Excuse my ignorance........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

inatizzy

Registered Shopper
.......... but I don't know what the term 'J backed' (on some of the Rings) shown on the Q means.

Customer Service fobbed me off with 'coated' ??

I know one of you will be able to explain it better than that.

PS I did say "coated?" "coated in what? - chocolate? - peanut butter?"

She was not amused.............

I thought it was the metal work under the stone, there to let the light shine through the stone

It means that the ring is finished properly in my opinion. But certain stones/designs are rarely j backed. The stone is set in the ring as normal but underneath the stones isn't open. The underside is encased in metal. It's usually finished with a filigree design in whatever metal the ring is made of. It makes it very comfortable to wear and usually puts an end to a heavy ring twisting round on the finger because it is accurately sized.

J backing also means the ring is less likely to have a hollowed out band.

Hope that makes sense.

QVC would have you believe that J backing equates to quality. But it's more to do with the stone and the setting. Not every expensive ring is j backed.

Last edited:
I thought I heard it was short for jacket. Like Minim and Tinkerbelle said, I think it's the filigree design under the stone(s). Like a bridge joining the shoulders providing stability so your finger is fully encased in metal. Would make a good twitter question during the day, though!

Thank you very much minim X Tinkerbelle X and Snarly X

Explained VERY well and I understand now.

The Customer Service wasn't much of a 'service' then !

She even went off to check first and came back with that little gem........

Knew I could rely on my friends on here (should have asked on here to begin with)

inatizzy X

.......... but I don't know what the term 'J backed' (on some of the Rings) shown on the Q means.

Customer Service fobbed me off with 'coated' ??

I know one of you will be able to explain it better than that.

PS I did say "coated?" "coated in what? - chocolate? - peanut butter?"

She was not amused.............

This CS lady clearly doesn't know her stuff. If she had said 'comfort fit', that would have made more sense. A J backing allows the ring to slide on the finger more smoothly and as has been said, sits more comfortably. Also another bonus is that you get a little bit more metal weight and also a decorative interior finish.

I believe this is 'J' backed ladies?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336242549656.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336242549656.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 193

Latest posts

Back