Anybody Know The Name Of This Please??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pinkpussycat

Meeoow....
Help needed from green fingered friends!! I bought this from Waitrose as a pot plant a few years ago and stuck it in a tub in my front garden(?) and it has defied all odds (i.e. not allowed me to kill it) and actually thrived so now I'm thinking of getting some more and wondering it it comes in another colour. Trouble is I can't remember what it's called but I know it's a very common plant so can somebody help me with its name please?? MTIA

DSCN7105.jpg

Is it a Hebe Sue?

I don't know the variety, we've got several in our garden and I think it looks like one lol.

Last edited:
Hi Sue, definitely a Hebe as said above, it looks in very good condition too. We've had some for a number of years which have now become rather large and straggly and need pruning back. They do like a nice sunny position and will probably grow more compact in shape. Got a link here from Wiki as it gives a bit of background and varieties which come in white also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebe_(plant)

Yes, as Anne says "Veronica" They are very easy to grow from cuttings Sue - free plants!! Cut the top 2-3 inches of non-flowering stems just below a leaf joint, trim the lower leaves, dip in rooting compound (I like liquid ones) and put several round the edge of a pot in 50-50 compost and sand (or vermiculite), you'll have new plants in no time. Many hebe cuttings will root simply in a glass of water. Veronica is not that hardy and can succumb in wet or frosty areas, yours will thrive in London though, trim them back in spring.

I love hebes.

Erm, I hesitate to add this, but for anyone not in the know, it's pronounced hee-bees.

I only mention this because a friend of mine asked me where she could get get a plant called Cotton Easter. I scratched my head a bit while she huffed and said she thought I was supposed to 'know a bit about gardening' and Cotton Easter was everywhere and it even grew in Tesco car park so how could I not know ... etc etc.

With my reputation at stake, I asked her to write the name down so I could look it up. She wrote 'cotoneaster'. [pron. Cott-ohn-ee-aster!!!]

:tongue: :tongue::tongue:

PS If you fancy a companion for the variegated hebe, ppc, look out for another which is great for winter colour. It's won many awards, and it's called Hebe 'Red Edge'. It has soft grey-green leaves, with, er ... a red edge.

Last edited:
Many thanks ladies!! :up: I remember it now :blush: and Calvin it's already quite an impressive bush to behold but will never be as monumental as MY BUSH... :wink:

Well yes, ppc, and it's very good for attracting bees and butterflies, too. :happy:

Erm ...

:devil:

I have several of them in my front garden as the chickens don't eat them so I have put in more varieties over the years.
You can get some with small pink flowers which are lovely .
They also do very well in pots if you feed and prune them.
I always give mine a hair cut and then a feed of blood fish and bone around October time. The chickens like to help with the digging waiting to pounce on any worm or bug that might come to the surface.

Saw this thread and I took a picture of this. I want one! The flowers are a lovely raspberry red colour. Anyone know what it is please? Seen it climbing over a wall, not too high but very bushy.

20140522_183017_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back