What no cheque hold?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

teessvee

Registered Shopper
I am in shock what will I do now? Way to go QVC alienating a lot of people who do not use cards. I know they have probably done it to stop us using it as a cooling off period but still what ever happened to the customer is always right? I will be buying much less now I can't hold it and check prices elsewhere. Anyone not use cards on here what are you going to do now?

It was discontinued beginning of April. No other shopping channel has taken cheques for years or even at all. Shops don't take them now so why should QVC?

QVC want your money straight away, people order then leave stuff hanging around for up to 10 days before paying or cancelling. Other people on waitlist.

It never was for holding items, but for people who had to pay by cheque.

Weren't cheques going to be phased out altogether? Or have the government changed their mind on that?

I do miss chequehold and confess I did use it as a reflection period to give me time to decide whether I wanted to proceed with a purchase. I'd be interested to know just what percentage of transactions were made by cheque, and even more so by postal order - I wasn't sure they still existed!

The only reason I ever write a cheque is for my children at school.Other than that,I never use it.

I'm personally pleased that QVC have got rid of cheques.I do think it was to stop people "holding" stuff for long periods and then changing the mind.I don't think it should ever been used to hold stuff whilst other prices are being checked.By all means check the prices......but other people may want what you're checking with their card in their hand,ready to go.

Had to pay my builder a deposit by cheque. Hunted high and low for that cheque book. Finally found it, used the last cheque in Sept 2005, for a nieces school trip as her Mum could not find her cheque book, the one before was dated Jan 2001!
I really can not imagine that QVC did a lot of business with cheques

i used to use it while i checked prices and read reviews. ok, someone else might be waiting, card in hand but that same someone else might also get what i had on waitlist AFTER i went on the waitlist. qvc do not operate a first come first served policy as anyone who's been messed around on waitlist will know and i for one, don't feel the slightest bit guilty about putting things on hold. i'm sure i will buy very little from now on.

I have to confess that if I had spent a lot on my credit and debit cards, I would sometimes put an item or two on cheque hold so that I would be able to pay for it a week later - which I know is not how it should be used. I would then create a cheque from my Building Society savings account or change my payment method on the internet so the money could be taken straight out, but much later than the day the item was aired, and a couple of times I have cancelled. I don't really mind that it has gone, but my sister used to pay that way and isn't very happy about it, so I will probably get her bits and pieces on my account and she can pay me back.

Cheques are just hanging in there but they are open to such fraud and abuse I do think one day they will be gone. They are a means of paying not holding items I have to agree, maybe this had influenced QVC's decision to stop them but I expect the main reason is the cost in processing cheques.

I suspect the main reason QVC have cancelled cheque hold is because they don't believe it will impact their business/profits to any great degree.

It was discontinued beginning of April. No other shopping channel has taken cheques for years or even at all. Shops don't take them now so why should QVC?

QVC want your money straight away, people order then leave stuff hanging around for up to 10 days before paying or cancelling. Other people on waitlist.

It never was for holding items, but for people who had to pay by cheque.

As I said in my original post I understand why they did it but there are still people out there who do not trust cards and still do everything by cheque. For those people it is saying we don't need your custom which I personally find very arrogant of them.

I have to confess that if I had spent a lot on my credit and debit cards, I would sometimes put an item or two on cheque hold so that I would be able to pay for it a week later - which I know is not how it should be used. I would then create a cheque from my Building Society savings account or change my payment method on the internet so the money could be taken straight out, but much later than the day the item was aired, and a couple of times I have cancelled. I don't really mind that it has gone, but my sister used to pay that way and isn't very happy about it, so I will probably get her bits and pieces on my account and she can pay me back.

Exactly my point, your Sister is one of the people I am talking about. Just because others do not use cheques does not meean everyone doesn't, and that said those people who do still use them may not have someone else to get things for them.

We can debate all we like, simple QVC and 99.9% of other traders don't take them now.

I am surprised QVC actually kept it so long. Bet very few actually paid by cheque.

If people don't trust cards, but cheques were widely open to fraud. Cost too much money to process them etc.

How else would we pay for major home improvements? When I had my bathroom done it was a massive job... Could hardly give the plumber cash for the lot!

bank transfer must be the way forward, although people are so reluctant to give you their account details, and yet they are happy to give you a cheque, with all the same info on it anyway

We pay for certain regular payments on internet banking but I loathe and mistrust it, even though I am of the younger generation. Aside from all the risks of fraud etc, apparently if you make a mistake it is your fault and the bank will not reverse a transaction sent in error. For that reason I prefer to let the bank process payments so if an error is made by them they put it right. My husband is happy to use internet banking but I detest it. I always tell them off too, if the bank rings me and asks me for my security details. I say hey, you rang me, you could ne anybody, I am not telling you anything. Isn't it sad that I feel obliged to be so suspicious of everything these days?

Latest posts

Back