OH was right....Pasta making - Life's too short!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I'd gone shopping with the girls and saw a manual pasta machine for a mere 20 notes, so bought it for OH who reckons on being a bit of a "foodie". Gave it to him, and he said he was always a bit skeptical about these machines...Ie, is it really worth the hassle when you can buy ready made pasta for pennies, even the fresh stuff's fairly cheap. He agreed to give it a go. He bought a bag of expensive pasta flour and said he'd tackle it on his day off. He had a quick read of the manual and pretty much decided after seeing diagrams of individual threads of pasta hanging on some kind of wooden contraption, that life indeed is too short and "darling, is it too late to get a refund?" Sadly it was, but I donated the machine to the local charity shop.

A few weeks later, I saw that Kenwood do a pasta making attachment for the "Chef" and I've got one. I read the blurb, and wow, this looked really simple. Make the dough in the chef, and simply feed it through the attachment. There was about six different interchangeable outlets for spaghetti, rigatoni, tagliatelle, penne and lasagne cant remember the other. I bought it. OH said "WHY?" It's not going to work, i'm having nothing to do with it, if you want to make pasta then by all means have a go....so I did. The recipe called for plain flour, but I ignored it and made up the mixture using the expensive pasta flour we'd bought. It soon became very evident that it was the wrong consistency and would never pass through the machine. So undettered, I made up another batch using plain flour....I started feeding the mix through the machine, and very slowly it started to come through...I was well excited. However it got blocked up every five seconds as you can only put the minutest amount of mixture into the tube, it went everywhere, the machine seemed to be over heating. I tried using a different head but the results were dreadful coming out cracked and curly. The instructions said it would start to come out curly, but simply reprocess it...I think they'd forgotten that when it comes out...it would be the wrong consistency to put back into the machine. Well I decided to cook up the small amount of pasta that had taken nearly an hour to do, (and had to be used within four hours) very convenient that! It broke up slightly on cooking, tasted nice..but not special enough to make all that hassle worthwhile...Yep hubby...definitely life's too short. Least I haven't left it too late to get my money back this time!

Oh dear I always think that I should be making my own pasta especially after watching cookery shows on the T.V.
Put I am so glad that you have been there and done that and got the tee shirt so I now don't have to bother.
I will continue to buy the dried stuff from Aldi and save my self lots of time and even more money.
THANK YOU Merryone for doing a test run for us.
Karen
P.s
Isn't it galling when they say "I told you so"
And I am glad that you can get your money back this time so not quite such a disaster.

Forgot to mention what an ar$e to clean it was as well. You a provided with a special pin to clean out all the little nooks and crannies. I kept going back to it, cause the job would have taken more than half an hour if I were to do it all in one go! I know people say that home made pasta tastes heaps better than shop bought, but having tasted mine I'm not that convinced, ( I did do the recipe right)..and pasta's as much about the sauce I would think. ..all in all a pasta disasta! Wonder what time wasting gadget I can spend my refund money on..tee hee!

Was quite expecting many responses in defence of making yer own pasta. I really thought it was "The thing to do" and that's some of the reason I bought into the idea. I did have slight reservations, but I didn't think it would be that difficult. I thought it would be a case of whacking up the dough in the food processor and that the magic magic would turn it into pasta in a few minutes. Learning curve maybe? But I'm not that patient, If I buy a gadget I expect it not only to be easy to use, but to produce good results first time.

The other thing I've often been tempted with is a sewing machine, but I just KNOW I'd never get to grips with it, so far I've saved my money!

Nope. We went down that road and never again!! Hubby is one of those really annoying cooks who feels he has to make everything, but I think even he has gone off the pasta machine - thankfully ;)

It's currently gathering dust in the cupboard with the bread maker and the smoothie maker. I do wish m.i.l would stop buying us kitchen gadgets :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back