Bring back any memories?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Diamond Diva

Registered Shopper
Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained.
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.
My parents never drove me to school, we didn't have a car until I was 12. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed (slow).
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 7. It was, of course, black and white, when you turned it on it had warm up before the program came on, the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue and when you turned it off there was a little white dot that gradually disappeared
Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.
All newspapers were delivered by boys seven days a week who had to get up at 6 AM every morning.
Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

How many do you remember?
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom

1. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
7. Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10. Record players
11. Metal ice trays with levers
12. Blue flashbulb
13. Cork popguns
14. Wash tub wringers
15. If you wanted to find anything out you went to the library

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends....!!!!!!!!!

:mysmilie_513:

The good old days.....

I loved my bike, it was black and second hand. Went anywhere and everywhere with no cares or worries about safety issues that seem to be paramount these days.
I loved those sweet cigarettes and sherbet fountains - which are still available today.

Last edited:
I remember all of it - and the crankshaft to start a car.

I had a email just this morning that brought back memories -

Remembering Mam's Clothesline

(There is one thing that's left out. We had a long wooden pole - clothes pole - that was used to push

the clotheslines up so that longer items (sheets/pants/etc.) didn't brush the ground and get dirty.

You have to be a "certain age" to appreciate this one.... )

I can hear my mother now.....
THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES:

(If you don't even know what clotheslines are, better skip this.)

1. You had to hang the socks by the toes... NOT the top.

2. You hung pants by the BOTTOM/cuffs... NOT the waistbands.

3. You had to WASH the clothesline(s) before hanging any clothes - walk the entire length of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.

4. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.

5. You NEVER hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?

6. Wash day on a Monday! NEVER hang clothes on the weekend, or on Sunday, for Heaven's sake!

7. Hang the sheets and towels on the OUTSIDE lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)

8. It didn't matter if it was sub-zero weather... clothes would "freeze-dry."

9. ALWAYS gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky"!

10. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with

the next washed item.

11. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.

12. IRONED???!! Well, that's a whole OTHER subject!

I loved my bike, it was black and second hand. Went anywhere and everywhere with no cares or worries about safety issues that seem to be paramount these days.
I loved those sweet cigarettes and sherbet fountains - which are still available today.

Awh, I loved my bike too. Mine was dark blue & white.
We used our bikes to get to a copse which we called 'Bluebell Wood' (weren't they all called that?) and have 'picnics' - jam sandwiches & an empty pop bottle, the ones with the snap stopper - http://www.roullierwhite.com/old-fa...le-with-reusable-stopper---1-litre-2049-p.asp - filled with water

Ah, yes well, you see it was an undercover mission!
Sneak in, grab & run before our Mama said,"What are you doing?"

Awh, I loved my bike too. Mine was dark blue & white.
We used our bikes to get to a copse which we called 'Bluebell Wood' (weren't they all called that?) and have 'picnics' - jam sandwiches & an empty pop bottle, the ones with the snap stopper - http://www.roullierwhite.com/old-fa...le-with-reusable-stopper---1-litre-2049-p.asp - filled with water

I remember my gran making ginger beer in the stone version of these, it was absolutely delicious. The big treat at the end of a picnic was granddad passing round Osbourne biscuits and squares of Cadburys chocolate. Couldn't have been long after sweet rationing ended, I can still taste that wonderful combination!

I'm definitely in the 11-14 range!

Latest posts

Back