Did anyone see the "sweetener" demo?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I meant to post this earlier 'cos I saw this last week, and thought it seemed funny that a shopping channel was there flogging artificial sweetener. It was that new Stevia stuff that's everywhere right now and at £15.90 for two tubs, my first thoughts were "f**k off!" (sorry folks) However, the tubs were 300g each and with the special jubilee p&p of just 60p they'd work out at £8.20 per tub. Yep, that still sounds ridiculous until you see the price of Stevia in the dreaded supermarket. The price I saw there was £3.29 for a 75g drum so to get the same amount you'd be spending over £26...so we'll let them off shall we?.... I was going to until the silly bint guest showed us a "yummy cake" she'd whipped up for us using it instead of sugar, thus saving us 800 calories! Sounds great...but let's think about it. The average victoria sponge uses about 200g of sugar, and then you've got the sugar to go in the buttercream to go in the middle. This sweetener, you use in exactly the same way as would sugar ie spoon for spoon it's the same....so you've used 300g of the stuff for your cake.
So your cake's already cost you £8.20 that's before you've put in any of the other ingredients...I don't think so!

She also forgot to mention that unlike sugar, Stevia can produce a laxative effective if you have too much of it, and as many of us know you've only got to eat a small amount of those sugar free "cool mints" you can buy and your stomach starts to swell like a balloon and you're in quite a bit of discomfort, and it's not so great for those around you when it starts working it's way out into the atmosphere! phew...weee! Imagine eating a whole packet you'd be off work for a couple of weeks! So yay let's make a laxative cake, take it into work and make sure your boss gets the biggest slice!

Yeah, I know these shopping channels have to find more than the obvious to say about these products as they've got an hour to pad, but is it me or is the stuff just getting more and more mundane? What next? Teabags?! No, I think that's already been done!

I tried stevia a while ago and was disappointed. It didn't taste sweet to me at all. I'll stick with candarel.

I don't use any sweetners the same way as sugar for baking. There is a table to convert on most of them. If I was to ladle it in like that it would be far too sweet. I am hoping the person demoing (is that even a word) made a mistake as this would be a very expensive alternative to sugar.

Latest posts

Back