Make up advice please!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
Gawd I am on leave and really in need of advice on stuff. Tomorrow I am matron of honour for my friends wedding. She (knowing that I am very particular about what make up I use and always want to do my own) has got a professional to do hers and the other bridesmaids but not me! My make up bag is full of brands from Q. The main fave is LG, but I also have the recent Mally TSV and love it, a BE foundation, Smashbox Halo and eyeshadow quad and Bobbi Brown long wear shadow. Thinking I would practice, I did my face mainly in LG yesterday and my mum said it was too shimmery for the photos. So today I have tried the Mally and Smashbox and the Bobbi Brown, with no shimmer at all. The best foundation on my skin though has always been BE, but if I wear this I will have to wear powder blush and my favourite LG pink grapefruit has shimmer. HELP please I don't want to be the ugly bridesmaid. I know this is my second request for assistance today so I will owe you all lots and lots of help and support on here in return.

Here's my advice though I have zero qualifications in applying makeup: Use the BE foundation as you say it is the best one for you. Wear whatever blusher you think is appropriate. Take the LG with you to the wedding so that you can use it later on in the day when most of the photos have been taken. Maybe even wear the LG blusher later on in the day.

Having shimmer in the blush should not be a problem. Its not like the shimmer is all over your face, just brightening and highlighting your cheeks. A pop of colour and shimmer on the cheeks better than full mat look. Long day so go for the BB long wear shadow.

Alternatively, you could still use the BE as foundation but use Laura Geller Bronze and Brighten as a blusher for the photos and then pop the other LG blusher on after the photos have been taken. I would go heavy on the eye make-up and keep the lips fairly neutral because I like that look, and it will show up well on the photos - but maybe thats just me, you could always have a practice.

I think I will have to practice more as I have always done pale eyes in the past but realise I need to emphasise them more for thi pictures. So far I am thinking:
BE foundation
Either LG pink Grapefruit blush or Bobbi Brown powder blush ( this is matte- forgot I had it!) maybe I will double blush and go really easy on the LG. don't want to overdo it and end up looking like a clown
Bobbi Brown long wear shadow in "Cement" or "shore", with Mally brown stick from the TSV in the crease.
LG Berry Banana Lippy (love this shade!)
LG mascara(i know it doesn't come off but I don't want it to run if it rains or if I cry!)
Now about the eyeliner. As a minimalist eyemake up wearer I must confess to only recently wearing it so I only have 2- Bobbi Brown long wear gel which os tricky to apply or the Mally TSV which is easy. Thinking it will be the Mally

No one said to wear the Halo, thought you might do. But you have been a really big help and I am feeling less nervous now. This is what happens to you when you get stuck in a rut with the same old stuff for work every day. Its a fair while since my own wedding day, I did my own and think it was Chanel foundation (vitalumiere I think it was), Bobbi Brown or Estee Lauder Tea Rose lippy and Smashbox eyes. But that was a long time ago and the make up is long gone, as, it seems has my confidence. Get a grip, woman!

Which colours are in the smashbox quad and what colour hair/eyes do you have? I wouldn't wear the halo because it can look a bit ghost-like on close-up photos.

Well I have sandy blond hair (shade 8.03 in Garnier Nutrisse "natural blonde!-lol) and Bluey Grey eyes. With deep dark lids (hence I always lighten them). I have naturally long lashes luckily for me and my eyes are big. I know I may seem lucky but its very hard for me to get eyemake up right. I wear light in BE. I was once told that I look like a blonde Carol Vorderman!

The smashbox quad is "on stage" it was in their last TSV. It has a slate grey, a creamy ivory, a purply/brandy ish brown and a Taupe.

OK, well I would get your foundation on, then put the creamy ivory over the socket area, put your mally eyeliner on under the bottom eyelashes but only half way along the top eyelashes and blend a little with your finger or cotton bud before it sets - next use the slate grey eyeshadow on your eyeshadow blender brush and brush it back and forth in the socket crease-line and blend up and out a little. also put a little slate grey on the ouside corners of yr eyes in a little v and also under the eye over the mally eyeliner. Use your kabuki or a powder brush to swipe under your eye upwards, to make it wing up a little and at the same time it will leave a clean finish to under the eye.
If it looks a bit too heavy remember to use the back of your hand as a palette to control the amount of eyeshadow you apply. Also you can take a clean wide eyeshadow brush and blend the grey out a litlle.
Lashings of mascara, bit of blusher and lipgloss or neutralish lip-stick.

have a go & let us know...

