Makeup shades being renamed- frustrating

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JoeyEmma

Registered Shopper
I get really frustrated with QVC renaming all its foundation shades fair/ light/ light medium etc instead of sticking with what the manufacturers actually call the foundation.

I want to try the Smashbox Studio Skin foundation but they don't list the shade numbers and they don't know them when I phone up. A quick google, check on Sephora's website shows I will need 2.1, light beige, however QVC can't tell me if they sell this shade, its just fair or light. They do the same with Bobbi Brown. I know I wear Sand/ Light Bisque and yet they still continue to rename the products and can't tell you what shade is written on the bottle. Maybe they might get less returns and more satisfied customers if they provided enough information to help us choose.

And the models aren't any help- I've seen the same models being made up in anything from fair to medium depending on what brand they are selling, so it isn't like their renaming of shades has any consistency between all the lines that they sell.

I will never understand why they do this, it serves no purpose whatsoever - highly annoying I agree!

If they just told you "this is the light shade, if you have worn this before, its also known as Sand" or something like that, it would make it so much easier. I've never bought a foundation from QVC because of the stupid shade renaming!

I agree, it's really confusing and remember when Jemma Kidd first launched they all got in a dreadful tizzy with it all. Don't see why they can't use the same names , t'would be far more straightforward if they did. They must get loads of returns where people have simply ordered the wrong shade by mistake.

Funny when they do Bobbie Brown.
If you buy .......... in store then order ....... shade and if you buy ....... then order ....... or if you buy in store ....... you'll need to order .......
Then add on the P&P or don't bother just continue to buy in store. :smirk:

Don`t you think its just to make it very difficult for you to buy elsewhere once you have bought from QVC , obviously making it difficult for you to buy the same shade.............its not only with make up, they have a problem with colours on just about everything they sell!!

Don`t you think its just to make it very difficult for you to buy elsewhere once you have bought from QVC , obviously making it difficult for you to buy the same shade.............its not only with make up, they have a problem with colours on just about everything they sell!!

and sizes!

I get really frustrated with QVC renaming all its foundation shades fair/ light/ light medium etc instead of sticking with what the manufacturers actually call the foundation.

I want to try the Smashbox Studio Skin foundation but they don't list the shade numbers and they don't know them when I phone up. A quick google, check on Sephora's website shows I will need 2.1, light beige, however QVC can't tell me if they sell this shade, its just fair or light. They do the same with Bobbi Brown. I know I wear Sand/ Light Bisque and yet they still continue to rename the products and can't tell you what shade is written on the bottle. Maybe they might get less returns and more satisfied customers if they provided enough information to help us choose.

And the models aren't any help- I've seen the same models being made up in anything from fair to medium depending on what brand they are selling, so it isn't like their renaming of shades has any consistency between all the lines that they sell.

I've noticed they do this as well. Very annoying!! I think it goes against them to be honest. I've noticed that on the QVC US website they keep the original names.

Johnnie from Laura Geller seemed to be annoyed that they now call the shade of BB that is Regular.. they now call Medium.. then say oh this is called regular. Why not just call it regular then? Then the same item in a kit they actually called it regular! Grrr!!

Also annoys me that in Mally shows the shades of lipstick are really different to the normal names and there is no video presentation on the item online and I can't remember which one I liked in the original name as I could find swatches online and find out more info to make sure I wanted to buy it but oh no.. no I can't!

I don't think they sell all the shades of BB on QVC anyway, it's a bit unfair really. I've seen the one on the bobbi brown website and have been matched before but didn't buy and I managed to work out that it was a shade in between of the ones they sell on qvc so that is rubbish! Bad for anyone who has a slightly different skintone. They just sell the most popular ones to make the most money. I totally agree about the models as well, so hard to choose!!

The Product Information Team (call them on the CS number) can go into the warehouse and look at the shades printed on the bottles, if you ask them.

Hope this helps x

I called today and they told me it want on the computer and there was no way for them to find out for me!

I know I was Warm Ivory in BB when I used to use it years ago.

Prescriptives was the worse on QVC, they had so many and it went by skin tone as well!!!! I was Y/O in Cream so knew if I wanted a new foundation(they brought out new ones now and then), I would be that no matter what the formula they released.

I agree that it is so annoying.... really do not see the point in renaming them as everyone gets confused and they must end up with more returns than they should because of it.
Tbh, I got so fed up that I ended up buying LG Balance n Brighten as you did not have to be 'exact' match BUT saying that, even this is now becoming a pain as there is NEVER enough stock in for me to re-order - argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think, I am going to have to go back to the High Street products again as at least then I can see what I am getting and not having to fork out on QVC extortionate P & P charges and extra with all the returns.

As for the sizing on QVC - WELL...... that is another bug bear on mine - it makes it impossible to be able to order anything as even in the same designers, their sizes alter....

I agree it is very annoying; I had problems with ordering an eye pencil once where I ended up buying the jet black and if I had know I would not have ordered it in the first place. I looked at other website for the same products where the colours were explained properly. I do wish they would stick with the makers original and then hopefully we know where we stand then.

Perhaps they think you will buy and not be bothered to return the item, but I sent it back and got one from elsewhere.

I have noticed it more with Bare Minerals and Bobby Brown.

Latest posts

Back