Is Seche Vite safe to use?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

slinky cat

Registered Shopper
I've just received the Seche Vite Trio from QVC which is amazing value for money. I haven't used this brand before and was shocked to find that Toluene is the second ingredient on the list! Maybe I should have looked into the ingredients more than the glowing reviews of the product.
I now have a dilemma and would love some advice from you kind and knowledgeable beauty shoppers... is Seche Vite Top Coat safe or do I send it back unused? :wonder:

i used this for years but it gets really gloopy so i use nails inc and i like leighton denny

Use one bottle (30%) and if your fingers shrivel up and drop off within the 30 day mbg then send it back. You may need help packing it back up....

I have a feeling that my scientific boyfriend will insist on me sending it back if he sees the ingredients. Oh well, the search continues....

(mum writes)

It's great stuff. I keep it in the fridge and find it doesn't go gloopy. I've got one bottle that must be approaching 3 years old now and it's still as good as when I bought it. Just don't breathe in the vapour when you use it and you'll be fine, that's standard stuff for nail products on the whole.

I must admit I used to wonder what was in the Nail Envy. That stuff has a really nasty smell to it.

I have a feeling that my scientific boyfriend will insist on me sending it back if he sees the ingredients. Oh well, the search continues....

If your boyfriend is showing that amount of interest in your nail polish then I think you may have more than Toluene to worry about...

Hi slinky cat, I think because you've noticed this ingredient and aren't happy about it, then you won't be happy using it. Depends on how much it costs, whether or not it's worth returning. A lot of nail polish companies nowadays, make a point of stating that their formulations are formaldehyde and toluene-free, and they do so for a reason i.e. eliminating the more toxic unnecessary ingredients from their products. Personally, I don't use nail polishes because of the fumes. There are 'green' nail polishes, by the way, which are free of the nasties, but I believe they are more difficult to remove and you need their own 'green' remover to remove it (also seem to remember that you're not supposed to keep this type of nail polish on for too long or it bonds more and gets more difficult to remove) - haven't bought any of this type of nail polish, but if I had my heart set on using nail polish, I would go and buy this type - but that's just me: I tend to go for natural stuff when it comes to cosmetics.

I've used it for ages and had no issues. I wouldn't think you'd want to sniff it for hours on end. I keep mine in a box with other nail polishes and it does whiff. But it is entirely up to you if you decide to buy it.

I too have used it for years and love it - best top coat ever in my opinion and I have tried all the others including LD and Nails Inc.

I always think life is too short to worry about a few chemicals in beauty products when we are probably breathing in all sorts of stuff when we are out and about: the stuff they spray on the fields, the paint or stuff that is in shopping centres etc, petrol fumes etc. We are probably more likely to 'catch' something from that than a bit of nail varnish.

I too have used it for years and love it - best top coat ever in my opinion and I have tried all the others including LD and Nails Inc.

I always think life is too short to worry about a few chemicals in beauty products when we are probably breathing in all sorts of stuff when we are out and about: the stuff they spray on the fields, the paint or stuff that is in shopping centres etc, petrol fumes etc. We are probably more likely to 'catch' something from that than a bit of nail varnish.

The voice of reason.

I've just got advice from my boyfriend and he more or less said the same. Apparentely I'm subjected to worse things on a daily basis just doing the housework!
I'll give the Seche Vite a go and judge it on it's performance.
Should I keep it in the fridge?

@SlinkyCat Ordering from Q allows you to read the ingredients, as they don't publish them, and return if you don't think it suitable. I have returned SBC/L'occitane/PerfectFormula/NailEnvy under DSR receiving refunds including the p&p because I didn't want their ingredients. NailEnvy contains formaldehyde and ProStrong contains fluoride. I use Seche Vite because it works the best in a search of 40+ years. I spend most of my day in bed as a result of illness, since 1989. I don't drink tea/coffee/colas/alcohol, and don't smoke ~ to cope with my illnesses. Having bright toenails 'makes my heart smile' as does a nice lippy. What works for one, may not be your choice. That's why it's good to have this forum and share ...

Not always so sadly. Some reactions are life changing and even life ending to common place beauty products.

Latest posts

Back