Cook's Essentials pressure cooker - can you recommend?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

clemenzina

Registered Shopper
Searched this forum but no results for 'pressure cooker', so I'm asking:

Have you used this? What do you think of it? Many of QVC's reviews are awful, yet others are 5-star :33:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.827243/walk.yah.UKHG-UK14#reviews

It seems to fit my need for a large saucepan/casserole, and it ought to be energy-saving. I just bought a second-hand full-size induction hob to replace my gas one (I'm no good at keeping it clean), so I need to save money and this pressure cooker looks so good but...

I've given all my Prestige copper-bottomed to the cleaner (not my personal cleaner, you understand, but the lady who does the communal areas :11:).

clemenzina

I haven't used this one but it looks fine for the money,i have a Tefal one that cost more than twice this amount.I love pressure cookers for making stock etc wouldn't say i use it more than once a week but defo wouldn't be without one.

Thumbs up

Searched this forum but no results for 'pressure cooker', so I'm asking:

Have you used this? What do you think of it? Many of QVC's reviews are awful, yet others are 5-star :33:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.827243/walk.yah.UKHG-UK14#reviews

It seems to fit my need for a large saucepan/casserole, and it ought to be energy-saving. I just bought a second-hand full-size induction hob to replace my gas one (I'm no good at keeping it clean), so I need to save money and this pressure cooker looks so good but...

I've given all my Prestige copper-bottomed to the cleaner (not my personal cleaner, you understand, but the lady who does the communal areas :11:).

clemenzina

Hi,
I bought one of these for my husband when it was the TSV - he is the main chef in our house - and he even washes up as he goes along - I am a lucky girl! Anyway, I had to get QVC to send out a set of instructions which we could read, as the original ones were so small, we got eye-strain trying to decipher them! The pressure cooker itself has been great and we had a beautiful piece of Scotch brisket today for lunch, cooked in the pressure cooker, with the veg in the top basket and it was delicious.

He has used it for lots of different meals and the results have all been good, but trial and error seems to be the only way to really learn about its capabilities and a Recipe book would be a really great idea. Perhaps QVC should get Adrienne Cleasby to write one! It would be a great stocking filler for Christmas!
:D:D

Ooooo full size induction that's the way to go.
I know, and it's a fabulous bargain @ £165, it's even got the scuffs and scratches "built on" so I don't have to christen it :32:

Snoopy, it's a "low pressure" cooker, so it doesn't cook as quickly as your Tefal.

Lots of the reviews are dire, about the cooker itself and the inadequate, unreadable instructions.

So I'm relieved to read your experience, Plint, but what worries me now is that I've had a look at qvc.com and it's not among their umpteen pressure cookers :2: ... so I'm wondering if they've off-loaded the remaining stock onto UK?

clemenzina

I had to get QVC to send out a set of instructions which we could read, as the original ones were so small, we got eye-strain trying to decipher them!
I've managed to acquire an "as new" second-hand one, but there's no instructions with it. Phoned QVC CS, they made enquiries and said "Sorry, we haven't got any we can send".

So if anyone can scan theirs for me, or type up the basics, or write a recipe book ;) I'd be ever so grateful :15:

clemenzina

i bought this when it was the tsv but found it was not that great and sent it back. i found that it was difficult to gage what temp it was actually at - according to the demo it was at the right pressure when steam started to be released from the valve. but sometimes the valve just seemed temperamental and would start releasing loads of steam when i had taken the lid off to check inside...to be honest it was my first go at a pressure/quick cooker and it was probably me not really understanding it so i have decided to go for a more idiot-proof one. it is a really good roomy pan, and non-stick is great but it is not feature packed so makes it a little too easy to go wrong if you are a novice, IMO.

I am so disappointed with mine. I watched the demos and believed eveything cooked quickly and it was in fact like my Prestige one. I would not recommend this to anyone who wants a pressure cooker - invest in a proper one!

I've got one and had it a while now, dont really think it cooks much quicker, nowhere as fast as a normal pressure cooker,
have to admit I only use it to cook my dogs meat (they have chicken thighs and mince which i cook about three times a week:33:) So its handy as its a really big pan.But wouldn't use it otherwise

I wouldn't use a 'proper' pressure cooker often enough to warrant 'investing' in one - and for a decent one, 'invest' is the appropriate word :53: I read the reviews for this one on the website and decided that it will make a good quality large non-stick saucepan if it doesn't hack it as a pressure cooker, and I got it for £20. When it arrived without the instructions I thought "That's OK, cos Plint got them sent out separately by QVC"... but now they say they haven't got any :(

So, as requested above, I would be very grateful if someone who's already got instructions could pass them on to me, by hook or by crook.

clemenzina

Instructions

I wouldn't use a 'proper' pressure cooker often enough to warrant 'investing' in one - and for a decent one, 'invest' is the appropriate word :53: I read the reviews for this one on the website and decided that it will make a good quality large non-stick saucepan if it doesn't hack it as a pressure cooker, and I got it for £20. When it arrived without the instructions I thought "That's OK, cos Plint got them sent out separately by QVC"... but now they say they haven't got any :(

So, as requested above, I would be very grateful if someone who's already got instructions could pass them on to me, by hook or by crook.

clemenzina
Hi,
I could scan the instructions and either post you a hard copy, or email you an attachment, whichever you prefer. I have to go out in a few minutes, but if you give me your address or email address, I will sort it out over the weekend for you. Please PM the details to me if you want me to go ahead.
Cheers,
plint
:1::1::1:

Thanks SO much to Plint for emailing me the instructions :1:

I see what everyone means about their inadequacy, you'd think they'd give a recipe or two :( I also notice:

Even though this product is metal utensil safe we recommend using wooden/heat-resistant plastic/silicone cooking utensils.

It gets on me tots when Adrienne goes on about using metal utensils and insists on scraping them in the pans - sets my teeth on edge, and you know it will damage the surface sooner rather than later.

Thanks again to Plint :10:

clemenzina

You are welcome

Thanks SO much to Plint for emailing me the instructions :1:

I see what everyone means about their inadequacy, you'd think they'd give a recipe or two :( I also notice:

Even though this product is metal utensil safe we recommend using wooden/heat-resistant plastic/silicone cooking utensils.

It gets on me tots when Adrienne goes on about using metal utensils and insists on scraping them in the pans - sets my teeth on edge, and you know it will damage the surface sooner rather than later.

Thanks again to Plint :10:

clemenzina

Hi,
You are very welcome. I made soup in the low pressure cooker yesterday and it was lovely, according to my mam and my husband, who were my guinea pigs!
:1::1:

I've got hardly any food in because my kitchen's been being 'done' for a month (am being taken shopping today, but there's another story to that), so last night, in desperation, I cooked fried brown rice, onions & garlic and added in some frozen veg and soy sauce. Not exactly inspiring, but it didn't stick whatsoever (as AY would say). I'd say I probably didn't have the heat high enough to start with so the cooking time was not reduced, but it cooked it well.

clemenzina

Latest posts

Back