Product dumping.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
I'm beginning to really dislike the selling practices of Gatineau. Recently they were selling the Melatogenine face cream at a discounted price for a while. Andrew kept saying that it had taken a lot of negotiation and he'd done it to give us a thank you for being such loyal customers over the years. How many L's are there in bo*****s? Actually, it was being sold cheaply because Gatineau had a new version of the cream up their sleeves and wanted to dump the old stock as quickly as possible so they could launch. I said at the time that there must be a new version coming soon because I'd been caught like this before when they first upgraded the formula.

I know this is a common enough practice in business, especially with technology, but I really do not like the way we're being told it's something oh so special just because we love you so much. Why can't they just be honest, tell us what's going on and that they're flogging it off cheap to sell it fast. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt - if you like the cream as it stands you'll buy it anyway, especially at a big discount.

I guess they flogged enough to be able to launch the try-me kit, which is full of other stuff you don't want anyway.

Last edited:
I didn't know that a new version is coming out. For a long time we hardly saw defilift except in the small size in kits but these last few months they have been showing the full size on it's own and with the cleansers etc. so I suspected this was on it's way out. A few months ago they had the cleanser and toner sets on and Andrew said to get them while you can because they are being discontinued later in the year.Those cleansers and toners are now being sold with defilift and a few other things at much reduced prices.I wonder if they are bringing out a new cleanser similar to cleanse & polish and Elemis pro radiance. I don't like melatogenine,it's too greasy for me and rolled off my skin in little bits.

I'm not into the skincare of QVC really.Im quite shocked at this practise. I agree with whatr you say...theres always lots of new and improved coming along....but they don't go on TV telling lies about the product they've just updated.Poor show QVC.

I absolutely agree with you Moth. I watched a presentation of the try me with Andrew and Jilly and was underwhelmed by their tactics. Jilly coasted along on the crest of the wave of 'the latest must have cream' without asking anything useful like is Melatogenine as we know it being discontinued, or is this better than Age Benefit (ha - that was a flop) and how do the various products compare. I like Melatogenine - it works for me and the texture is rich. I didn't like Age Benefit at all and this new effort looks very thin.

I thought Andrew was slightly ridiculous in his excitement. He told us that the last time they improved Melatogenine they did so by adding more Melatogenine and he was afraid that they would do the same again and was so delighted that there are extra technologies in the new cream. Since when was he a beauty scientist? Is he the new Fiona - the oracle of product development? I was disillusioned by the whole thing.

they talk a load of rubbish and what's worse is that they apparently expect us to believe them.

He never actually says what "Melatogenine" is other than the cobblers about it being a yoof molecule. Is it related to lard or chip fat?

If it was favourite face cream I'd rather know it was being upgraded as I would then have bought a stash but if they didn't tell me I might not have bought assuming that I could always buy next week, next month or whenever I wanted to.

I'm beginning to really dislike the selling practices of Gatineau. Recently they were selling the Melatogenine face cream at a discounted price for a while. Andrew kept saying that it had taken a lot of negotiation and he'd done it to give us a thank you for being such loyal customers over the years. How many L's are there in bo*****s? Actually, it was being sold cheaply because Gatineau had a new version of the cream up their sleeves and wanted to dump the old stock as quickly as possible so they could launch. I said at the time that there must be a new version coming soon because I'd been caught like this before when they first upgraded the formula.

I know this is a common enough practice in business, especially with technology, but I really do not like the way we're being told it's something oh so special just because we love you so much. Why can't they just be honest, tell us what's going on and that they're flogging it off cheap to sell it fast. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt - if you like the cream as it stands you'll buy it anyway, especially at a big discount.

I guess they flogged enough to be able to launch the try-me kit, which is full of other stuff you don't want anyway.

I bought my husband a Flip video recorder for Christmas and just after Christmas when I tried to buy a charger that was advertised in the leaflet rather than do it via the computer a message came up that they aren`t making recorders anymore but concentrating on their core business so it seemed to me that they were just off loaded on us probably bought by them at a real bargain price I think that kind of business practice just stinks!!

