Do Gems actually want customers, or not?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
I saw a Glenn Lehrer ring which I was interested in purchasing, but by the time I got online it was only available in a size 5, so I didn't put it in my basket. Subsequently, I saw that it was available online in my size (7), so I contacted Gems to ask whether I could purchase it at the on-air price. For some reason, however, they are only willing to sell it to me for some vastly inflated price, approximately double the price I know it should be.

Will I pay that price? No, of course not. Will I watch Gems TV avidly for the next month in case it comes on air at the right price again? No - I have other things to do. Have they lost a potential sale? Yes.

I don't normally post negative stuff, as I'd rather be positive about things. But this is disappointing, as Gems really did seem to be getting their act together. Who wants to purchase from a company that does all it can to give the impression that they're doing you a special favour by selling to you?

That's so disappointing Miss M. My last ring was bought from the website but having seen it previously in a live auction, I knew how much I wanted to pay. And after a little bit of negotiation I did buy it at that last price, but having a helpful CS person makes all the difference. If you are still interested in the GL ring, I would recommend trying again and perhaps speaking to a Manager?

But Gems do seem to make it awkward to buy..on Sunday the Lehrer collection was on the website and now there's no trace of it....as if it never existed! Only the very expensive pieces in the Couture collection can be seen. Barmy!

Hi Miss M,
really pleased to see this thread,for a while now I have trawled the web site and if I fancied something I would ring and ask if they could sell it at the price it aired at,very helpful friendly responses .........until last request.
A pair of petalite earrings,had aired at £19 priced at around £40 on the web site,the rather hesitant operator said he would have to consult then came back and told me they could do it this time but would mark on my account not to let me do it again.
Well,what a foolish attitude,I have spent a lot of money with them and felt I was being treated like a naughty child.
I'm sure they negotiate hard for all their gemstones and materials.
Subsequently I bought a rutile ring from Rocks&co through the shopper,she went to look at it in the warehouse and happily agreed to sell it at the price last aired.
I really think Gems need to sort out their web site prices and strategy as this bunny will be really loathe to have to beg for a few quid off.

Yes, Rocks and Co ar always happy sell at the last on-air price.

I suppose Gems' thinking is that you have to keep watching in order to get the best prices, and if you keep watching perhaps you will spot something else that takes your eye and buy more stuff; this may work sometimes for some people, but on the other side there are going to be those who are just put off and think 'I can't be bothered anymore', and then they lose sales.

I sometimes by from the German equivalent of Rocks & Co, Juwelo TV; their policy is to let you have it for the last on-air price plus 10%. I can see the sense of that; but the Gems web prices are generally at least double the on-air prices, and nobody in their right senses is going to pay that!

I bet they sell them on the website for considerably more so they can then say during an auction "we have previously sold it for x but we are going to slash that price' ;-)

PJ

I don't like it at all. It lets the company down, showing a willingness to rip off the passing customer who knows no better and I think you have a good point there PJ. I had in the past (don't watch any more) noticed that they would from time to time not drop a price, and I assumed they did that for the same reason. Not nice tactics for a company that keeps banging on about "family". xxxxxxx

I also seen a ring on the web at £179 but had not seen it on an auction so I rang and asked what the last price it was sold at in auction was and was told it went for £199 of course I did'nt buy it then ... but a few weeks later I did see it in a live auction and it went for £157 so decided I would buy it at that price because I liked it so much ... when it arrived by my lovely DPD man it was so light weight and the diamonds so minute I sent it back it obviously was'nt meant to be mine.what happened to the lowest price pledge is that still available does anyone know or is it this hour thing dont watch much these days as it seems to be Adina on every time I think I might see whats on sorry cant stand her so I swiftly move on.

In the old Rocks days I used to have a £100+ order every week...I hardly buy anything now because although I see quite a few things on the website I would like I rarely see anything aired I want to buy.

Hardly any charm shows or new charms.

Rings, rings & more rings...if they stocked larger sizes I'd buy.

The same things aired over & over...the pink tormaline & set of 5 chip necklaces to name two.

Latest posts

Back