you're gettin it for less than we paid for it

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

earwig

Registered Shopper
we were watching Far earlier this morning and if he said 'youre getting this for less than we paid for it' once he probably said it at least 4 times and i only had it on for an hour.... but its not just him is it, its also the likes of St.Peter simon, james russell, mike mason, the spiv, that caroline woman, most of em do it and i think it is wrong and very bad practice and if it were true how they were losing out on most of their products they would have closed up shop long ago.. wouldnt it be interesting if you could find out how much they are really buying all this ****** tat for, but we're not likely to find that out are we, what an eye-opener that would be!! THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO SAY IT :angry:

Right most discount stores work on the principal of make 1p profit on any item I assume Bid do too but the P&P means they make more. They might sell an item at £2 plus £7.99 p&p plus telephone call and have bought it in bulk for £8.98. So they have still sold it for less than they paid for technically I think they can get away with it on those grounds.

Right most discount stores work on the principal of make 1p profit on any item I assume Bid do too but the P&P means they make more. They might sell an item at £2 plus £7.99 p&p plus telephone call and have bought it in bulk for £8.98. So they have still sold it for less than they paid for technically I think they can get away with it on those grounds.

I would imagine this is how they get around it. Yes they quite possibly paid more for the actual item, and whilst the money we have to spend on the P&P (which they never mention anyway) gives them the profit they need to keep afloat, they could argue that is has nothing to do with the cost of the product. Let's face it folks if they REALLY did sell everything at a loss, they'd have gone under many moons ago!

I have also noticed how every show these days seems to be "running behind" hence we've got to shift these items for a lot cheaper than we'd have liked to in order to catch up! NO YOU DON'T. If you're were really running late, then you'd cut a couple of products from the hour,no one would be any the wiser, it's not as if they have a strict schedule like the other channels where you have an hour or two of a specific brand or type of product and guest presenters to factor in. With the Sit ups it's pretty much a case of "same shite - different presenter".

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like to see these channels go under, I would just like to see them smarten up their act a bit. Imvho they need to lose a lot of the gimmickry especially the way that they completely "oversell" (probably wrong word) cheap tat...Tanzanite, Swarvoski Crystal etc....We don't need a history lecture, anecdotes about the royal family for 15 minutes before something gets flogged for £6.99 (If the product had any kudos to begin with, it's gone now!) Say it looks posh, say the neighbours might think you've won the lottery...that's about the right "sprinkling" of bullsh*t any shopping channel needs to keep it entertaining!

They need to be upfront about the p&p. Yes, it might seem a lot, but the goods are so cheap, that we reckon you'll still be getting a bargain, and if you agree "buy it buy it buy it!" I also don't think it would hurt them too much to cap the p&p at say two items, it might encourage people to buy more. There's absolutely no way I'd spend £16 to have to small items sent to me, no way, and I'm sure there are many others who agree.

On P&P again, they simply should not be allowed to make a statement such as "You're getting this home for £2" cause you're not, it's a lie, it's not even bullsh*t, it's a downright untruth" It's bad enough them us telling how they paid treble that amount for the same product but of inferior quality, or that they spent the same money on a bacon sandwich and a packet of cheese and onion, but some of the blatant porkies they come out with, i'm surprised their noses don't start growing on air (now that would be funny, wouldn't it?!)

These channels have definitely deteriorated in the last couple of years, and people are noticing!

Last edited:
I think the P&P stops them from selling more stuff and at a better price

Say something goes for £2 and the postage is £7.99, I think what a load of tat that item at £2 must be

Say something went for £7 and the postage was lowered to £2.99, I would be more inclined to think it was a better quality item and I might buy

They add up the same and it's only my opinion but I hate postage charges anyway lol

And I don't mind paying extra postage for a larger item, fair's fair

It's better for them if the item is £2 and postage is £7.99. That way, if you don't like what you get, it's not worth sending back for a £2 refund. They don't refund the postage cost after all!

They also need to say when they suggest multi buying that you still need to pay P&P for every single item so 5 items = nearly £35!

PJ

They also need to say when they suggest multi buying that you still need to pay P&P for every single item so 5 items = nearly £35!

PJ

James Gardener was giving it the biggun about a buyer multibuying five solar lamps last night and I wondered if the buyer knew that he had a £40ish bill for postage waiting for him

It's all such bollocks, isn't it?

If these charlatans tried this in a high street or market store, people would just laugh at them and walk away.

Somehow, it's acceptable to lie and cheat and on a shopping channel.

Just unbelievable! :bandit:

It's better for them if the item is £2 and postage is £7.99. That way, if you don't like what you get, it's not worth sending back for a £2 refund. They
don't refund the postage cost after all!

Under the DSR, customers are allowed the P&P refunded, so if you mention this when sending it back, legally they have to, and they do, as I've done it before.

Under the DSR, customers are allowed the P&P refunded, so if you mention this when sending it back, legally they have to, and they do, as I've done it before.

I think you will find you can only get a refund for postage if an item you buy is faulty.

Last edited:
I think you will find you can only get a refund for postage if an item you buy is faulty.

I don't think so....

"if you are returning goods because you have changed your mind, the refund should include the original cost of delivery but you have to pay the return postage costs. You are only entitled to the return postage costs as well if the goods are faulty, not as described "

No, Benny is correct. As long as you inform them within 7 days from the day after you receive the goods, you are entitled to your original P&P back by law. And, you don't even have to return them within that 7 day period...just inform them of your intention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No, Benny is correct. As long as you inform them within 7 days from the day after you receive the goods, you are entitled to your original P&P back by law. And, you don't even have to return them within that 7 day period...just inform them of your intention.

That of course only applies to the first 7 days whereas the Bid channels offer an extended returns policy; they can theoretically not refund the p&p charge if the item's returned after 7 days but before the 14 days (or whatever it happens to be).

Sent from my iMac using Angry Birds

That of course only applies to the first 7 days whereas the Bid channels offer an extended returns policy; they can theoretically not refund the p&p charge if the item's returned after 7 days but before the 14 days (or whatever it happens to be).

Sent from my iMac using Angry Birds

By law, you do NOT have to return them within the 7 days to get your P&P back, just notify the supplier. The fact that the sh1t-up channels offer 14 days is irrelevant in this instance - if they refuse, they break the law :)

By law, you do NOT have to return them within the 7 days to get your P&P back, just notify the supplier. The fact that the sh1t-up channels offer 14 days is irrelevant in this instance - if they refuse, they break the law :)
Maybe, but the Distance Selling Regulations are VERY specific in relation to timescales and conditions attached; so much so that a retailer can reject a refund request if the item in question has been obviously abused before its return, eg. trampled by a herd of buffalo or shredded in a combine harvester :)

And what's more I've found this document whilst using Google to search for further information:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf

One of the exemptions to the DSR (page 4): "auction sales, including online and interactive TV auctions. They do apply to some activities described as auctions depending on exactly when and how the sale occurs".

Last edited:
I stand corrected on the refunded postage iissue. However, I have returned several items to both sit-up and QVC, but have never been refunded my initial postage cost. I did return a defective blender/soup maker to sit-up a few months back and they refunded the £7.99 postage, but did not refund the £11 + return postage!

Anyway, the way things now stand with sit-up, I doubt I will ever buy from them again! I now just use them as a form of entertainment when there's nothing else worth watching.

Latest posts

Back