The Thomas Earnshaw thread.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

radio_dayz

Registered Shopper
I know there is already a thread concerning the quality of Thomas Earnshaw waches. I started this thread as a means to record all of the old pony spoken on the channels about these watches.

To start it off.

Last night I switched on price-drop just before I went to bed and there was good old Paul Burke wearing a Team PD sweatshirt. He is a card! He brought to air one of the good old Thomas Earnshaws. One of the first things he said was "Thomas Earnshaw is a british watch maker". Notice the word is, and not was. So one would assume that the watch was made in Britain. Now what some of us knew from the very start is that these watches are in fact made in China! He then went into the usual history of Thomas Earnshaw and how he invented a new device that goes into a watch (however he never told us what this device was though). He told us how the watch was automatic and it had 14 carat gold on the case. Well that's one way to make it sound that the case is actually gold and not gold plated. One of his best comments was "How many of your friends have something that goes back over 300 years?" He did correct that 300 to 200 after a quick recalculation. Well forget the 200 years, let's go back just a few months since the channels started selling the brand!

Boy, can these people tell 'em.

I think this watch sold for about £80 after a starting price of £200

Here is the real origin of the Thomas Earnshaw watches in a page from the catalogue of the Europa Star Watch Show 2011.

http://www.europastar.com/magazine/...-s-sphere-of-interest-europa-star-s-hong.html
The Earnshaw entry is about half way down.

Here is the trademark registration;

http://www.trademarkia.com/thomas-earnshaw-85387798.html

The long winded intro to the sales pitch was developed for Bid by an outside company called Mirror Image-here is their press release on the subject; http://mirrorimagefilms.co.uk/thomas-earnshaw/

Bid Tv should be thoroughly ashamed of the way they have consistently passed this product off as having a historic British heritage.

And as for Mr Russell's claim that the strap is 'hand stitched Italian leather' I can only say 'Really?'

I think every watch Russell sells has a hand stitched italian leather strap. He said that one night about a watch he was selling and the strap didn't have a stitch in it!7

He's an utter plonker of the highest order!

Thanks for the info aqua. Very interesting.

Last edited:
Here's another recent fine example of James Russell bull;
'When he was a young boy Christian (sic) Lars dreamed of becoming a hirologist'
Apart from the fact that Christin Lars is a made up name,Christin is, in Scandinavia,a girl's name.

Just watching Peter Simon trying to shift some Earnshaws - apparently they'd made a 'mistake' when the price dropped to £70 when they wanted £200 for it! According to Peter the strap alone would cost you fifty quid. :wonder: I can't believe anyone would be daft enough to fall for this clap-trap.

Here's another recent fine example of James Russell bull;
'When he was a young boy Christian (sic) Lars dreamed of becoming a hirologist'
Apart from the fact that Christin Lars is a made up name,Christin is, in Scandinavia,a girl's name.

I think Mr. Russell dreamt that one up on his own!

Seriously, I often wonder if he's taking the perverbial, being totally serious and believes in what he's saying, deluded or desperate??

Or all of the above :emo:

Dear old Peter Simon just sold a couple more Earnshaws. "These are worth an absolute fortune" was the first bit of BS. And then "These are way above Breitling"!!! Talk about lies and clap trap. How on earth can you compare a Chinese made Earnshaw to a watch which costs thousands of pounds? The next watch started of at £78, the price the previous watch sold for. "You'd pay that for a plastic watch" says he. Oh no I ****** wouldn't!!

The lies and nosense just gets worse!

Love to know the price they buy them in at - suspect it's no more than a tenner. I have no problem with them making a decent margin, but why not be honest rather than coming out with all the crap about them having some sort of heritage and being top quality? The deceit is really quite shocking. Shame on the presenters that peddle this garbage.

A big problem with the Earnshaw selling pitch is that there's usually little to no differentiation between the history lesson and the accompanying watch sale; indeed there's only one clue that the two aren't actually connected in the short promotional clip they sometimes show at the start of the sale.

Now if they said that the watch was 'inspired' by the Earnshaw legacy as opposed to blatantly implying a direct connection, then that would be a major step in the right direction. It is, after all, a watch that (more often than not) isn't worth much more than £30 retail.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

New to the forum but simply had to join tonight (after much lurking and reading) as l was totally stunned to hear dear old James Russell attempt to sell a Thomas Earnshaw watch tonight by implying it was the same name as that used in the TV series Only Fools And Horses when Del and Rodney discover the Thomas HARRISON 'Lesser' watch in their garage. Yep, he said watch that episode and you'll be surprised at the name they use. Yes we will James, as it's not the same one you are lying it is! :taphead:

A big problem with the Earnshaw selling pitch is that there's usually little to no differentiation between the history lesson and the accompanying watch sale; indeed there's only one clue that the two aren't actually connected in the short promotional clip they sometimes show at the start of the sale.

Now if they said that the watch was 'inspired' by the Earnshaw legacy as opposed to blatantly implying a direct connection, then that would be a major step in the right direction. It is, after all, a watch that (more often than not) isn't worth much more than £30 retail.

Mikey Mason said that last night just before the history lesson :nod:

I saw Russell introduce the Earnshaws last night, but didn't wait up to watch the presentation. He said they were hand made! The lies never end.

Latest posts

Back