Easiyo help !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

goldie

Registered Shopper
Hi

I have recently bought the easiyo starter kit as it always looks so delicious on the tv. I tried to make the strawberry the other week it came out ok nothing as thick as shown on tv and it was lumpy.

Last night I tried again and made the greek. I left the tap water out for a few hours before I used it, filled up to the top of the red disc in the yogurt maker with boiling hot water , left it to for 14 hours with towel wrapped round it like seen on suggestions. Well I have just took it out the fridge where it has sat for 6 hours .... its looks terrible, lumpy even curdled?? taste so sour also....

Can anybody help tell me where I am going wrong?

Use less water than recommended, shake really well or even whisk and make sure no powder is stuck around the base of the container (using a knickerbockerglory spoon is ideal for this). I haven't bothered with the room temp water phaff. Greek is quite sour by the way. When set it will have a pool of water on the top, just drain off. Mine has never appeared like Q's but has been edible. Maybe they do two sachets per water measure to get it to stand the way it does, allegedly.

Redhead, I had a similar problem at the beginning, the yogurt too thin and tasted a bit sharp. With a few tips from forum members and T-callers it's now thick and lucious. As tap water seems to vary around the country I wonder if this affects the results and you have to find what works for you. I've not experienced it lumpy - do you add the powder to half of the water to start with? I put the powder in first a couple of times and it didn't mix as well. Anyway this is my routine:

I warm the flask with hot water while I'm mixing the yoghurt

I add some boiling water to the mixing water - but only enough to make it barely tepid

When the mix is ready I replace the water in the flask with freshly boiled

I leave the yoghurt for 9 hours - I find any longer sharpens the taste

When it's cooled I leave in the fridge till the next day

This works for me, although it's not as thick as it appears on the shows, it's pretty close - worth a try?

i had a kit with 4 strawberry youghurts included. made all 4 and just dont like it. too sweet and artificial tasting. nver set thick either. i just love shop bought organic stuff too much.

I'm wondering whether there is a difference in some people's water, (I live in soft water Derbyshire) because I have never had a problem with my EasiYo (and I've been making it for years). I use tap water (warmed at tad, if it's coming out extremely cold, or if the temperature in the kitchen is very cold). I pour just the one lot of boiled water into the flask. Fill it to the top of the baffle, and just a little bit beyond on a cold day. I shake it really thoroughly when it's half full and again when all the water is in. I put it in the flask and leave it overnight or all day. Then leave it in the fridge until set (a couple of hours is usually enough). I've yet not to have perfectly thick and creamy yoghurt. Some flavours do have slightly different textures. The toffee, caramel and banana ones tend towards being a bit 'stretchy' and the fruit flavour are smoother and quite thick. If I want a more 'ski' type swiss yoghurt, I stir it up after it has cooled. I don't think I have a magic formula but, since everything seems to work just fine, I must be doing something right!

how irritating was Catherine on air the other day, she wolfed and wolfed the EasiYo down throughout the whole hour, but did "mummm", ooooohhh" mummmmmmnnn" noises and facial expressions throughout. I don't know which made me feel more sick, her ecstasy noises or the great piles of Easiyo itself.

And does Catherine never listen to hearself, she said "oh at the weekend I bought some meringue nests, fruits and some probiotic yoggy to pour over but oh how did I need Easiyo as the other was too runny so looked horrible". Then within what 10 mins she was bragging about loving Easiyo so much she now has two Easiyo containers at home and how she has loads of sachets to chose between so its always on the go. Does she not listen to herself?

The longer you leave it in the maker the more sharp it will taste. I only leave mine in for 6 hours, 8 at the most.

In Catherine's defence, a recent flood in her rented house meant she had to move into a hotel for the foreseeable future - possibly months. So perhaps she had to buy the shop-bought yoghurt because of her temporary homelessness?

I'm wondering whether there is a difference in some people's water, (I live in soft water Derbyshire) because I have never had a problem with my EasiYo (and I've been making it for years). I use tap water (warmed at tad, if it's coming out extremely cold, or if the temperature in the kitchen is very cold). I pour just the one lot of boiled water into the flask. Fill it to the top of the baffle, and just a little bit beyond on a cold day. I shake it really thoroughly when it's half full and again when all the water is in. I put it in the flask and leave it overnight or all day. Then leave it in the fridge until set (a couple of hours is usually enough). I've yet not to have perfectly thick and creamy yoghurt. Some flavours do have slightly different textures. The toffee, caramel and banana ones tend towards being a bit 'stretchy' and the fruit flavour are smoother and quite thick. If I want a more 'ski' type swiss yoghurt, I stir it up after it has cooled. I don't think I have a magic formula but, since everything seems to work just fine, I must be doing something right!

Ditto - to all the above (except the Derbyshire bit - substitute Herefordshire). I just couldn't be arsed to type it all....

In Catherine's defence, a recent flood in her rented house meant she had to move into a hotel for the foreseeable future - possibly months. So perhaps she had to buy the shop-bought yoghurt because of her temporary homelessness?

Oh I didn't hear that bit, what a bummer for her! :eek:(

I don't think she's spoken about it on-air, but she mentioned it a bit on Twitter. A very nasty mess, I believe. The downstairs of the house completely unusable for months on end. I know there are worse things, but it must be an utter nightmare.

Check the date on the sachets. It goes off. And I've had old stock from Q before.

I bought a lot of sachets before I discovered I didn't need to.

The one I've just used was bought in August 2006 with a use by date of October 2007, but it still worked OK (and I am now on batch 5 from this sachet).

Hi

Thanks everybody for the tips !! I will leave it in the maker less time next batch and whisk it. You should have seen the state of the last one, came out like cottage cheese!! I am just determined to get it right as the whole family would enjoy it if it worked out... :)

Hi

Thanks everybody for the tips !! I will leave it in the maker less time next batch and whisk it. You should have seen the state of the last one, came out like cottage cheese!! I am just determined to get it right as the whole family would enjoy it if it worked out... :)

My last one came out like cottage cheese, but as it was about the 950th from the same sachet I was not too annoyed (although I wanted to reach 1000). There is a post about this somewhere.

However, I am glad and SURPRISED that this happened with a new sachet, I thought it happened to me because I had made so much from my original sachet.

I followed strato's tips from the other thread about making the yogurt without the packet and it came out fine, so thanks for that, Strato.

I read a post somewhere (not sure if it was here) where a woman noticed that if she washed her pots by hand she got unreliable runny results whereas in the dishwasher there was no problem. She concluded that she must have had a rogue microbe getting in there and messing it up because hand washing wasn't so thorough. Her solution was to scald the tub with boiling water to get it clean before use. I do that whether my tub has been in the dishwasher or not, just to make sure.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back