Another bandwagon...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
...for QVC to jump on. Recently we had the Titanic anniversary. Now the Olympics and the jubilee. What next?

And OTO's....whilst they are great if it's something you use regularly, wanted to try for ages or, more importantly something you would have bought anyway.... but if none of those you aren't saving anything at all. You are just spending! It's just the on air price anyhow, will end up in clearance or cheaper in last clicks. They probably won't air the item again anyhow.

...for QVC to jump on. Recently we had the Titanic anniversary. Now the Olympics and the jubilee. What next?

And OTO's....whilst they are great if it's something you use regularly, wanted to try for ages or, more importantly something you would have bought anyway.... but if none of those you aren't saving anything at all. You are just spending! It's just the on air price anyhow, will end up in clearance or cheaper in last clicks. They probably won't air the item again anyhow.

Possibly the anniversary of Ju's leggings & toeposts?

Followed by Christmas in July with all the tat they didn't sell last year! Ooooh I can feel the excitement already! - "Jingle bells", "Jingle bells" :mysmilie_500:

Apparently it's 200 years since the birth of Charles Dickens so we could have

Bleak House -bedding and lamps
Great Expectations- maternity wear
Oliver Twist- bowls
Hard Times -value range of watches
Little Dorrit -children's clothing
A Christmas Carol - obviously anything christmassy
Pickwick Papers - stationery
David Copperfield - can't think of anything!
etc.

Charles Dickens Era

They have PIPpa working in the Emporium selling Ladies Foundations and Outer Wear (Spanx, clothes); Haberdashery (craft ribbons); Foodstuffs (pies); Ironmongery (Cooks Essentials); Imported Items from the Orient (Honora), the Colonies (Kim&Co) and the Continent (Harald). Diet Chef includes the 'gruel', one bit per day and No More! Prices and Yankee Candles supply the wax tapers, on the British front and imported from the Colonies. ;-)

Wow you are all so imaginative! Who would have thought my thread would evolve like this! Putting a smile on my face this gloomy bank holiday.

At least this thread shows that we are old enough and intelligent enough to KNOW who Charles Dickens is !!!!!!!!! believe you me there are countless numbers out there who have never heard of him !!!!!!

(Talking to a 30 something the other day, who hadn't a clue who Trevor Howard was - and don't even get me going on my fav Mr Sinatra who is rapidly being consigned to the bottom of the history pile ! )

Erm, now I am 30 something and reasonably intelligent ( well, sometimes....) and I know about Dickens and the great Frank Sinatra, but...who is Trevor Howard ??? (blush)

At least this thread shows that we are old enough and intelligent enough to KNOW who Charles Dickens is !!!!!!!!! believe you me there are countless numbers out there who have never heard of him !!!!!!

(Talking to a 30 something the other day, who hadn't a clue who Trevor Howard was - and don't even get me going on my fav Mr Sinatra who is rapidly being consigned to the bottom of the history pile ! )

One of my neighbours told me she'd never heard of Brief Encounter- how can that be?
Made me feel quite ancient and I am only 50, well nearly 51! Perhaps I'm strange as I adore old black and white films and have been reading Dickens and all the classics since I was a young 'un.

Trevor Howard, is up there with some of the all time great BRITISH actors - ie. Jack Hawkins, John Mills, etc and appeared in countless war movies.

BRIEF ENCOUNTER with Celia Johnson is the epitome of the all time weepy with no sex or swearing and very good manners ! ( I weep for the upcoming generations who simply have no idea about these great actors and movies and who are fed a diet of 'pap' and unfunny comedy films with stars (?) who wont last the course)

Not to mention reality programmes following the lives of nobodies - which proves, it's all swings & roundabouts.

Not to mention reality programmes following the lives of nobodies - which proves, it's all swings & roundabouts.

I've just had a thought! Is it an insight into our society? People watch programmes such as TOWIE (The only way is Essex) because they cannot talk about their neighbours because they don't know them. Most women and alot of men like to discuss other people and unless you have groups that you meet and talk to then there is no one to talk about.

The same probably applies to this forum where people discuss the presenters. I'm not interested in the presenters myself but I am interested in the products and shopping or trying not to shop at the moment! I enjoy the advice given on the forum.

I love those old b/w films too - usually check if there are any on to tape during the day and watch in the evening instead of the tripe they feed us! Why oh why do we never see a good old Bette Davis or Jimmy Cagney film on the box these days! Wonder if they would provide an "old film channel" for us er..people of a certain age!

Now I know the movie Brief Encounter, my hubby loves old movies and I have seen Sleepless in Seattle which refers to it throughout. But I didn't know the name of the actor. And I HATE TOWIE and any reality TV. Though I confess to watching The Voice at the mo. does not really count as reality tho.

I'm only mid-30s and I love the old "black and whites" and mum does too. When they are shown she records them to watch in the evenings as there's nothing to watch elsewhere now. Modern movies are mostly rubbish, reality TV sucks, soaps are depressing, comedy these days isn't even remotely funny, and if I see Richard Jackson once more I'll explode. I'm glad to see others who feel the same way as we were only discussing this at home recently.

Now I know the movie Brief Encounter, my hubby loves old movies and I have seen Sleepless in Seattle which refers to it throughout. But I didn't know the name of the actor. And I HATE TOWIE and any reality TV. Though I confess to watching The Voice at the mo. does not really count as reality tho.[/QUOTE

Um...think that's "An Affair To Remember" Weathergirl, not "Brief Encounter"!]

My all-time favourite is 86 CharingCrossRoad with Anthony Hopkins, Ann Bancroft and Judi Densch. Sophisticated, intellectual and sedate. Great book, great movie. About 50s rationing in Britain, friendship between US and GB strangers and books. My love of the writings of John Donne, NoManIsAnIsland, came about because of this film. To me, a Satisfying movie-when it's finished, I feel full and nourished like after eating a good meal. 'cept it's my mind that's been fed.

Latest posts

Back