Gati-no, no, no!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tinkerbelle

Registered Shopper
The try me in the morning show has the new Melatogenine cream in and the Gatineau girlie has just said "if you've been wanting to try the cream but it is out of your price range this is the perfect time to try it".

Is it? Why bother to try something you bliddy well know you can't afford? Oh yes because the Gatineau plan is that you'll decide you can't live without it and stump up money you cannot afford. Well don't! If it's too expensive before you've tried a sample size, it's too bliddy expensive full stop.

Other brands and QVC presenters and guests are all guilty of this sales techniques.

The try me in the morning show has the new Melatogenine cream in and the Gatineau girlie has just said "if you've been wanting to try the cream but it is out of your price range this is the perfect time to try it".

Is it? Why bother to try something you bliddy well know you can't afford? Oh yes because the Gatineau plan is that you'll decide you can't live without it and stump up money you cannot afford. Well don't! If it's too expensive before you've tried a sample size, it's too bliddy expensive full stop.

Other brands and QVC presenters and guests are all guilty of this sales techniques.

Whoeheartedly agree with this, when are Gatineau going to realise that there is a recession on and we are not going to buy high priced potions when we can get ones just as good for a fraction of the price. If I could I probably would make gatineau my moisturiser of choice but not at that price, and not with all the bits and pieces they want me to buy with it, to get the full benefit of the cream.

Their selling techniques are very "un-subtle" to the point of being clumsy and laughable. What bothers me is that some people will be quite vulnerable to the clap-trap. But then I suppose QVC's job is to shift stuff to anyone watching. Caveat Emptor and all that jazz.

yep - which is precisely why I wouldn't dream of "trying" the Perricone stuff - if I liked it I wouldn't be spending my pension on stocking up on full sizes! My money's still going to Asda and the nSpa range which I'm liking just fine thank u very much QVC!

BUT:
and here is a big BUT:
if you did try it you might just realize that it is actually like any other cream, and so not worth the money, especially Perricone.
Caveat Empor indeed!!!!
Your skin needs moisture, anything else is a sales technique

Thinking this thread may help me decide whether to buy the Emma Hardie TSV next week. I love and use her moringa balm, AMPM cream and Eye cream. I want to try the very pricey night cream and have some QVC credit that I've been saving. I don't use or want the lighter lotion which seems to be in the TSV in a full size. Should I get the TSV and stockpile the Moringa to enable me to try the night cream. I have plenty of the Moringa so really dont need another right now. I could either ebay or gift the lighter lotion. This would be a cheaper way of trying the night cream which I really want to try but the full size is 56 quid, using my credit that would be down to £46 and I have the MBG if it does not suit. I will get one or the other and the price is bound to be in the sane ball park for both. I am usually so decisive but as I have this thing about only buying stuff I actually use I want value for money and to make the right choice. Can you help? SCW has posted what is likely to be in the TSV. Advice much appreciated.

It's difficult but for me the answer has to be based on "could I honestly afford to buy that cream at full price" and if the answer is no then there's your answer really. I choose to use Elemis PCMC so I'm guilty of spending money on expensive face creams but I can honestly answer that question yes. I always look for the best possible cost saving on PCMC. I tend to buy it in the 100ml size and don't bother with kits including stuff I don't want or need. I treat myself to skincare but don't go bonkers with other things. And I don't drink or smoke so I'm allowed my luxury skincare in my book. But if my circumstances changed and I couldn't afford it then I wouldn't break the bank to do so.

I am lucky to have the spate cash to buy a luxury face cream but it makes me spit when I hear that kind of sales patter. No one should be talked into buying something they can't afford. In the hope that once they've tried it it will become a must have so suddenly they're scrimping and saving so they can afford it.

But as I've said Gatineau aren't the only offender here. Others are equally guilty.

Thanks Tinkerbelle, yes, I can afford it full price and have repeat purchased the other items I mentioned in their full sizes. But I did the "try me" set first, loved it so now its my brand of choice. I just thought that I should try the night cream before buying the full size, even though I can afford I still expect vslue for money and to use every scrap. I am truly stumped on this one.