Wow, thanks Speckledhen... are you a trained make up artist or something, you really sound like you know your onions!

Off upstairs to do my roots...my last post reminded me! OMG how I have let myself go!! When I'm done with that I will have a go with those colours.

THANKS!!! Great being on leave so I can actually do this.

What colours will the others have? Would it not be easier to just let the professional do you for the day? That way you can relax and just enjoy instead of stressing yourself out..

Hair cooking now! I don't think we would look good in the same colours as we are all so different, but I could never trust another person to do my make up. I'm just out of my comfort zone with eyeliner and the photos, shimmer etc.

Although she was right about not liking someone else messing with my face, the bride did not actually ask if I wanted it done with the others, I found out yesterday so only just given it any thought or worry! I will have a play around and if all else fails I will play it safe and go with what I know...neutral!

If I were you then I would go with what you are comfortable with and that takes all the stress out of it. Hope you have a great day.

Take a deep breath ... I think you are lucky to be doing your own make-up, you will look like you! Just because someone is a professional, doesn't mean they will do a good job. I would say light neutral make-up what you would normally wear; blend with brushes; bring your make-up and brushes; smile, relax and enjoy the day. And when you do touch-ups, blend well. And trust your friends to tell you if your make-up is skewy. The bride loves you, not your eyeliner or lack of. As for the pictures, well it's the digital age and things can be cropped/blended/added/highlighted et cetera. AuntySnarly says, "Be yourself." x

Just be careful with the BE foundation, unless they have recently changed the formula the mineral ingredients (I think it is the sunscreen) can reflect the flash from the photographers flashlight and you can looked washed out or ghostly on photographs; that is why some make up artists don't use it for weddings.
And have a lovely time!

I use the blush from the last Mally tsv over balance and brighten with no problems so would it be ok over BE too? I think it goes on more like a powder than a cream.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Wow, thanks Speckledhen... are you a trained make up artist or something, you really sound like you know your onions!

Off upstairs to do my roots...my last post reminded me! OMG how I have let myself go!! When I'm done with that I will have a go with those colours.

THANKS!!! Great being on leave so I can actually do this.

I left what I have originally trained to do as a career and opened my own beauty business (after training) and I used to do a lot of weddings on a Saturday, with my little box of tricks. I did make-up and nails on the day and loved it. Thats probably why I go mad when they have the beauty days on QVC.

When you are having a practice you don't have to use the colours I have suggested, if you want to go lighter use the colours you usually wear because you can always layer the colour on for extra definition.

Another tip I would give you is to look on youtube, put 'my makeup routine' in or something similar and you can watch the clips of how people do their routine and it might give you some ideas.

I use the Laura Geller foundation and don't find it shiney, do you have any?

just practice with the eyeliner. I love eyeliner, and I think as you get older its essential, although I never put it on the bottom. I have one of the slightly bend brushes from smashbox, but found it does not make that much of a difference quite frankly. The eyeliners from Bobbi Brown are actually better then the Mally one, last longer on me, and do not smudge at all.

Oh just to add I have the smashbox quad too and in my big make up collection I think that would be something I would reach for because it is neutral but has enough pigment to define and not be wishy washy. I think the blusher it came with is nice and soft too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Wow great help everyone. I have a LG B&B which I use every day along with the Bronze N Brighten. I was going to wear the BE foundation which I keep for best tomorrow but not so sure now I have had the heads up on here that perhaps not so good for weddings. I like the Mally one too, its the only liquid foundation I have. Was going to carry my Bobbi Brown Stick foundation for touch ups. Yes, I know I sound like the foundation queen but the way I wear it you can't see any on the skin.

The grey shadow looked fab Speckledhen but it was sooooo different for me to have almost a smokey eye so I may play it safe with the Taupe.

A huge thanks to you all, sime great tips.

Latest posts

Back