Strange phone call?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ryan91

Registered Shopper
My Mum received a strange phone call from bid today, and was basically offering her to join some savings club, and was offered a welcome pack that would cost £2 to deliver, then after that there would be a monthly fee where she'd save money on shops like ASDA and stuff, and mentioned something about getting up to £200 savings somehow.

What is this, does anyone know?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=581318

Plus from digital spy forum

"Bid TV/Price drop TV marketing scam
My wife recently bought an item from price drop TV and while paying was asked if she would be willing to receive info from other companies. Somewhat reluctantly she agreed. About a week ago we recieved an information pack from a company called 'Rocket marketing group'. It was basically a load of useless shopping discounts of the type you win on free scratchcards al the time. Called the 'Big Savings Club' it offers a 30 day free trial with a annual payment of £99.99 due once the trial expires. I would normally just throw this sort of thing in the bin, but something felt a little off. After some googling I discovered that Price drop TV seem to have no qualms about handing over all your personal information including bank details to these charlatans. If I had just thrown it in the bin our account would have been debited with the £99.99 after the 30 day period. I was able to go online and cancel the subscripiton and thought that would be the end of it.

Today I recieved yet another trial period from the 'Rocket Marketing Group' for their entertainment savings club (more bollocks). This time I tried to yet again cancel the subscription via the website only to be told the trial period has expired. My wife must now cancel her current debit card to stop these charlatans basically stealing money from her account. I find it absolutely appalling that a high profile business such as Price drop considers this acceptable business practice. Bid up TV / Price drop buyers beware! "

I had a phone call last week, I have never ordered from bid or price drop but had an order the week before from Ideal World so it must have been through them. I took me about 10 minutes to get through to them that I didn't want it, will have to keep an eye on my bank account now incase they take any money from it.

Bunch of crooks, the lot of them. Preying on vulnerable people yet again. This really does stink. How low these shopping channels stoop. :wonder:

I had a similar phone call a few weeks ago. They were inisistent that I would be missing out if I declined, but I politely thanked them and told them (for the umpteenth time) that I wasn't interested and I hung up, and I've not had another call like that since. I'm ex-directory so any phone call like that get short shrift because if I want to buy into any scheme (which I don't) I'd ring them and I don't want any more new windows or any more new kitchens either. Funny how there's always an fantastic offer for that sort of thing in my area.

I've since subscribed to the service that filters out 'pressure' calls like that ......... and the silence has been bliss. :grin:

@finsnan, if you're concerned then cancel your credit/debit card you registered with Bid via your bank (just say it's damaged or something). That way they'll never get any money.

My Mum received a strange phone call from bid today, and was basically offering her to join some savings club, and was offered a welcome pack that would cost £2 to deliver, then after that there would be a monthly fee where she'd save money on shops like ASDA and stuff, and mentioned something about getting up to £200 savings somehow.

What is this, does anyone know?

A ****** scam, that's what I'd call it. You'd most definitely end up spending more than you'd ever save, and I guess that's all you need to know. I didn't get a phone call, I was on the phone ordering something can't remember who from tbh ,but one of the channels and the operator seemed quite shocked when I told her I wasn't interested. "Don't you want to make savings?"she said. Yes, I said I'd love to make geniune savings on goods and services that I really want, and to me a genuine saving is not something you have to pay up front for, and 2 for 1 deals in restuarants and hotels with a million ifs and buts doesn't quite tick all the boxes either.....At least at that point she shut up and let me say goodbye!

It's not the first time they've done this one. Bliddy load of shysters. Haven't shopped with them for donkey's years, not in fact since Gerry (McCullough?) left. xxxxxxxxx

@finsnan, if you're concerned then cancel your credit/debit card you registered with Bid via your bank (just say it's damaged or something). That way they'll never get any money.

I have no card registered with Bid. It must have been through Ideal World that they got my phone number from. Will cancel it just incase anything happens, thanks.

My husband has a really effective way of dealing with 'cold callers.'
He just says ' Ullo?' to every question. You know when they go into their speil and you can't get a word in edgeways? He waits for them to finish and in a weak voice he says '.... 'Ullo?' When they realise that they aren't getting anywhere, which doesn't take long, they hang up. We hardly get any at all now.

Funnily enough I tried that yesterday when some scam merchant called me...I just sung Billy don't be a hero...very badly back down the phone at him...He hung up lol! Ok, I guess I could have just hung up..but it made me feel a whole lot better. Thanks Julia! x

Calling merryone

My husband has asked me to thank you for the singing to them suggestion :rock:. He's going to try it next time, with 10001 Green Bottles. He sings in our am. operatic society, he's a tennor. I on the other hand couldn't hold a note in a bucket. He describes my singing voice thus: 'When she honks out a tune it sounds just like someone trying to sexually abuse a goose':grin:

Latest posts

Back