Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick - any good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My daughter has the Rose version and she loves it. It looks very pretty on.

Many love them. BUT, be careful after a certain age they don't look good. They always go on about it being used as a blush but again, you can end up looking like the tin man. You have seen AY with the shiny shiny shiny cheeks, that is shimmerbrick. I always thought the Smashbox Softlights better not so much shimmer and much easier to wear.

I do like my shimmer brick but less is definatly more the limited edition finishing powder in the silver compact, don't know if QVC still have it in stock, I got mine from the BB counter ,is less "shimmery" than the actual shimmer brick

They're okay for going out at night but way too shiny for daytime. I bought mine thinking it would give me the hydrated dewy look but it's definitely not that.

It is an excellent product, I use it most of the time when I go out and on those days people say how healthy I look. I am not very keen on the shimmery part of it,and it takes good light and time to apply without getting too much "shine" so if I am in a rush, (most of the time I "do my face" while OH drives the car) I use something else, but if it makes me look well in other people's eyes, I am all for it:happy:
I don't often recommend things, but this one I will, with confidence(mentioning the shimmer issue)

Many love them. BUT, be careful after a certain age they don't look good. They always go on about it being used as a blush but again, you can end up looking like the tin man. You have seen AY with the shiny shiny shiny cheeks, that is shimmerbrick. I always thought the Smashbox Softlights better not so much shimmer and much easier to wear.

Not sure what age you mean but my mum is in her late 60s and uses shimmer brick, in fact Paul from BB encouraged her to do so!

I find it too shiny.I suppose its all down to opinion and skin tone.I have quite a high colour roscea face - I like things to be matt......my rose shimmer brick is not my best buy....but then I sometimes think I should have gone against the advice and gone for my instinct of the bronze shade.I always veer to bronze/brown blushers,so its a shame I bought it in pink.Want to love it,but I don't

I love it and i am the wrong side of 50 so your age of 45 would be fine. You have to follow the less in more approach with it and just apply the lightest bit. Swirl the brush in (a large face brush is best) and then tap off the excess then just use gently where you want a sheen. This means that the compacts last forever. I have the bronze which i use in the summer and the rose quartz for the winter and I have used them everyday for about 18 months and you can hardly see where I have used it.

I have just ordered the brightening finishing powder as I had the lady on my local BB counter test this on me the other day and this gave a lovely glow without being too shiny. So hopefully you can be 'less careful' when applying this. They have been on waitlist for ages on QVC and out of stock on my local counters in store so I have had to order online to get it. But it did look lovely when it was put on me.

Maybe you should try to get to a counter and have a play. The girls in store are always very helpful and happy to test anything actually on you if you want. Although if you are ordering from QVC you have your 30 day mbg but then have to pay the postage. The products are always the same price on QVC as instore or online so no great saving unless it is part of a kit.

ps - I do not use the 'trowel it on method' al la Alison Young!!!!!!!!

No, it is nothing to do with age, really. I used to use shimmer brick but don't any more as I find the Laura Geller pink grapefruit blush and her portofino highlighter better on me. I found the shimmer bricks varied according to which colour you choose. I had the rose, the pink quartz and a limited edition one called "beach". The Rose was the one I used the most. A little goes a long way, as it is quite highly pigmented but if you get it right it's a lovely soft pink flush. Not too much shimmer. The pink quartz was very natural, again not too much shimmer, and I found it almost undetectable on my skin (I use "light" in BE and Mally foundation). The worst by far was the limited edition Beach" one. It had way too much shine and the colour was very strong too, with only the smallest quantity it just was so glittery almost. I hated it. My advice would be to go to the Bobbi Brown counter to try them all or use the MBG from Q if you get one from there.

Thanks all for the information. I never thought about visiting a counter for advice. Will try that. I take on board about the 'less is best' approach, as that was one of my concerns that I would look too shiny.

Weathergirl, I too like LG Pink grapefruit.

I have just ordered the brightening finishing powder as I had the lady on my local BB counter test this on me the other day and this gave a lovely glow without being too shiny. So hopefully you can be 'less careful' when applying this. They have been on waitlist for ages on QVC and out of stock on my local counters in store so I have had to order online to get it. But it did look lovely when it was put on me.

Maybe you should try to get to a counter and have a play. The girls in store are always very helpful and happy to test anything actually on you if you want. Although if you are ordering from QVC you have your 30 day mbg but then have to pay the postage. The products are always the same price on QVC as instore or online so no great saving unless it is part of a kit.

ps - I do not use the 'trowel it on method' al la Alison Young!!!!!!!!

That's the one I meant, couldn't remember what it was called. I got mine off counter when it first came out and it's brilliant, you can put it all over the face which I would never do with shimmer brick, it gives you a glow with no shimmer. When I first started using it people kept telling me I looked "well".
Shimmer brick is good at what it is as long as you don't plaster it on then you just look shiney. The lighter bands are great for highlighting under the brow, the darker shades make good eyeshadows - for a night out bit too shiney for the daytime for me- if you just use it above the cheekbone as a highlighter it does give your face a lift I have had one of mine for close on to 2 years and it's hardly gone down at all. The secret to shimmer brick is definatly in the application

you may have good skin at any age so go for it. i have always wanted to buy the shimmer bricks and have been trying them out in the stores near me for several years and i never like them on me. i find them all a bit tooo glittery.
oddly though i dont love laura geller but i adore her blushers as the balance is very good between pigment and a nice highlted gleam. buy the best brushes you can afford that really helps a lot!

The body shop do something very similar. I have the pink and bronze ones. The reviews on Make Up Alley compare them very favorably to the BB ones.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

primark were doing some please dont ask me about the quality though but they were £3 each lol

I have a pale olive complexion and have it in "rose" and it is very flattering
I have oily skin and large pores around the t-zone areas so I restrict use to temples, top of cheek bones and brow bones.

it is quite shiny so dont over do application

dont touch it if your skin has large pores or an uneven surface as this will really emphasise these!: (

Latest posts

Back