I have to agree I thought the same when I saw the new packaging and the probiotic face cream. Does it mean it is now full of bacteria!

It's clever marketing. None of it works anyway. They're just playing on the fact that we all want to continue to look young for as long as possible and are desperately holding onto the fact that some product will allow us to do that. I was shocked to see some Perricone serum for £166 plus P&P earlier. What???? If people are gullible enough to believe it's going to work then they can't be criticised for cashing in.

A thought floated past me yesterday when I caught a glimpse of the Kipling Hour.One of the bags was a sort of quilted shiney nylon range ( sorry don't know the marketing name!) but I bought a bag from this range last Autumn from the Kipling store in Regent St. London.Also I was in this shop a couple of weeks ago & there was nothing like this in there now.So I wondered if they moved previous seasons ranges to QVC? The bag by the way is lovely, so nothing wrong with it, just previous season's stock.

Take a look at Kipling's own website. There is an outlet section with 30% off as long as you don't mind the colour. There are items you can't get on QVC, and they accept paypal, with free delivery on all items. I just got a fab Blossom 2 go make up bag, a large version of the small blossom that was with the exclusive to QVC Morrissey bag. It is fab, holds all my make up and my smashbox brushes in its own section. Also got an amazing palm beach vanity case and a multiple convertible waist bag to shoulderbag. All are indispensible to me for every day and travel. Why Q don't stock such useful items beats me.

It's a short-term failure of a strategy, because it won't take long for everyone to realise the truth. I know a lot of you disagree but I have the strong feeling that Gatineau aren't doing as well as they used to. I have bought the melatogenine before and I do like it, but there are others more reasonably priced that are just as good. And it was always, well if you have the moisturiser you really need the serum, eye cream, focus pen, mask, gommage etc. etc. to see a difference.

I cannot believe that a few years ago I paid £48 every 3 months for an auto-delivery of gatineau and they were all little sizes, that is one of my QVC slap-my-forehead in regret moments!

I agree speckledhen, a few months ago I was looking for a new skincare routine as my dermalogica didn't seem to be working for me anymore. I watched loads of gatineau presentations as I really wanted to try it but I was so bamboozled by science and the ranges and the sheer amount of products (not to mention the cost) that I decided not to bother and I took the plunge with Liz Earle instead coz it was so simple and I am hooked!! I think there is a distinct smell of desparation about it now and I am really pleased I didn't get sucked in by all the talk.
A

Hi,

as it happens, Secret Sales have a lot of Gatineau reduced at the moment, and they have a big Radley sale starting tomorrow.

So yes, I think both brands are dumping to more than one place!

Cheers,
Karen

I agree speckledhen, a few months ago I was looking for a new skincare routine as my dermalogica didn't seem to be working for me anymore. I watched loads of gatineau presentations as I really wanted to try it but I was so bamboozled by science and the ranges and the sheer amount of products (not to mention the cost) that I decided not to bother and I took the plunge with Liz Earle instead coz it was so simple and I am hooked!! I think there is a distinct smell of desparation about it now and I am really pleased I didn't get sucked in by all the talk.
A

I'm with you Beakerange I have spent £££££££'s on these 'premium' skincare ranges & to be honest have loved at the time.BUT with the expense on serums, creams etc. etc I thought as coming up to 65 can they really do so much for me? So returned to Liz Earle ( despite I don't like the affinity with Avon) it is uncomplicated.Love C&P & IBST then use the Superskin oil & cream at night.Product prices have increased a lot But I don't need loads of products & feel I have to keep up with the 'Latest' technologies.I order from the LE website or off shelf from my local JL.

There is a gatineau TSV at the end of June so doubtless the new wonder moisturiser will be in it.

Saw a couple of tatty-looking Gatineau products in TKMaxx this morning in Worthing, hand cream and tan accelerator mainly.

Jude xx

Latest posts

Back