Think I might have come across to harsh there, sorry. I mean that you should use what you like and the whole thing is trying to find something that will suit your skin. If you like high end, and can afford it, use it without guilt, but you do not have to use the high end products, as our skin requirements are actually very simple, and we are sort of brainwashed by the beauty industry into thinking we need to spend more then we actually do.
If you like it, enjoy

NewGirl here. Felt compelled to throw in my 'two pennies worth' having read this thread and also Moths re product dumping. The appalling shamelessness of the presenters is just staggering. I probably have about a years worth of face creams and serums but that is not the only reason I will not be tempted to buy Gatineau ever again. I too remember Andrew's assertions (bare faced lies?) that they were not on a drive to sell off 'melato' stocks because they had a new one in the offing. Surely they must squirm in their seats now introducing they new advanced cream? Also a probiotic ingredient doesn't sound like something I want to slap on my face. But also a stated here there selling techniques are designed to turn the screws on the thumbs of the vulnerable shopper and really annoy me.

(mum writes)

Not sure if my 2p worth will help but I love Emma Hardie's products. (Name drop time - I've met her and knew her before she really hit the "big time" on QVC. She's a lovely person!) I'm on a limited budget, having been retired with ill health, so I consider carefully when purchasing but do try to get products I like when they're within reach. I tried the night cream, which was on easy pay at the time but the major problem I had with it is that it rolls off my skin. She does explain that it does roll off and you can buff it off with a dry cloth and add more afterwards, but I am unable to do this because of my poor health - my arms don't have the strength in them for the massaging it needs and it doesn't stay on if you just leave it alone, especially if it's on top of the serum, of which I was lucky to get some freebies! Come the evening, I don't want the faff and just want something quick and easy so I can get to bed!

Disappointed that it looks though it'll be the light cream in the TSV as I don't feel that is right for my skin.

On a lighter note, I tend to buy more now from Mypure as they only sell natural and organic products. Shop around their prices are very reasonable and free P&P - I've bought 250ml bottles of Bentley Organics tea tree body wash for under £4! I swear by tea tree but the ABC stuff QVC sell is now far too expenive (with P&P) and the Bentley product contains the same melaleuca alternifolia as ABC. You can get high end products a lot cheaper from Ebay too. They're only so expensive on QVC because of their huge mark-up. Elemis PCMC is always on ebay somewhere for far less than QVC ask. I bought the pro-Radiance cream cleanser for half the QVC price.

If you want to try it, don't forget you can send it back if you don't like, provided you didn't use more than half, and made your purchase on the 13th of a month under a full moon and are prepared to get The Letter of Doom ;)

Another PCMC and the night cream user. Love both and admit I hit ebay usually if I just need either. In the old days I used to buy every TSV. Now I think, do I like this product,will I use it? If only two items I really want then its a no and off to ebay.

I too was a 'buy every TSV' person and now have to be more choosey, fall off the wagon regularly but am on a steep learning curve.

(mum writes)

Not sure if my 2p worth will help but I love Emma Hardie's products. (Name drop time - I've met her and knew her before she really hit the "big time" on QVC. She's a lovely person!) I'm on a limited budget, having been retired with ill health, so I consider carefully when purchasing but do try to get products I like when they're within reach. I tried the night cream, which was on easy pay at the time but the major problem I had with it is that it rolls off my skin. She does explain that it does roll off and you can buff it off with a dry cloth and add more afterwards, but I am unable to do this because of my poor health - my arms don't have the strength in them for the massaging it needs and it doesn't stay on if you just leave it alone, especially if it's on top of the serum, of which I was lucky to get some freebies! Come the evening, I don't want the faff and just want something quick and easy so I can get to bed!

Disappointed that it looks though it'll be the light cream in the TSV as I don't feel that is right for my skin.

