duvet covers .....appalling quality warning!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Recently from Next I bought a set of two duvet covers and they set me back £35, the quality was fabulous, but the set conisted of two identical covers...very smart design, but would have preferred two different ones. Then I saw the sit ups were doing twin pack duvet cover deals, with absolutely gorgeous designs on them and at the time there was a P&P deal, so in all they set me back just £27 for the two. I put them away as I'd only just changed the duvet, then for some reason when I changed the bed again I didn't use one of them, and boy, I wish I did as I'd have been within the money back guarantee time!

Yesterday I put one of them on, as soon as I opened the packet I thought OMG!!! The fabric was creased, shiny and practically tranparent, they felt okay to sleep under, but this morning when I was plumping up the pillows I noticed the stitching on the pillow cases was nearly torn already and it's not as if I've tried to stuff over sized plump pillows into them, just normal ones. When I looked at the pack I noticed they were 100% polyester! I've always taken for granted that duvet sets are a poly/cotton mix..even the cheap ones in Primark are of reasonable quality. The only place I could imagine one would be able to buy such sub standard merchandise (apart from at a market stall) would be Poundstretcher perhaps..and I woudn't have had to pay nearly £30 if I bought them there.

Don't be tempted, how ever good they look on screen.....the quality is shocking!

In theory, if you have the receipt you could still attempt to get your money back due to the fact that the product wasn't "of merchantable quality", regardless of whether or not it's still covered by the money back guarantee. (See the Sale of Goods Act, etc.) The Citizen's Advice Bureau could be of assistance in this matter.

Oh dear. Never trust Sit-up. They sell cheap tat. :devil:

I 've bought a couple of items from Bid both 4 to 5 years ago. The first was a gold 1 ct diamond trilogy ring which has a whopping gold weight and reasonable quality diamonds bought for a great price. (It sparkles like mad and has received many compliments) The 2nd was mattress topper again at a fab price. I think the days of good bargains are long gone. Nowadays it seems to be total tat at vastly inflated prices. I doubt very much whether I'll ever buy from them again.

Mike and Marina were selling some animal print bedding last night. Double duvet, pillowcases, runner and cushion, all for £9.99. When he picked the runner up it looked flimsy and tatty. £9.99 is too cheap to be decent quality for all that.

Marina was saying how she'd bought a cushion from Debenhams and it was smaller than the cushion they were presenting and she paid £15 just for that. Well the cushion would be good quality for that.

The presenters very often buy their stuff elsewhere, which is a good indication.

They always compare what prices would be in shops but that's neither here nor there. Now if they said that Debenhams were selling the exact same items for £40 and they were selling them for £10, I would be impressed. Many places sell bedding, with many different price tags.

They often say that they bought a similar item somewhere else for a much higher price. They never seem to buy the actual tat that they sell. They can obviously see what rubbish most of it is!

I had some good bargains from them a few years ago too, but don't buy from them any more.

try not to get sucked in and persuaded by the likes of st.peter or james russell with their special brands of bull, their crappy old watches, their sub standard bedding, their expensive weed killer, their orrible ****** prints that are 'worth thousands of pounds', their magic cloths which create their own magnetic field, their god awful swarovski crystal ****** swans, their rarer than diamonds tanzanite, their shi**y old worry angels, their ill fitting dr.cringles (guy said he had to take them off cos his feet were killing him ha ha), their cross eyed meercats, there is so much more that i cant think of... just look on-line and compare prices and you can nearly always find the same thing much cheaper elsewhere... tiffanyesque my arse!!!!

try not to get sucked in and persuaded by the likes of st.peter or james russell with their special brands of bull, their crappy old watches, their sub standard bedding, their expensive weed killer, their orrible ****** prints that are 'worth thousands of pounds', their magic cloths which create their own magnetic field, their god awful swarovski crystal ****** swans, their rarer than diamonds tanzanite, their shi**y old worry angels, their ill fitting dr.cringles (guy said he had to take them off cos his feet were killing him ha ha), their cross eyed meercats, there is so much more that i cant think of... just look on-line and compare prices and you can nearly always find the same thing much cheaper elsewhere... tiffanyesque my arse!!!![/QUO

Now don't you hold back there earwig, you tell it as it is pal!

Ps. You forgot the Baylis and Harding gift boxes at Christmas. The very same sell in cheapo shops for downwards from £3.99.
Naff solar lights like flowers, insects, fairies etc which sell at B&M for a fiver... and they aren't worth that.
Plastic handbags...' You can't tell they aren't leather' Oh yes I can.
Best laugh I had was when they were selling glass chopping boards with a sticky back plastic scene on them You can get 'em for £2.99 at Wellworths. A fool of a girl looked at the camera and said 'I paid close on £20 for mine. If that was true, she shouldn't be let out alone.

you must be as amazed as i am, sitting there in wonderment as the 'people at ome' are ringing up and actually thinking to themselves 'o look at lovely battery operated vegetable peeler, i must have one of those and the postage is very reasonable' i just dont get it...

Please don't think that when the Bid presenters say they paid more for a similar item elsewhere that it's true-it's all bull!
It's the same as when Paul Becque says 'I bought one of these for my dad!' or when the assistants say they tried to buy a gift box the other day and the shop wanted £8, and we're giving you the box plus the bangle for £6.50-it's all bull.
False personal anecdotes are a speciality on Bid TV-every word is carefully crafted to extract money.

6 or 7 years ago I brought 2 sets of Egyptian towels that where really good quality and are still going strong.
I don't even watch these days as it makes me cringe to see people being ripped off of their hard earned cash.
It is usually those who can afford it least who fall for these types of sales techniques.
The old motto of if it looks to good to be true then it IS to good to be true.
So Buyer beware of exaggerated claims and sales hype.

Just a quick update...as I said before the stitching looked weak, well after three days of wear both pillowcases had completely torn...GGGRRR! Ive just phoned C/S as this has been my first opportunity to do so and I'm sending them back for a refund. If I buy from these channels again I'm going to stick to the stuff I know and trust only. Their costume jewellery is fab, you can get the odd bargain on Elizabeth Arden stuff...other than that I'm steering well clear!

Latest posts

Back