Why no black ladies on QVC?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'mAlisonYoungliterally!

Registered Shopper
I can't in the history of QVC remember any black female presenters on QVC. I realise that you've got Julian, Craig and Glen for the guys, but why aren't there any female black hosts?

I can't in the history of QVC remember any black female presenters on QVC. I realise that you've got Julian, Craig and Glen for the guys, but why aren't there any female black hosts?

Pretty well answered your own question there :cheeky:

Jude xx

I don't go for the quotas stuff myself; I'd prefer all employers simply employed people on merit. Perhaps there will be a black woman presenter at some point. QVC are clearly not racist or sexist as women and black people are, if anything, over-represented at present among the presenting team (taken as a percentage of the UK population). They are also clearly not numptyphobic, either, as we have Charlie, Carmel, Ann etc. to prove that. What was that I said about employing on merit? Scratch that....

I remember a very stylish woman who was demonstrating plastic boxes for shoes. The props were her own, she said, and I recall thinking they were gorgeous. Maybe a year or so ago?

There was a woman called Jamoke who was hopeless and there was a woman called Sunita Shroff who was part Indian and while successful on other tv genres totally bombed on QVC.
Don't care who or what anyone is as long as they're at least competent or better yet proficient at what they do.

There was a woman called Jamoke who was hopeless and there was a woman called Sunita Shroff who was part Indian and while successful on other tv genres totally bombed on QVC.
Don't care who or what anyone is as long as they're at least competent or better yet proficient at what they do.

Sunita Shroff. Oh how we laughed!

Ooooooh dare we say 'black' anymore ? read an article recently where the Met Police have banned the word black !

Ooooooh dare we say 'black' anymore ? read an article recently where the Met Police have banned the word black !

I was under the impression this was the preffered term by most black people. When I was in uni many moons ago, I did a project on race. All the people I interviewed felt patronised by the term 'coloured' and felt it was non-descript. They said they were black like we were white, so why try and shy away from it? Things may have changed, but I will always say black or white as that's what it is!! But then I absolutely hate anything p.c.... :what:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The black people I work with say that black is not offensive so strange the police would say that, how would you refer to them? Coloured is offensive they say, I am often referred to as white at work (not in a derogatory way just if someone is looking for me and someone will say thats the white girl there) and it doesn't offend me in the slightest so strange why someone would be offended to be called black.

there was a black lady presenter years ago a few years after qvc was on air. very smart/presentable etc but she was more like a newsreader than a sales person.

And here, on the morning show, we have a lovely black lady representing Links of London!! That 'bracelet' is hideous though :grin:

The black people I work with say that black is not offensive so strange the police would say that, how would you refer to them? Coloured is offensive they say, I am often referred to as white at work (not in a derogatory way just if someone is looking for me and someone will say thats the white girl there) and it doesn't offend me in the slightest so strange why someone would be offended to be called black.
Of course, it depends how someone are called 'black' and in what circumstances …
I don't think any of us can imagine the offensiveness and prejudice some people can be faced with just because of the colour of their skin. But I can see absolutely why the term 'coloured' is considered offensive. As a 'label' it has so many connotations with a time when people who were not white were treated as second-class citizens. It was used to mean 'not white' and, granted most people in Britain are white, but it makes little sense to lump together every race and culture that is not 'white'.
Having been educated at a very multicultural school, our 'gang' were quite comfortable with and knowledgeable about, each other's cultures and race and attitudes to race was something we rarely discussed. But we did, I hope, work out what was okay, and what was offensive, or at least inappropriate.
It does stand to reason, that anyone in a minority in a group will likely be described by the very thing that makes them stand out. The 'red-haired girl', the 'big lad', your 'white girl', someone else's 'black man' as it serves as a short-hand way to point someone out. It would be nice if we all saw something else about a person first, but the fact is we don't and out first instinct is to use physical appearance to define people. Hence someone's red hair, or chubby figure being used to describe them. And that's perfectly fine.
However, if someone is insulting someone and within that insult uses the term 'black' or 'white' for that matter, then the person's race might well be relevant and so it becomes a grey area, which is presumably why the police frown upon it. And let's be honest about it, there are people out there who used words like that in an extremely offensive manner. If someone takes the time to describe someone as 'african-caribbean', rather than 'black', it shows more respect and so is less open to abuse.

However, if someone is insulting someone and within that insult uses the term 'black' or 'white' for that matter, then the person's race might well be relevant and so it becomes a grey area, which is presumably why the police frown upon it. And let's be honest about it, there are people out there who used words like that in an extremely offensive manner. If someone takes the time to describe someone as 'african-caribbean', rather than 'black', it shows more respect and so is less open to abuse.

Agreed, it's mainly about showing people respect. The actual "in" terms come and go. African-Caribbean is relatively recent (it was always Afro-Caribbean in my teens). Coloured is now deemed offensive but was positively kind and considerate in relation to other terms in common use in the 1970s. Language constantly changes as do the politics surrounding it. We can't always keep up with this week's latest politically correct theory - and will sometimes get our terms "wrong" according to the professional EqualOps junkies (who often represent no-one but themselves) -but we can treat everyone we know with equal respect and consider their feelings. The PC brigade started out laudably with a passion for justice but I can't help feeling the professional parasitic class that emerged has actually caused more resentments than they've cured.

Overall, it is about treating everyone with respect. If that person finds something offensive and we aren't intending to offend them, then it's up to us to adjust. Just as someone should not be overtly offended if someone uses an 'out-of-date' term (so long as it isn't used aggressively), then the rest of us should not object to amending our vocabulary if it is pointed out to us. It's all about respecting each other, after all. Far better than we are all happy to discuss it in a grown-up manner, than we get all annoyed about it.

Ideal World have got Jackie now but conversely no black blokes, the men on IW seem to be all very stereotyped, Sean, Nigel, Martyn, Howard..they all get emails for each other and joke about it.

@capirossi If that bracelet is the TeamGB one on the Q website, in my opinion, it is p-u-k-e-y. Full stop, period, end-of.

Latest posts

Back