Mike Mason encouraging piracy

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We should all complain to Offcom. Good spot. They say enough amoral stuff they can get away with, let's get them when they do stuff which is wrong (maybe even a criminal offence to encourage others to commit a crime especially on tv.)

PJ

I am sure you can copy a cd if it is for your own use so your friend would be copying them persumably for himself as long as he isn't playing them at his mobile disco at the Dog and Duck on Saturday.

Personally I don't think that this is a criminal offence as such (based on a technicality I might add), and much greater 'crimes' have been committed on these channels in the form of misdescriptions and downright lying which may have caused viewers to buy products under false pretences.

Towards the end of the auction, he suggested having a friend bring some albums for you to record and copy to your desktop computer. Naughty. :wait:

The items description "The Zennox USB turntable allows you to convert your old LPs to MP3 files so you can play them on an iPod, MP3 player or simply on your home computer."

So if what Mike said was illegal, that must make the product as a whole illegal which I highly doubt. If you've bought an LP and are using the converted files for your own use and not using it to make a profit out of, there is nothing wrong with it.

The items description "The Zennox USB turntable allows you to convert your old LPs to MP3 files so you can play them on an iPod, MP3 player or simply on your home computer."

So if what Mike said was illegal, that must make the product as a whole illegal which I highly doubt. If you've bought an LP and are using the converted files for your own use and not using it to make a profit out of, there is nothing wrong with it.

You're missing the point, Ben. I don't think they're taking exception to the product itself. There's a difference between making a copy of something you've paid for, for your own personal use, and making a copy of something someone else has paid for.

We copy CD's, particularly audio books, so that we can leave them in the car instead of moving them from house to car each time we want to listen to them. I don't think its illegal is it?:sad:
Not for your own use. Indeed it was technically illegal to do so until very recently when the law was changed to allow copying for personal use (a bit like using a video recorder years ago), but to my knowledge nobody was ever prosecuted for doing so. Also the very concept of copying is NOT the same as theft even if it may theoretically deprive the revenue earned from the sale of a particular music track or album.

The law is currently very dubious when it comes to music copyright issues, especially so after the introduction of the controversial Digital Economy Act. Some musicians are happy for people to copy their music as well as certain commercial music tracks having been issued for free at times for promotional purposes.

Thanks for that. I had no idea it was illegal until recently.
I think it was news to most people!
smile.gif

I remember years ago local news programme Calendar with Richard Whiteley doing a story that there were plans to only let households keep video recordings for 31 days and they would have to be erased after this date it obviously never happened.

Latest posts

Back