On a lighter note, I tend to buy more now from Mypure as they only sell natural and organic products. Shop around their prices are very reasonable and free P&P - I've bought 250ml bottles of Bentley Organics tea tree body wash for under £4! I swear by tea tree but the ABC stuff QVC sell is now far too expenive (with P&P) and the Bentley product contains the same melaleuca alternifolia as ABC. You can get high end products a lot cheaper from Ebay too. They're only so expensive on QVC because of their huge mark-up. Elemis PCMC is always on ebay somewhere for far less than QVC ask. I bought the pro-Radiance cream cleanser for half the QVC price.

If you want to try it, don't forget you can send it back if you don't like, provided you didn't use more than half, and made your purchase on the 13th of a month under a full moon and are prepared to get The Letter of Doom ;)

THANK YOU Moth's mum! I had no idea it "rolls off" not sure I like the sound of that! Think it will be the TSV after all, and then I can try it, and as MY lovely mum likes much lighter weight creams I think I will give the lighter lotion to her and keep the rest.

It's all a load of claptrap in my opinion and I just wish people could see they are being conned. None of these products do any more for skin,looks and ageing than the cheap off the shelf skin care products sold in most supermarkets. Women with really problem skin would be better off asking a doctor or pharmacist for advice before spending a fortune on these products.

It's all a load of claptrap in my opinion and I just wish people could see they are being conned. None of these products do any more for skin,looks and ageing than the cheap off the shelf skin care products sold in most supermarkets. Women with really problem skin would be better off asking a doctor or pharmacist for advice before spending a fortune on these products.

I do sort of agree with you. Well I do agree BUT the trouble is very few of us moisturise from an early age and do so consistently. That's the real key to having the best skin you possibly can have at any point in your life. I agree with seeking proper medical advice if you have problem skin. But these super creams at aimed at those who haven't been lucky with the genes or who haven't smacked on the moisturiser religiously.

Once I hit my 40s I knew I was on a slippery slope. We all are and I do believe thar I need a face cream that has supposed anti ageing properties. I agree it doesn't need to be pricy though. I'm no longer able to get away with using "any old cream" and still keep my skin looking youthful. Or perhaps I'm as sucked in to the hype as everyone else.

But I am a few weeks away from 50 (feck!!) and I have very few lines and wrinkles. I'd like to keep it that way for as long as I can and I'm gambling on PCMC. My honest second choice though would be Oil of Olay but not the anti ageing one because it smells bliddy awful.

I don't go for the high tech claims of any brand, but if I were to go for cheap supermarket brands my skin would erupt like mount Etna! I know, I've tried them all. I like being pampered with stuff that's a pleasure to use though, and If you have ever had problem skin you would pay for premium if it suits your skin and seems to be the only thing that does. If the alternative is discomfort, use what suits you.

I think that's the key - if you enjoy using whatever regime you're using, and it doesn't upset your skin, then go with it. My skin can be quite sensitive but I find that it's the anti-ageing products that seem to upset it so I have to stick to the ordinary stuff and I do like to have a chop & change as imo your skin "gets used to" one product and benefits from a change like your hair does from a change of shampoo, but tho I've tried Decleor & Gatineau and the like in the past I'm happy to stick to the lower end brands - they suit my purse better and my skin just as well!

Ah, back in the day I used to slap whatever on my face, mixed and matched no problems. Then my thyroid went overactive and I developed rosacea, suddenly it was red rash or acne like spots. The brand that does not annoy is Elemis, hence I stick to it. Now I have ventured into Boots Time Delay which was on half price. My beloved neck cream from Marks and Spencer at £12 and better than Gatineau's wonder neck gel, it seems is being repackaged so have to wait for new stock. So bought the Boots at £6.63 and so far all well.

I have tried a lot of the 'premium' brands and I think the best one is theLiz Earle Skin Repair. I don't use it that often but it does seem to moisturise better than the others.

As we have heard, for a skin product to be truly effectiven at anything other than a barrier cream it would be a prescription drug and not many companies want to pay for the testing that drugs need before coming to market. The others peddle in hope!

That said, we can choose to have brands with fancy pots and advertising etc, natural ingrediants etc. Its a matter of choice.

Latest posts

Back