've cleaned my jewellery for years with toothpaste, until I invested in a sonic cleaner.

As for 'lavender tanzanite' just a nicer name for inferior and lighter coloured tanzanite stones which usually appear set in silver.

Tinkerbelle - I too have white gold other than rings, and I've never had a problem. I think the oils in the skin can affect the colouration, as sometimes when wearing a 9ct yellow gold ring I get a black mark around my finger, as though its cheap metal. But I was told by the jeweller that white gold is not natural (obviously), so if a ring is worn constantly every day then fading can occur back to the base yellow metal.

Latest posts

Back